Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    Maybe

I'm staying in Camp Loner (because I'm a loser and our planned group fell apart and I'm a bit of a pussy if I'm completely honest)
    What happened to you recreating your revealing outfit you wore somewhere (London? I can't be arsed looking for the post :p:) and coming to find me in my bunny outfit? :sad:
    (or did I just decide that was happening myself? :p:)

irt Slipknot, I think the big deal is that a) it's their only UK show this year, b) it's their first UK show/world tour without Paul Gray, c) very likely to be their final UK show/worldwide tour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    What happened to you recreating your revealing outfit you wore somewhere (London? I can't be arsed looking for the post :p:) and coming to find me in my bunny outfit? :sad:
    (or did I just decide that was happening myself? :p:)

irt Slipknot, I think the big deal is that a) it's their only UK show this year, b) it's their first UK show/world tour without Paul Gray, c) very likely to be their final UK show/worldwide tour
    I'm still up for that (although possibly not the super-revealing outfit, I'm very burnt at the moment!)

Ah yeah, he died didn't he? Hmm.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still up for that (although possibly not the super-revealing outfit, I'm very burnt at the moment!)

Ah yeah, he died didn't he? Hmm.
    Good! On the Friday there should be a hulk, a guy in a blue morph suit looking like a smurf, and me in my tights with an S on my chest. Rest of the weekend will probably be bunny

He did. This is basically a memorial tour. There's also going to be 2 minutes silence on Sunday at 2pm...I think across all stages

ReputationRep:
    SO. Who went and who blew you away?

And just how epic was Slipknot's finale? I thought the tribute to Paul Gray was fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    For me (and I'm sure I'll get neg's for it) the headliners were the low point. I found standing around catching fleeting glimpses of Metallica for 2 hours pretty dull, but that't probably because I only really like a few of their songs. I didn't watch Biffy but i probably would've quite liked them. Slipknot were okay but they certainly didn't blow me away. I was quite a long way from the stage (pretty much in line with the sound tent) so it wasn't that fun either, but they certainly put on a good show so I can't detract that from them.

Friday highlights: Slayer, the wrestling matches in the Megadeth pit, The Black Dahlia Murder (though I think they were better when I saw them last August). A few of the songs on the Metallica set were really really good, like One, Fade To Black, Sad But True, and of course Enter Sandman. Low Point was not being able to get in to see Protest the Hero because some fool put them in the smallest tent they could find even though they've created one of the best albums of the year...

Saturday: Sylosis were better than I expected them to be which is a good thing indeed because I expected them to be good haha. The pitting at Gallows was the best of the whole festival. Richard Cheese was pretty funny but disappointed he didn't play Chop Suey. Periphery played surprisingly well (a friend of mine who'd seen them on the League of Extraordinary Djentlemen tour said they were bad live). Low Points were the lack of old tracks in the Architects set, I was a bit disappointed by what I saw of Mars Volta, not watching biffy and missing Gojira.

Sunday: Parkway Drive played a really solid set, could've done with some old stuff though, but I do love Deep Blue. Mastodon played an awesome set, but lack of Oblivion. Opeth were crazy good, they played some of their best songs, if anything their set was too short. Anterior on the jagermeister stage was for me one of the best bands of the whole weekend, hiding away on the smallest stage, those who saw them really got lucky. Bill Bailey was amazing. And a few of the songs out of Slipknot's set (OK, just Duality and Before I Forget... And Psychosocial.... and People = ****...) Low Point: Having to go home after Slipknot instead of partying the night away.

Although these comments may seem like I hated the whole experience, I actually thought pretty much everyone I saw was absolutely amazing, this is just me being critical for the sake of it, so don't neg me TOOO much.

ReputationRep:
    It was amazing! Metallica and Slipknot were just wow!

Biffy were better than i thought they would be.

ReputationRep:
    So, how was everyone's weekend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventura7)
    It was amazing! Metallica and Slipknot were just wow!

Biffy were better than i thought they would be.
    A lot of people were sceptical about Biffy but afterwards you couldnt deny they are a great live band.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    So, how was everyone's weekend?
    Painful due to all the moshing and heavy drinking, but otherwise an awesome weekend

Bad Religion, Weezer, Biffy Clyro, limp bizkit, gojira and Slipknot were especially outstanding

ReputationRep:
    My favourite sets in order:

1) Slipknot (I was at the front in the centre - ****ing incredible)
    2) Sum 41
    3) Firewind
    4) Anterior
    5) Protest The Hero

I also met Firewind, Anterior and Sylosis. Sylosis' shred session and Q&A was one of my highlights - Josh Middleton is a really nice guy and a quality guitarist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obfuscator)
    For me (and I'm sure I'll get neg's for it) the headliners were the low point. I found standing around catching fleeting glimpses of Metallica for 2 hours pretty dull, but that't probably because I only really like a few of their songs. I didn't watch Biffy but i probably would've quite liked them. Slipknot were okay but they certainly didn't blow me away. I was quite a long way from the stage (pretty much in line with the sound tent) so it wasn't that fun either, but they certainly put on a good show so I can't detract that from them.

Friday highlights: Slayer, the wrestling matches in the Megadeth pit, The Black Dahlia Murder (though I think they were better when I saw them last August). A few of the songs on the Metallica set were really really good, like One, Fade To Black, Sad But True, and of course Enter Sandman. Low Point was not being able to get in to see Protest the Hero because some fool put them in the smallest tent they could find even though they've created one of the best albums of the year...

Saturday: Sylosis were better than I expected them to be which is a good thing indeed because I expected them to be good haha. The pitting at Gallows was the best of the whole festival. Richard Cheese was pretty funny but disappointed he didn't play Chop Suey. Periphery played surprisingly well (a friend of mine who'd seen them on the League of Extraordinary Djentlemen tour said they were bad live). Low Points were the lack of old tracks in the Architects set, I was a bit disappointed by what I saw of Mars Volta, not watching biffy and missing Gojira.

Sunday: Parkway Drive played a really solid set, could've done with some old stuff though, but I do love Deep Blue. Mastodon played an awesome set, but lack of Oblivion. Opeth were crazy good, they played some of their best songs, if anything their set was too short. Anterior on the jagermeister stage was for me one of the best bands of the whole weekend, hiding away on the smallest stage, those who saw them really got lucky. Bill Bailey was amazing. And a few of the songs out of Slipknot's set (OK, just Duality and Before I Forget... And Psychosocial.... and People = ****...) Low Point: Having to go home after Slipknot instead of partying the night away.

Although these comments may seem like I hated the whole experience, I actually thought pretty much everyone I saw was absolutely amazing, this is just me being critical for the sake of it, so don't neg me TOOO much.
    I was really pissed off that Parkway Drive didn't play Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em. Or anything of Killing With A Smile for that matter. It's easily their best album.

I saw Protest and they were good as always but the sound quality in the tent was poor. So bad in fact that I couldn't tell what song they were playing until about half a minute into each (and I know them all inside out). They played (in order) C'est La Vie, Bone Marrow, Sequoia Throne, Wretch, Bloodmeat, Sex Tapes.

Anterior was ****ing incredible - worth missing Alestorm and Limp Bizkit. But I knew that already hence why I went to see them. The bassist was playing right in my face at the end of the closing song, I was so happy .

Also, I agree about Sylosis and Periphery. It appears we saw pretty much the same sets as each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt10101)
    Painful due to all the moshing and heavy drinking, but otherwise an awesome weekend

Bad Religion, Weezer, Biffy Clyro, limp bizkit, gojira and Slipknot were especially outstanding
    I got a fist to the lip, an elbow to the throat and my leg crushed twice, the first 2 and one leg crushing during Slipknot, the other leg crushing in the pile of a pit during Cavalera Conspiracy.

My throat is so sore, before the elbow, I think through a combination of far too much shisha, weed and screaming.

I also got offered 50p for anal whilst at the urinals in my bunny girl outfit, and a man offered his son's hand in marriage to me.

All in all, a damn good weekend!

Oh and I loved the fact Limp Bizkit only played one track off the new album. I've yet to hear the album, so it would have been far less enjoyable if the set was mostly from that. And some guy got me up on his shoulders in my bunny outfit during them

ReputationRep:
    So awesome. Not as good as last year, but still awesome. Bad points were You me at Six, The other one after them, ... Biffy Clyro (we tried, we really did...)

You know it's a poor choice of headliner when you can take a slow stroll down the hill to the stage and still get right up against the second barrier. When we'd decided enough was enough - there were huge gaps where no one was standing and droves of people walking away because they were bored. They were very good at what they did, but it was actually boring. They were just at the wrong festival and the fact that not so many people turned up and even less stayed for the end proves that.

The management of the Bohemia tent was appalling and we're making a complaint. 2 bands we were unable to get in to see.

Metallica - SO awesome. Slipknot - ****ing awesome.

I loved In Flames but was really disappointed with the sound quality for many of the bands (and Bill Bailey) on that stage, that was a real shame.
    Black Tide too, I love their old stuff but was a little disappointed with the new direction they're going in.

Throughout the entire The Mars Volta set I was just like o.O And when he couldn't get back onto the stage :rofl:

So all in all a great weekend. We're thinking of going for Rock Royalty next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm. I found it a bit hit-and-miss, but then I did split up with my boyfriend in our tent on Saturday afternoon and then have a small emotional breakdown on Sunday and just crying all day. :facepalm:

Really enjoyed Diamondhead, Anthrax and Megadeth. Not so much Slayer or Metallica, but I wasn't huge fans of them anyway.

Richard Cheese on Saturday was really good.
    But then Weezer cheered me up considerably, I'm so glad they played Teenage Dirtbag.
    Sum 41 were good, so much nostalgia :love: The crowd were pretty mental though and several crowdsurfers landed on my head!
    Mars Volta were good, but yeah, there was definitely something up with the sound on the Saturn stage.

Biffy were AMAZING, the highlight of the weekend. Ended up with a group of people who all got topless. There's a photo or two of my tits floating round on the internet now, but they were all so nice. No one around us seemed to mind that Biffy were there, but then, we were very close to the front.

Alestorm were great, but the staff at the Bohemia stage were so ****. Almost impossible to get into without getting crushed into a barrier (I have a huge bruise on my back from it).

Met some lovely people too (the guys in the tents either side of us talked about skull****ing until 4am... and people next to us during the Big 4 were very generous with the rum they'd smuggled in).

Oh yeah, and the Luxury Loos were a godsend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    I was really pissed off that Parkway Drive didn't play Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em. Or anything of Killing With A Smile for that matter. It's easily their best album.

I saw Protest and they were good as always but the sound quality in the tent was poor. So bad in fact that I couldn't tell what song they were playing until about half a minute into each (and I know them all inside out). They played (in order) C'est La Vie, Bone Marrow, Sequoia Throne, Wretch, Bloodmeat, Sex Tapes.

Anterior was ****ing incredible - worth missing Alestorm and Limp Bizkit. But I knew that already hence why I went to see them. The bassist was playing right in my face at the end of the closing song, I was so happy .

Also, I agree about Sylosis and Periphery. It appears we saw pretty much the same sets as each other.

I don't think Killing With A Smile is their best album, it certainly has the best breakdowns in which they should've considered when they played live. When I saw them back last November they played Romance is Dead and I think that was all from that album, really needs Smoke 'em.

That Protest set list sounds pretty good for the short time they had. I think Hair-trigger is way better than Sex Tapes, though I do love that whole album.

I was right at the barrier for Anterior too, we probably saw each other numerous times over the weekend hahaha. Really hyped for their new album now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    So awesome. Not as good as last year, but still awesome. Bad points were You me at Six, The other one after them, ... Biffy Clyro (we tried, we really did...)

You know it's a poor choice of headliner when you can take a slow stroll down the hill to the stage and still get right up against the second barrier. When we'd decided enough was enough - there were huge gaps where no one was standing and droves of people walking away because they were bored. They were very good at what they did, but it was actually boring. They were just at the wrong festival and the fact that not so many people turned up and even less stayed for the end proves that.

The management of the Bohemia tent was appalling and we're making a complaint. 2 bands we were unable to get in to see.

Metallica - SO awesome. Slipknot - ****ing awesome.

I loved In Flames but was really disappointed with the sound quality for many of the bands (and Bill Bailey) on that stage, that was a real shame.
    Black Tide too, I love their old stuff but was a little disappointed with the new direction they're going in.

Throughout the entire The Mars Volta set I was just like o.O And when he couldn't get back onto the stage :rofl:

So all in all a great weekend. We're thinking of going for Rock Royalty next year.
    I completely agree with you about the Bohemia tent and the sound quality of the Saturn stage. I turned up early for both Hayseed Dixie and Steve-o and didn't get into to either of them which was terrible.

Also one of the main bands that i wanted to see over the weekend was In Flames, and once I turned up it sounded ****, the bass just overpowered any of the music, I eventually just left. And Bill Bailley was completely inaudible for me at the back of the crowd.

Luckily the amazingness of Limp and Slipknot made up for the sound problems on sunday by being amazing

ReputationRep:
    The sound was so bass heavy because the bass needs to be turned up really loud in order to be carried across the whole open air arena, since such frequencies usually rely on resonating from solid structures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yituool)
    The sound was so bass heavy because the bass needs to be turned up really loud in order to be carried across the whole open air arena, since such frequencies usually rely on resonating from solid structures.
    Probably didn't help that it was really windy on Friday.

So annoyed that they lowered the screens though, I was surrounded by tall people and had to keep jumping up and down to see anything

ReputationRep:
    Probably didn't help that it was really windy on Friday.

So annoyed that they lowered the screens though, I was surrounded by tall people and had to keep jumping up and down to see anything
    Feels good to be tall. But what pisses me off is when you're just sitting there, too tired to stand, and you've got a good view, but it's then ruined by people in front of you standing up, when you could've all got a good view sitting down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yituool)
    Feels good to be tall. But what pisses me off is when you're just sitting there, too tired to stand, and you've got a good view, but it's then ruined by people in front of you standing up, when you could've all got a good view sitting down.
    Yeah.

So glad there were places selling camping chairs though! I stupidly didn't think I'd need one... and then bought one first thing on Saturday morning

Also, really passive-aggressive people in the crowd behind you who *****ed endlessly when you stood in front of them because they were taller than you and you couldn't see.
    I may have given one woman a right mouthful for doing that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.