The Student Room Group

How has mental illness affected your life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
Not as simple as that. If people could just talk their way out of mental illnesses then alot of problems would be solved. But it doesn't work that way.
Certainly, depressed people could do with circumstances which tackle the source of depression. Anti-depressants in of themselves are not the final solution, but they are essential for treating symptoms.

Your advice is just unhelpful, and you shouldn't have bothered to register.

Depression is the most common mental illness. First onset of depression imo shouldn't be treated with anti-depressants. Some people are too hasty in asking their doc's to prescribe meds.
It exacerbates the problem by turning a potentially temporary event into a potential permanent event.

Meds should be described for illnesses that are induced by chemical imbalances where the symptoms of the illness prohibit the individual from leading a normal life.

Depression in many instances doesn't just happen. In some instances there is a underlying factor that 'pushes' on the brain so often that it seems 'impossible' for the individual to accept it will ever be 'acceptable' to them.

I was trying to say individuals should try to FIGHT the symptoms that arise out of these conditions, constantly keep trying to find solutions and defeat or change these underlying factors to make them acceptable to themselves.

My advice has to be general in this instance because every situation is different.

Never let a problem get the better of you. You are not as weak as you presume. The human body has a propensity to self heal so does the mind.
Reply 281
Original post by thisisnew
x

aw, that sounds awful! i have low self esteem but it doesnt rule my life, not in the way that BDD seems to affect yours. did you manage to see a CBT in the end?

for what its worth, i think you have lovely hair! and doesn't seem 'messy' at ALL! anyhow, look at robert pattinson and kings of leon, etc. messy = hot!

hope things get better for you :smile: and everyone else posting in this thread.
Reply 282
Original post by thisisnew
If it was as simple as "pretending to be a Sikh" or just "go out and enjoy your life" then I would have done that by now. Considered becoming a mental health practitioner?

I mean really, do you think I ruined my education & social life just so I could get some attention and to be a trendy mentally ill person?

LOL.

You want to look perfect....yes?

That is why you pluck/trim your eyebrows and are never happy with your hair. You do not like the shape of your forehead or head or possibly ears.

Am I right or wrong?

Are there any other aspects of your body you are not happy with that you haven't told us about?

If not, then growing your hair and wearing a sikh bandana (they call it a patka) and turban over that is a good solution to your problem.

This constant battering your brain has had from your environment (it is because of your environment (culture, people) that you are feeling insecure now) over the years has brought you to the place you are now. Depression was inevitable.

Follow my advice and see what happens. One step at a time. Gd Luck.

========================

'MY BRAIN IS MY FRIEND, NOT MY ENEMY'
Reply 283
Another thing for those thinking anti-depressants is their only choice.

Try the natural one and see how it affects you. A mild strain of cannabis should do the trick. Cannabis like any medicine can vary in potency so go out of your way to finding a strain that agrees with you, a weekend trip to Amsterdam perhaps.

Alcohol is a big no no.

Again GL and a safe journey my fellow humanoids.
Original post by justlol
LOL.

You want to look perfect....yes?

That is why you pluck/trim your eyebrows and are never happy with your hair. You do not like the shape of your forehead or head or possibly ears.

Am I right or wrong?

Are there any other aspects of your body you are not happy with that you haven't told us about?

If not, then growing your hair and wearing a sikh bandana (they call it a patka) and turban over that is a good solution to your problem.

This constant battering your brain has had from your environment (it is because of your environment (culture, people) that you are feeling insecure now) over the years has brought you to the place you are now. Depression was inevitable.

Follow my advice and see what happens. One step at a time. Gd Luck.

========================

'MY BRAIN IS MY FRIEND, NOT MY ENEMY'

No, I don't pluck or trim my eyebrows, the bushiness just doesn't show up on the photos you're looking at because of the terrible lighting/quality. And no, I have no problem with my head/ears/forehead. And strike three, no I don't "want" to look perfect. I wouldn't "mind" looking perfect but who wouldn't? :confused:

Are you being serious about this whole turban malarkey? Not sure if you're trying to troll me or not lol. That would only actually draw attention to me and cause people to ask why I'm wearing one in the first place.

Original post by popple7
aw, that sounds awful! i have low self esteem but it doesnt rule my life, not in the way that BDD seems to affect yours. did you manage to see a CBT in the end?

for what its worth, i think you have lovely hair! and doesn't seem 'messy' at ALL! anyhow, look at robert pattinson and kings of leon, etc. messy = hot!

hope things get better for you :smile: and everyone else posting in this thread.

Thanks :cute: and yeah my first counselor was amazing and she really helped me overcome my depression but we didn't really manage to tackle the BDD. The NHS finally got back to me but at that specific time I was on a terrible downer and declined them (which was ridiculously stupid looking back).
Original post by justlol
Depression is the most common mental illness. First onset of depression imo shouldn't be treated with anti-depressants. Some people are too hasty in asking their doc's to prescribe meds.
It exacerbates the problem by turning a potentially temporary event into a potential permanent event.

This might be true for people who are mildly "depressed" and intent on branding themselves with a label. For others, anti-depressants are a lifeline.

Meds should be described for illnesses that are induced by chemical imbalances where the symptoms of the illness prohibit the individual from leading a normal life.

Depression in many instances doesn't just happen. In some instances there is a underlying factor that 'pushes' on the brain so often that it seems 'impossible' for the individual to accept it will ever be 'acceptable' to them.

Of course, depression doesn't just happen, it is generally induced by stress and negative life factors. But the chemical imbalances it causes can affect you in the same way that an economic depression affects a country. Anti-depressants help to treat symptoms that keep people in the dumps.

Therapies then help with the long-term causes of depression and help people get over the source of their torment.

I was trying to say individuals should try to FIGHT the symptoms that arise out of these conditions, constantly keep trying to find solutions and defeat or change these underlying factors to make them acceptable to themselves.

Never let a problem get the better of you. You are not as weak as you presume. The human body has a propensity to self heal so does the mind.

You're definitely not helping. Blaming people for mental illness is not the way to go, and is often damaging. When people are suicidally depressed, they've often exhausted their coping resources. The need for medicine perhaps depends on the severity of depression.

And you seem to be mocking thisisnew with your Turban suggestion and whatnot. I call troll.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 286
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus

You're definitely not helping. Blaming people for mental illness is not the way to go, and is often damaging. When people are suicidally depressed, they've often exhausted their coping resources. The need for medicine perhaps depends on the severity of depression.

And you seem to be mocking thisisnew with your Turban suggestion and whatnot. I call troll.

I wasn't blaming people, do you mean environment? I think you'll agree environment or external factors are a factor in many cases. I'm defenitely not saying in all cases.

I think this is one of those rare occassions where a white man would have preferred to be of asian origin. lol.
If thisisnew was of a colour that the majority of Sikhs are (brown) and his illness is as he declares, he would not be in such haste to call my efforts trolling. In fact it would have been a viable solution for him.

I of course understand the will it would take for a white man to pass themselves off as a Sikh but it can be done as there are white men who have converted to Sikhism and adopted their rituals inc wearing of the turban. Note you do not have to convert but nothing stops you from pretending to.
thisisnew is lucky to reside in the UK, a tolerant soceity, where he could do this without any prejudice.

Google images 'white sikh' and you can see for yourself.

Zeromus, may I ask what solutions you have to offer in the case of thisisnew?

Let me guess CBT and more meds. Pfft.
Reply 287
I'm not sure why I haven't posted here before..

How has mental illness affected my life?

Well, um:

- it's ruined both of my relationships
- ^^ has left me feeling that if I'm so ****ed up, I shouldn't ever be in a relationship
- It's contributed to ruining my sleep
- It's affected my grades, though I was lucky that the worst of that was my A2 summer exams. Without an aggregate grade from the exam boards, I wouldn't have anything like AAB.
- It means I'm incapable of dealing with stress that's more than like 'aah I have exams next week'

2008 was definitely the worst year of my life, thanks to bipolar disorder and scoliosis. I was meant to have surgery for the scoliosis, right after my 18th birthday (it got delayed because of an infection). I'm sure most of you here can imagine what 'aaaaaaahh A2 exams followed by major surgery!!' is like when your moods are ****ing haywire. Didn't exactly help therefore that my boyfriend at the time could not have been more unhelpful, and the same with his mum. I know it'd be pretty hard for most 18 year olds to deal with but.. lets just put it this way, when your GF calls going 'I'm home alone for the next three days, my moods plummeted, I'm scared I'm gonna hurt myself, please come and be with me', and you live an hour away and own a car, her parents are 3 hours away and unable to easy come home, your response shouldn't be 'I'm sorry, I can't, mum doesn't want me to. No, I can't stay online with you, they want me to go to bed, and I'll get in trouble'. :mad:
Well so far I have been suppressing my depression which is mainly due to stress from the heap of upcoming university exams and social life problems (lack of it).

I occasionally whip myself HARD with a belt to let out my stress. Its something I have to face myself and no one can really help me :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 289
Original post by darknessbehold
Well so far I have been suppressing my depression which is mainly due to stress from the heap of upcoming university exams and social life problems (lack of it).

I occasionally whip myself HARD with a belt to let out my stress. Its something I have to face myself and no one can really help me :/

Kinky depression
Original post by Unoriginal-
OK, well as long as you don't kill yourself.

Although I think self-harm is more of a social thing, rather than a mental illness.

I don't want to but I still get the thoughts.

:confused: social? I'm not an emo or whatever. There's nothing social about it.
Original post by converselove
I don't want to but I still get the thoughts.

:confused: social? I'm not an emo or whatever. There's nothing social about it.

Agreed. How is it a social thing when a lot people self harm and don't tell anyone about it?
Original post by Anonymous
Agreed. How is it a social thing when a lot people self harm and don't tell anyone about it?

I know. I've barely told anyone that I know irl. There's a handful of people that know and I've only told them because I can trust them. I know there's a huge stigma surrounding it but there's not really that many 'emos' that self harm. The majority (from my experience) keep it quiet.
Original post by converselove
I know. I've barely told anyone that I know irl. There's a handful of people that know and I've only told them because I can trust them. I know there's a huge stigma surrounding it but there's not really that many 'emos' that self harm. The majority (from my experience) keep it quiet.

If it wasn't a social thing, then people wouldn't self-harm in such a limited amount of ways. Slitting ones wrists would not be so common. Obviously there are other ways in which to self-harm, but if it was actually psychological, then the methods wouldn't be so limited - fact.

Also, just because it is influenced by society, doesn't mean you have to tell people about it.
Reply 294
How has mental illness affected your life?

Ruined it, if there was anything worth ruining in the first place anyway. Dreading those A-Level results more than ever.
Original post by Unoriginal-
If it wasn't a social thing, then people wouldn't self-harm in such a limited amount of ways. Slitting ones wrists would not be so common. Obviously there are other ways in which to self-harm, but if it was actually psychological, then the methods wouldn't be so limited - fact.

Also, just because it is influenced by society, doesn't mean you have to tell people about it.

Yeah, there are other ways. I've never slit my wrists. I understand what you mean that there are some social aspects to some self harmers. But not all of them.
Reply 296
Been depressed for a year and a half; only now approaching a GP cause the last one told me I was being silly. Self harmed in the form of scratching, cause it wasnt so obvious. Suicidal often. Being silly aye?

To answer the question, I failed my exams and lost my boyfriend. Life ruined, really.
Reply 297
Can't believe so many people have had such hard times with mental illness, it's really quite sad...I thought the situation was much better than 10 yrs ago or so, now more people know about them and should be more open to helping you out.

I had Body Dysmorphic Disorder throughout secondary school, and had a really quite unhappy time there, and now I've got different, much more complicated mental health problems at Uni.

But throughout my time, my family have helped me out, despite not understanding at all what I was going through, and my CBT therapist was really very good, and I still somehow managed to get through school and into my Uni of choice.

But I'm shocked that the NHS is still so bad at helping those with mental health problems, I thought the resources and psychologists/ counsellors available would have been decent, and not fraught with mis-diagnoses etc. Can anybody explain this to me?

The biggest problem in my experience with mental health problems is that other people misjudge you. It irritates me sooooooooo much that people will almost always look at some guy who comes across as scared/ socially awkward/ acts differently in some way, and never think for some reason that there might be some other explanation for it, such as mental illness. Naturally, ignoring the possibility of mental illness, they might then bully him/ ignore him/ make his life harder for him. This, to me, is probably just as bad as the illness itself. Does anybody else feel the same way?
Reply 298
Original post by deej3005
But I'm shocked that the NHS is still so bad at helping those with mental health problems, I thought the resources and psychologists/ counsellors available would have been decent, and not fraught with mis-diagnoses etc. Can anybody explain this to me?

I was really shocked when my GP dismissed my symptoms as 'being silly'. It meant that I spent the Christmas holidays miserable, thinking that I was overreacting to something that wasn't really a problem. Only now, after several suicidal thoughts and a lot of (albeit mild) self harm, am I able to realise that my GP was the one who was in the wrong. I've changed surgeries and will see a doctor next week.

As for people making the mental illness worse, I can definitely see that. My friends have previously referred to me as a "mental b*tch" and it definitely did not make me ANY better whatsoever. It felt like those closest to me were not supportive even though there was something clearly wrong with me. I've found that (cliche though it is), talking about and admitting I have a problem was the first step to acceptance. My friends were much more understanding than I thought they would be.

I'm not even scared to post this non-anon. I'm glad I'm admitting this; it's a relief.
I saw my GP and well, they didn't take my worst symptoms seriously. It made me feel like there was no help available. Like they just look for depressive or psychotic disorders. Can you ask them to refer you to a psychiatrist who's trained to properly assess you?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending