Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Xenopus)
      Only two, LOL? There are three all girls colleges just a Cambridge. Are you suggesting that a lucky male has managed to get himself enrolled at one of them?
      Is there a post grad one too?
      I thought for some reason they were letting in men now. They said they were going to a few years back but obviously mustnt have done so in the end.

(Original post by Daniel2010)
        I'm pretty sure you do state your race on the UCAS form so Oxbridge (or any other university) would be able to know your race before you even apply
        You usually state your ethnic background and sexuality orientation but that part of the paperwork doesn't go to the university - it is simply kept by UCAS so they can monitor as part of the equality standards.

Its the same with most jobs these days.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Krebs)
        http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...black-students"The university's admissions data confirms that only one black Briton of Caribbean descent was accepted for undergraduate study at Oxford last year"
        And you are surprised why?

ReputationRep:
        So many people can't handle the truth "There is racism in Britain", thats why they keep giving me a negative rep. Giving me a negative rep won't make the problem go away!

ReputationRep:
        don't think it is anything to do with being racist, more to do with demographics/culture. there will always be less black folks applying to oxbridge and hence less candidates to select from as courses like classics, history of art, history, languages, vet med, music and to some extent politics, philosophy aren't considered as tangible or 'proper' degrees in some black cultures. < still applies at degree level.

Had a mate who really wanted to study classics, parents were having none of it. they were like classics? oya please tell me how you plan to fend for yourself in Ghana with a degree in classics. I will happily buy you any and every encyclopaedia under the sun in classics but you will not study that for a degree. Ended up doing Economics.

ReputationRep:
        Not sure this has anything to do with the colour of their skin. They probably just chose those who were best. There's no evidence to prove otherwise

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jammy21)
        I am black and I read Law at Cambridge. Having said that, I am the only black person in a year group of 200.

I don't think Oxbridge is any more racist than any other prominent institution in this country. And having been through the admissions process, spoken to admissions tutors, and helped out with interviews I can't say that racism plays a discernible role in the admissions process.

I would say this:

- I've spoken to able black students (and there are plenty of them) and many feel that they wouldn't fit in at Oxbridge and so do not apply.
        - These students are often discouraged by their teachers from applying to Oxbridge for the same reason.
        - On average, young black people in this country are more likely, for socio-economic reasons, to go to under-performing schools which means they get worse grades and do not have access to the kind of schooling that enables them to approach interviews with the necessary confidence and resilience.
        - Oxbridge dons are too busy lecturing, tutoring, administrating, writing books and articles and looking after students' pastoral care to be overly concerned about the under-representation of students of a given ethnicity.
        - Cambridge is overwhelming white and middle-class, and the university doesn't really care about the ethnic make-up of its student body. There are more students here born in China or Poland than there are black students.
        - David Lammy's original article was ridiculous and inflammatory. There is certainly a problem, but it's one that needs to be dealt with by the government; the burden should not lie with Oxbridge admissions tutors.
        - There is a difference between racism and passive indifference to ethnic diversity.
        http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/....raceinschools

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEFitWmzlTk

ReputationRep:
        I hate it when newspapers take an enclave of people and victimise them. It is insulting to them, I feel.

Oxbridge take the best students. If it just so happens that only one black person performed well enough on interview to be given a place, then so be it.
        Universities have a reputation to uphold, and employing positive discrimination to admit people of every race and social class for the sake of egality would only impact negatively on the prestige and performance of a university.

Same goes for the state school card, the age card, the gender card, and any other card one could play.

ReputationRep:
        shocking

ReputationRep:
        Hmmm weird much coz one of my friends are black and she is a girl and she got in to do an english degree.

ReputationRep:
        Theres nothing racist about it, maybe those who applied were'nt deemed the best for the course.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jammy21)
        - Oxbridge dons are too busy lecturing, tutoring, administrating, writing books and articles and looking after students' pastoral care to be overly concerned about the under-representation of students of a given ethnicity.
        - There is a difference between racism and passive indifference to ethnic diversity.
        As I understand it, the UK schools aren't really bothered by ethnic diversity (or the lack thereof) - their main objective is to admit the best students based on merit. This is in contrast to the policies of most US schools, where they practice affirmative discrimination in favour of Underrepresented Minorities (URMs). That said, can you really blame Oxbridge for trying to select the best?

If they were that racist though, I would think Asians like me wouldn't be considered at all too. My name alone is a huge giveaway, not forgetting I had to turn up in person for the interviews!

ReputationRep:
        And how many Black Britons of caribbean descent are there compared to others? Precisely

For all we know, they could have accepted tons of Black Africans....

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Daniiel)
        And how many Black Britons of caribbean descent are there compared to others? Precisely

For all we know, they could have accepted tons of Black Africans....

yea they did but not in tons. and for the record, there are always more blk african candidates than carribean.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Krebs)
        http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...black-students

"The university's admissions data confirms that only one black Briton of Caribbean descent was accepted for undergraduate study at Oxford last year"

Way to single someone out.

"I'm black and applied for Law at Oxford this year. Got 5 As at AS level, near-perfect predictions far beyond what they ask for and pretty nifty GCSE grades too. Didn't even get an interview and everyone thought there was something smelly in the water. They never told me why I wasn't good enough. I would be very worried for the future and direction of our society if this is why."- a comment
        Oxford (and most other universities) have literally thousands of new prospective applicants/new students. The admissions people look at all the factors (personal statements/qualifications etc....) regardless of social class, age, ethnicity, gender/sexual orientation.... which is against the law to discriminate against anyway, and judge who is the top candidate for the position to be filled on their own merits, just like any other job etc.... And so, they have not done anything wrong!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Cardiff Kook)
        yea they did but not in tons. and for the record, there are always more blk african candidates than carribean.
        Which is my point....
        The OP is on about Carribean blacks only, not general blacks just carribean.
        I mean, i'm guessing this would be a tiny minority of all applicants.

ReputationRep:
        Because they're racist Freemasons who have genetics of those who initiated the slave trade and are still bitter that blacks now for some considered humans who intellectually as capable if not more than white people. (im not black!!)

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by rylit91)
        I wonder how many white admissions were made in places like UEL.
        Just to reply to this point.

I went to UEL (albeit for my 2nd degree) and I was very much in the minority (I'm white). Nearly all students were black or asian. Which tends to reflect the ethnicity of the borough (Newham) and surrounding boroughs (Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest, Hackney, Barking etc.) - UEL stats show that many UEL students live locally and continue to live with their parents whilst attending Uni.

Beth

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.