Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Four weeks to go for me and I have never felt more stressed or hopeless on this course than I do now! I'm half way through my final placement in a school that doesn't really suit me, but I guess I just have to push through it and keep going...
    Stress of job applications doesn't help either!

Has anyone here managed to secure a job for September yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    x
    Reading that I feel like I have it easy now! haha. Are you Primary or Secondary?

I don't have a QTS folder because our Uni has an online thing that has the same purpose. Also has extensive documentation that (supposedly) demonstrates how we've met the standards.
    Today I have to finish my weekly plans (literacy, numeracy and foundation subjects) for next week, plan my 2 lessons for tomorrow and hopefully do a bit for Tuesday. Also got a job application to do. I feel like I've completely wasted half term by doing nothing at all... Still have lots of lesson evaluations to do, pupil profiles to write (haven't even started) and several standards to meet in the next four weeks so it's going to be hell.
    Like you I am fine with settling for 'satisfactory', even though on previous placements I've been graded as 'good' for both. This school just doesn't suit me and my tutor has ridiculously high expectations. Hopefully I might be able to drag things up to an overall 'good' but not without putting in far more work than my life will allow...

ReputationRep:
    I honestly do not envy people starting their PGCE in September one bit!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellow96)
    Could somebody expand on what a QTS folder actually contains please? I'm starting my PGCE PCET in September so while I won't have one per se, I'm sure I'll have a similar alternative. I don't like keeping track of things like that. I can already feel myself slipping behind and I haven't even started yet.
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/training-provi...standards.aspx

There are 33 standards that you have to prove you've met to get QTS, so you basically have to evidence all of them either in a file or on the computer, depending how your uni does it.

Then for each bit of evidence you have, you have to fill in a form saying how this piece of evidence proves that you've met that standard. The standards are annoyingly written and vague enough that you need to have a couple of pieces of evidence for each thing.

Do you get QTS with a PCET? if you do, then I'd assume you'd have to do a QTS folder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannydee)
    I feel like I've completely wasted half term by doing nothing at all...
    I wish I was you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I wish I was you
    Believe me, you don't. I'm going to be playing catch-up all week now! Probably won't be able to see my boyfriend at all because I'll be so busy... Barely done anything yet today so don't know how much sleep I'll be getting tonight either... :/

Good luck with the last few weeks everyone, it'll so be worth it when you're done!

ReputationRep:
      Believe me, you don't. I'm going to be playing catch-up all week now! Probably won't be able to see my boyfriend at all because I'll be so busy... Barely done anything yet today so don't know how much sleep I'll be getting tonight either... :/
      I'm not seeing my boyfriend until the course is done now in July, more than likely.

This next week is going to be hell - I've got my uni tutor visiting me for their observation of this placement then on Thursday my QTS folder is due in, then the following Monday I've got to submit all of the reflective tasks/themes and so far I've done about 2 of them. Too much to do and not enough time.

ReputationRep:
      I'm not seeing my boyfriend until the course is done now in July, more than likely.

This next week is going to be hell - I've got my uni tutor visiting me for their observation of this placement then on Thursday my QTS folder is due in, then the following Monday I've got to submit all of the reflective tasks/themes and so far I've done about 2 of them. Too much to do and not enough time.
      That sucks Mine lives like 5 minutes away from the school so the fact I'll be too busy to see him is pretty indicative of my stress levels, hah.

Good luck with your observation. I'm getting observed by my uni tutor on Thursday and haven't planned what i'm doing yet... It sounds like your uni is making you do a lot more than mine is though, as far as reflective tasks and things. What does that involve? Try not to get too stressed out though I'm sure you have enough time to get it finished by Monday if you put your mind to it. x

ReputationRep:
      That sucks Mine lives like 5 minutes away from the school so the fact I'll be too busy to see him is pretty indicative of my stress levels, hah.
      Mine lives at the other end of the country, so quite different. We might see each other yet but we haven't booked flights so it depends on the cost.

Good luck with your observation. I'm getting observed by my uni tutor on Thursday and haven't planned what i'm doing yet... It sounds like your uni is making you do a lot more than mine is though, as far as reflective tasks and things. What does that involve? Try not to get too stressed out though I'm sure you have enough time to get it finished by Monday if you put your mind to it. x
      Cheers - you'll be fine

My uni has basically come up with a whole load of irrelevant crap to make us do things so then they can give us Masters level credits that aren't worth anything to anyone unless I want to do my Masters at this uni, which I do not. So its kind of like they've come up with all of this work for the pure sake of making work - so I've got 10 essays of 2000 words that are all due in tomorrow, but I've done them all now (did them over half term) so I discounted that from my list.

When I applied for the PGCE I thought the M level credits were a great idea as I definitely want to do a Masters and potentially even further study after that but I've come to the conclusion that the credits are pointless as no where accepts them so you're just doing more work than you have to in order to get QTS! Do you get anything towards M level at your uni?

When I applied for the PGCE I thought the M level credits were a great idea as I definitely want to do a Masters and potentially even further study after that but I've come to the conclusion that the credits are pointless as no where accepts them so you're just doing more work than you have to in order to get QTS!
        Mine did the same. And then proceeded to try and recruit us back to the uni to do the Masters during the last part of term!
        It was quite frustrating all the work stuff you had to do but it gives you some idea how hectic teaching is with all the things you have to do!

ReputationRep:
        Do you get anything towards M level at your uni?
        Yeah, two out of three of our modules were at M-level (worth a total of 60 credits, apparently). All this really meant is that they were marked at M-level, making it more difficult to pass I suppose. One was a research module involving a 5,000 word mini-dissertation; the other a Creative teaching practice-based report which involved going into a school for a week and team-teaching creatively, then analysing the effects.
        In my opinion, the one that wasn't M-level was the most difficult! This has been reflected in my grades. In the 70s for the M-level ones, and only 62 for the level 6 one.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Popa Dom)
        I'm secondary. Just written my essay, absolutely horrendous quality but its done now. Time to decide, plan lessons for tomorrow or go for a curry with friends and wing it. pretty sure im gonna go for the latter tbh!

As for the whole QTS thing, i reckon it'll be ok, im just annoyed people have left all their observations so late, which means the classes I'm confident in being able to get OFSTED goods in will have either sat their exams and left (year 11) or will be doing revision for their GCSE module (year 10). Not really observable. bottom set year 8s or horrifically behaved year 7s it is then! Would also be helpful if i didnt have so many booster sessions to run after school as well as the next 2 saturdays.. DAMN YOU ACADEMIES
        Hey what do you teach? Pretty sure it's possible to make an observable revision lesson. Have you thought about doing a carousel?

Do you get paid for working on a Saturday?

You guys have all done so well. ITT years are really tough! I know I found my NQT year a piece of wee wee in comparison so hopefully you all will too!

ReputationRep:
        http://www.tda.gov.uk/training-provi...standards.aspx

There are 33 standards that you have to prove you've met to get QTS, so you basically have to evidence all of them either in a file or on the computer, depending how your uni does it.

Then for each bit of evidence you have, you have to fill in a form saying how this piece of evidence proves that you've met that standard. The standards are annoyingly written and vague enough that you need to have a couple of pieces of evidence for each thing.

Do you get QTS with a PCET? if you do, then I'd assume you'd have to do a QTS folder.
        I don't think this is a standard thing. I really hope not, Brookes have not mentioned a QTS file ever and my placement finishes in 4 weeks! We just have to get our mentor at the school to agree we've met a standard, sign it off etc. Dunno about evidence as such, I think lesson observations and discussions form that.

I don't envy that folder, it sounds like a nightmare.

Also, your M level credits sound like a b****. To get mine (40 of them) I had to write 2 x 3000 word essays, one of which was on anything we liked.

ReputationRep:
        My QTS folder was 2 massively full lever arch files annotated with post-its. I have recycled their contents now :mmm:
        • TSR Support Team
        • Wiki Support Team
        • Peer Support Volunteers
        • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
        RE the masters credits. If they're wanting to make teaching a full masters career, then I imagine more places will start to take the masters credits towards a course Hopefully, otherwise it is pretty pointless!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by modgepodge)
        I don't think this is a standard thing. I really hope not, Brookes have not mentioned a QTS file ever and my placement finishes in 4 weeks! We just have to get our mentor at the school to agree we've met a standard, sign it off etc. Dunno about evidence as such, I think lesson observations and discussions form that.

Also, your M level credits sound like a b****. To get mine (40 of them) I had to write 2 x 3000 word essays, one of which was on anything we liked.
        Seriously, why am I not at your uni????

We have to go through the QTS stuff with our mentor who then deems whether we've met a particular standard in terms of outstanding/good/satisfactory/not satisfactory then you've got to go through the whole stupid thing of evidencing it all anyway. And they're damn stupid things to evidence - yes, I speak to parents on a day to day basis, do I have photographic evidence of me speaking to a parent to prove this happens, no.... meaning I've basically had to write out everything I do at school and will present it to my mentor tomorrow and get her to sign to prove I do things like have positive relationships with children.

I've had to do a 6000 word research project, 10 x 2000 word essays and around 20 different reflective tasks of around 500 words each to get 60 Masters credits.... the more and more I read about what other PGCE courses are like, the more and more I realise that I don't think where I am is overly efficient

(Really should quit moaning.... do not want to be identified!)

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by modgepodge)

My university hasn't mentioned a standards folder either, so I'm relieved to hear yours hasn't! I was worried I was supposed to have figured out I needed one and be doing it myself... We have our tutors sign off when we meet standards too by way of a 'tracking grid' which shows all the standards. They just highlight them when they think we've met them. Much more straightforward!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.