Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do any current students know how the gym facilities are? Where the gym is located and whether there is more than one and how busy it generally is?

Also with regards to building, is there a solid range of weights etc.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by fallenangel)
    Do any current students know how the gym facilities are? Where the gym is located and whether there is more than one and how busy it generally is?

Also with regards to building, is there a solid range of weights etc.

The gym facilities were fairly poor but by the time you get there it will be this http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/sports-...h-fitness-club which looks pretty decent.

Obviously being Leicester, with neither big sports scholarships nor a sports science course, you don't get the facilities of the major BUCS unis like Birmingham, Durham, Nottingham etc. and definitely not the lottery funded wonder of Loughborough and Bath. On the bright side you won't get embarassed by some Olympian alternating his 5x30 pull ups set with you.

The main facilities are up at Oadby so will be very convenient in your First year, 5 mins walk, but probably require a bike when you're down in Clarendon or Evington.

If you really want a proper gym close by when you're living in Evington/Clarendon there's a Nuffield right next to campus which is meant to be really good, but obviously it is expensive.

There's also a gym in the SU on campus, which is small but not badly stocked for weights, if useless for cardio.

Both of these can get busy at peak times but it's never anything ridiculous, you just have to switch around what order you plan to work things depending when the equipment becomes available.

The free weights are decent at both but there wasn't usually enough of them when it got really busy. Obviously I don't know what you lift, but they went up to 34 on dumbbells which is enough for most.

If you do want to lift more, and can play, join rugby (Union and Uni, not medics) and they have their own weights gym with a decent squat rack, benches, some high dumbbells and a load of barbells and discs. You could just ask to use this, but it's 99% certain they won't let you unless you're a member.

Best way to stay in shape is probably to join a sports team who will ensure, through peer pressure, that you train, go to circuits, go gym and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    The gym facilities were fairly poor but by the time you get there it will be this http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/sports-...h-fitness-club which looks pretty decent.

Obviously being Leicester, with neither big sports scholarships nor a sports science course, you don't get the facilities of the major BUCS unis like Birmingham, Durham, Nottingham etc. and definitely not the lottery funded wonder of Loughborough and Bath. On the bright side you won't get embarassed by some Olympian alternating his 5x30 pull ups set with you.

The main facilities are up at Oadby so will be very convenient in your First year, 5 mins walk, but probably require a bike when you're down in Clarendon or Evington.

If you really want a proper gym close by when you're living in Evington/Clarendon there's a Nuffield right next to campus which is meant to be really good, but obviously it is expensive.

There's also a gym in the SU on campus, which is small but not badly stocked for weights, if useless for cardio.

Both of these can get busy at peak times but it's never anything ridiculous, you just have to switch around what order you plan to work things depending when the equipment becomes available.

The free weights are decent at both but there wasn't usually enough of them when it got really busy. Obviously I don't know what you lift, but they went up to 34 on dumbbells which is enough for most.

If you do want to lift more, and can play, join rugby (Union and Uni, not medics) and they have their own weights gym with a decent squat rack, benches, some high dumbbells and a load of barbells and discs. You could just ask to use this, but it's 99% certain they won't let you unless you're a member.

Best way to stay in shape is probably to join a sports team who will ensure, through peer pressure, that you train, go to circuits, go gym and so on.
    Mate, thanks a lot for that detailed response. I'm not looking for an amazing gym, just something I can get what I need to get done i.e. weight gain and toning. The new gym facilities look quite impressive, hopefully it lives up to expectations.

Apologies, but where is Clarendon or Evington? Is that post 1st year accommodation? Also completely unrelated, but is it possible to have a mini fridge in your room?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by fallenangel)
    Mate, thanks a lot for that detailed response. I'm not looking for an amazing gym, just something I can get what I need to get done i.e. weight gain and toning. The new gym facilities look quite impressive, hopefully it lives up to expectations.

Apologies, but where is Clarendon or Evington? Is that post 1st year accommodation? Also completely unrelated, but is it possible to have a mini fridge in your room?
    Clarendon and Evington are the two main student areas. If you've visited Leicester Clarendon is the other side of Victoria Park, running down to Welford Rd. Evington (as students mean it, it's actually a huge area) is the other side of London Rd and runs from the station up to DMU's midwifery school. Both are about 10 mins from campus. If you're interested that should make sense with google maps.

Mini fridges are officially not allowed (flood risk...). If you're in JoFo or self catered you won't need one. In Beaumont a few people had them and no one seemed too fussed, just remember to stick it in the wardrobe before your end of term room inspection.

ReputationRep:
    i have just accepted my offer at Leicester as my firm and will look to apply for accomodation as soon as it opens, in march i believe.

i want to have an ensuite and at the moment im not too bothered about catered/self catered

i went to the uni yesterday and looked at John Foster and GMS and have now worked out that i can go in Beaumont, JoFo or GMS to have an ensuite.

JoFo seemed a little less social than the other halls, what would you guys suggest is the better place to choose? Beaumont, JoFo or GMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larsson)
    JoFo seemed a little less social than the other halls, what would you guys suggest is the better place to choose? Beaumont, JoFo or GMS?
    JoFo has the best rooms, it's really quiet but the way how the room is laid out for ensuites is kinda awkward

i'm not too sure about GMS but I haven't really heard any bad things about it. Beaumont is pretty good too. But all in all, I would apply to JoFo

ReputationRep:
    i have just accepted my offer at Leicester as my firm and will look to apply for accomodation as soon as it opens, in march i believe.

i want to have an ensuite and at the moment im not too bothered about catered/self catered

i went to the uni yesterday and looked at John Foster and GMS and have now worked out that i can go in Beaumont, JoFo or GMS to have an ensuite.

I need to get around to firming Leicester as well. I'm looking for en-suite and self catered, on the open day I only got a chance to see John Foster which I did quite like, so I guess I'll just hope to get that.

I think the accommodation will be what you make it though - with regards to how social it is. I'm sure it'll be epic wherever we stay.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to have a self-catered premium single room. I think my first choice would be a room in John Foster because apparently they have a very nice kitchen? Does anyone know how many people there are to a bathroom/ kitchen there?

Also for a self-catered premium single room, would be any difference between one in Beaumont and GMS? And again, how many people are there to a kitchen/ bathroom? And how are the kitchens there?

Sorry it's a big question I would appreciate it if any one could answer it. Thank you!
    :excited:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whotosee)
    I'm looking to have a self-catered premium single room. I think my first choice would be a room in John Foster because apparently they have a very nice kitchen? Does anyone know how many people there are to a bathroom/ kitchen there?

Also for a self-catered premium single room, would be any difference between one in Beaumont and GMS? And again, how many people are there to a kitchen/ bathroom? And how are the kitchens there?

Sorry it's a big question I would appreciate it if any one could answer it. Thank you!
    i was there yesterday...

John Foster kitchens were nice, they are the same for catered and self-catered in terms of size etc, and i believe it was 5 persons in a flat... but this was with ensuites.

in GMS it was 6 people in a flat/floor (whatever you want to call it) sharing 2 bathrooms, although the ones i looked at had really small kitchens as it was catered...

im sure some actual Leicester students will help us get a further insight into accomodaiton
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Beware that there all of about 10 or 12 (5/6 per gender) self-catered premium singles in JoFo, in one converted house, The Spinney, right at the front. To get one of these you would have to get in straight away and a lot will go to deferred/gap year students as they can confirm their accommodation straight away rather than waiting for results day. You would share a bathroom and kitchen with the 5/6 on your floor.

All self catered premium single up at Oadby are in converted houses, rather than the main blocks of their respective halls, so how many you share a kitchen or bathroom with will vary 'cause they're not custom built and grade listings affect what the uni can do to them for things like plumbing.

I think there are slightly more in Digby (Botanical gardens side) than others, but I could be wrong as they're often hidden in lots of little houses with only 5 or 6 residents.

Finally these are usually just one gender for the whole house, so up to 30ish, and, particularly for guys, can get quite 'boisterous' if you don't fancy going out a lot.

Finally for everyone beware how many of you are saying you want JoFo, this is reflected across all applicants and means it's pretty much the only halls you may miss out on as your first choice, so just be prepared for that. I'm not sure if getting in early registering your preference affects your chances, you're best off emailing accommodation services to find out.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how strict the rules for guests are in City Living accomodation (particularly in Nixon Court)?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

JoFo has the benefit of being a full size room for the ensuite not a 'pod', but obviously this does push the price up by a fair bit. The idea JoFo isn't at all social isn't borne out by reality, but it seems fairly certain the risk of it being unsociable is higher due to the layout. It is very plush, just depends how much weight you put on social.

If you want self catered JoFo is fairly limited for non gap-year students, the main ensuite self catered blocks are Bowder Court in GMS. Though if you're not fussed either way I'd say catered's better value, as you don't pay for 8 weeks you won't be there, and it's more sociable

GMS and Beaumont's respective catered ensuite blocks are fairly indistinguishable facilities wise, though I think Beaumont blocks might have bigger rooms. GMS is meant to be the party halls so that reputation might mean more people there are going to be going out a lot.

In terms of the facilities of halls generally, remember wherever you stay will be the most luxurious accommodation of your 3/4 year time in Leicester. Living out you will never have an ensuite or 24 (more like 2) hour heating again, so you will be more than comfortable in any of these halls!

ReputationRep:
    i was there yesterday...

John Foster kitchens were nice, they are the same for catered and self-catered in terms of size etc, and i believe it was 5 persons in a flat... but this was with ensuites.

in GMS it was 6 people in a flat/floor (whatever you want to call it) sharing 2 bathrooms, although the ones i looked at had really small kitchens as it was catered...

im sure some actual Leicester students will help us get a further insight into accomodaiton
    Thanks What course have you applied for?

(Original post by roh)
    Beware that there all of about 10 or 12 (5/6 per gender) self-catered premium singles in JoFo, in one converted house, The Spinney, right at the front. To get one of these you would have to get in straight away and a lot will go to deferred/gap year students as they can confirm their accommodation straight away rather than waiting for results day. You would share a bathroom and kitchen with the 5/6 on your floor.

All self catered premium single up at Oadby are in converted houses, rather than the main blocks of their respective halls, so how many you share a kitchen or bathroom with will vary 'cause they're not custom built and grade listings affect what the uni can do to them for things like plumbing.

I think there are slightly more in Digby (Botanical gardens side) than others, but I could be wrong as they're often hidden in lots of little houses with only 5 or 6 residents.

Finally these are usually just one gender for the whole house, so up to 30ish, and, particularly for guys, can get quite 'boisterous' if you don't fancy going out a lot.

Finally for everyone beware how many of you are saying you want JoFo, this is reflected across all applicants and means it's pretty much the only halls you may miss out on as your first choice, so just be prepared for that. I'm not sure if getting in early registering your preference affects your chances, you're best off emailing accommodation services to find out.
    Thank you

Don't think I'll be applying for Digby because all the rooms there are catered.
    Is there much of a difference between self-catered premium singles in Beaumont Hall and GMS? They seem quite similar, apart from having to go to different bus stops, and Beaumont generally being closer to ASDA. I would prefer a more 'quiet' place if possible

ReputationRep:
    no worries i have applied and firmed American Studies with a year abroad, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied and firmed Leicester for Medical Biochemistry, so quite a different course from you
    Still, we might walk past each other in October

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who wants catered?! If I have to go through self-catered again I will DIE. Not even wither away and die, I've already withered enough this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SacredWolf)
    Am I the only one who wants catered?! If I have to go through self-catered again I will DIE. Not even wither away and die, I've already withered enough this year!
    Nope, i'm after catered as its's the only option of my preferred choice of accommodation (Beaumont) I can look after myself cooking wise but i'm perfectly fine with catered :cool:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Thank you

Don't think I'll be applying for Digby because all the rooms there are catered.
    Is there much of a difference between self-catered premium singles in Beaumont Hall and GMS? They seem quite similar, apart from having to go to different bus stops, and Beaumont generally being closer to ASDA. I would prefer a more 'quiet' place if possible
    Ah right they might have transferred them to Beaumont now. Anyway, the difference in terms of facilities will be negligible. They're all in converted houses, warden's lodges etc. so room size and so on will vary a bit but this will be the same in both GMS and Beaumont.

Hard to say which will be quieter really, that varies a lot year on year. Generally the self catered houses are less going out oriented than the catered blocks but this isn't a hard and fast rule. For example the top floor of Rocklands, which is the male self catered house in Beaumont, was lad central in my year, but I know someone who lived there the year above me and apparently Rocklands got a lot of stick for being really quiet and going out once a term. The character of each house will be defined by that year's residents, but the uni do ask you stuff about what sort of atmosphere you want and are pretty good at grouping similar people together so you should be fine.

They're both an equal distance from Asda.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by SacredWolf)
    Nope! I was exactly the same and some of my mates were even worse! When we moved out to a house one of my mates genuinely asked us how to cook a pizza...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Flo[ProActiv])
    Does anyone know how strict the rules for guests are in City Living accomodation (particularly in Nixon Court)?
    Couldn't be specific to Nixon but I'd guess at least as relaxed as Oadby and I had my girlfriend up for the weekend there and no one said anything, some people also had 5/6 mates up for their birthday and again no one said anything. I think so long as they don't practically move in no one will object to you having guests.

Only possible flaw would be if the new Nixon uses your library card for access, but they haven't done that at any other halls so I don't think it's likely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.