Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by

Can I have yours [s
    )

puppyeyes[/s]
    Hahah yeah, sure. Although, considering I'm in Switzerland, it might actually take longer than amazon!!!!

Gahh, can't wait to know what everyone else thought about it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilyCH)
    Hahah yeah, sure. Although, considering I'm in Switzerland, it might actually take longer than amazon!!!!

Gahh, can't wait to know what everyone else thought about it!!
    Visiting Switzerland is pretty high on my list of priorities too :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    urgh. quoting fail!!

I knooow! It's going to be so hard to wait!
    But I've still got all of last semester's reading list to go through, so I'm reading To the Lighthouse at the mo', which will be followed by Alice in Wonderland, and Wuthering Heights, and Great Expectations, and Peter Pan, and and and....!
    So then I'll be ready for any classics that the book club throws at me teeheeh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilyCH)
    urgh. quoting fail!!

I knooow! It's going to be so hard to wait!
    But I've still got all of last semester's reading list to go through, so I'm reading To the Lighthouse at the mo', which will be followed by Alice in Wonderland, and Wuthering Heights, and Great Expectations, and Peter Pan, and and and....!
    So then I'll be ready for any classics that the book club throws at me teeheeh
    I like your style :yy:

It's a good job I keep an eye on this thread, seeing as you lack quoting skills

ReputationRep:
    i've not started Heart of Darkness, because i'm a bad person

:spank:

ReputationRep:
    I've not even bought it. Commitment.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do this but Heart of Darkness makes me want to die inside

I may join in with the next book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)

I also haven't started yet, but please don't cane me. Mistress.

ReputationRep:
    Mine came today I'll put aside Monte Cristo and read it over the next few days.

:ditto:

ReputationRep:
      I'll join the list of bad people because I haven't got the book yet either.

(Original post by 22KT22)
      I want to do this but Heart of Darkness makes me want to die inside

I may join in with the next book
      Ha! What a brilliant review.

In all seriousness I only quoted you to say that I love your sig, especially the last two.

ReputationRep:

Nor have I well not exactly, I read the introduction, thought it was very interesting, went off to get myself a drink and...sort of never came back
      I've now started reading two other books

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheMagicRat)
      I'll join the list of bad people because I haven't got the book yet either.

Ha! What a brilliant review.

In all seriousness I only quoted you to say that I love your sig, especially the last two.
      Haha thank you

It's a good book, we had to study it at college really in depth and I just couldn't get into it

But yeah when its a book I want to read I'll do it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
      Nor have I well not exactly, I read the introduction, thought it was very interesting, went off to get myself a drink and...sort of never came back
      I've now started reading two other books
      Are you talking about the introduction written by someone else, as is often the case with many "classic" books. I thought it was common practice to read them after reading the novel itself. Or is it just me that fears finding something (even something tiny and, somewhat, insignificant) out about the plot whilst reading those intros.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheMagicRat)
      Are you talking about the introduction written by someone else, as is often the case with many "classic" books. I thought it was common practice to read them after reading the novel itself. Or is it just me that fears finding something (even something tiny and, somewhat, insignificant) out about the plot whilst reading those intros.
      Yup, it is, and i usually don't read it before either (or don't at all most of the time ), but this one was background info on Joseph Conrad, a little about the colonisation of congo and about King Leopold. There weren't really any spoilers involved - as far as i could tell and a pretty good introduction too.

ReputationRep:
      I haven't started Heart of Darkness - but I have started reading Kraken by China Miéville, which is due back to the library on Monday (Y). I recommend it though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Potiron)
      I haven't started Heart of Darkness - but I have started reading Kraken by China Miéville, which is due back to the library on Monday (Y). I recommend it though.
      I love Perdido Street Station,

one of my favourite books ever. Mieville is a god.
      • Political Ambassador
      • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
      I will just read it when everyone else has, it won't take much time tbh.

I had completely forgotten about this - at least 1984 didn't win.

ReputationRep:
      I love Perdido Street Station,

one of my favourite books ever. Mieville is a god.
      I want to read that. Other than Kraken I've only read King Rat, to my shame. If I get into Warwick I might get to meet him.

ReputationRep:
      I have decided that a new poll must take place; I will decide the options and the result. This poll must take place after the exam period. I shall notify you via owl.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.