Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to use the iBook application on my iPad/iPod... The Kindle is an e-Reader, it is better as it has 3G connectivity. It is made by Amazon, so as you can imagine it has a larger library.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    What puts me off getting one is the initial £150 cost. Do you save much on the cost of books?
    As others have said - yes you save on the cost of many books due to the huge collection of free books on offer. Also, I recently got one, and generally all of the books I have bought have a 30-50p+ saving off the paperback price, and you don't then have to wait for delivery etc.

Also - You could get a simple WiFi Kindle for only £111 which is quite a saving. I also, saw one of the Sony E Readers in Tesco shortly before I bought my Kindle a few weeks ago, and their price was around £180 (but I don't have extensive knowledge of prices of E Readers generally so don't take my word for it), and that seems to be the biggest competition for stand alone E Readers (so not including iPads etc.) from what I have read - so you are making quite a saving there already!

I bought mine a couple of weeks ago, and it has been one of the best purchases I have made! I would definitely say you should take the initial cost hit, if you are interested in getting one, as I feel it is definitely worth it (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beffnee)
    As others have said - yes you save on the cost of many books due to the huge collection of free books on offer. Also, I recently got one, and generally all of the books I have bought have a 30-50p+ saving off the paperback price, and you don't then have to wait for delivery etc.

Also - You could get a simple WiFi Kindle for only £111 which is quite a saving. I also, saw one of the Sony E Readers in Tesco shortly before I bought my Kindle a few weeks ago, and their price was around £180 (but I don't have extensive knowledge of prices of E Readers generally so don't take my word for it), and that seems to be the biggest competition for stand alone E Readers (so not including iPads etc.) from what I have read - so you are making quite a saving there already!

I bought mine a couple of weeks ago, and it has been one of the best purchases I have made! I would definitely say you should take the initial cost hit, if you are interested in getting one, as I feel it is definitely worth it (:
    My main reason for getting one is that I'll be spending quite a lot of time abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget to download Calibre. It's a free converter that converts any format to any other. So any book can be made Kindle compatible.

ReputationRep:
    The Kindle is a nice device but I detest DRM and hence bought a Sony E-Reader.

ReputationRep:
    My main reason for getting one is that I'll be spending quite a lot of time abroad.
    I spent a year abroad, and having an e-reader made it a lot simpler. I had some of my textbooks as well as novels, so I could use it for both my study and my leisure.

(Original post by MaturePharm)
    The Kindle is a nice device but I detest DRM and hence bought a Sony E-Reader.
    Much better choice (except you don't need "and" before "hence", as it's already implied).

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got an e-reader because I am too fond of paper books. However, if I were to get one I would buy one of the Sony e-readers. Kindle's are restricted in their content, and their are converters for files you can buy, but I wouldn't want the hassle when I could buy a similar product without said hassle. Also, with a Sony you can 'loan' books from libraries unlike with a Kindle (compatibility issues). Both e-readers have the same screen technology, I suppose with the Kindle you are buying into the brand more than with a Sony (a little like Apple).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I spent a year abroad, and having an e-reader made it a lot simpler. I had some of my textbooks as well as novels, so I could use it for both my study and my leisure.

Much better choice (except you don't need "and" before "hence", as it's already implied).
    Is the Kindle the only e-reader that can be used to download books abroad or does Sony do it as well?

ReputationRep:
    Is the Kindle the only e-reader that can be used to download books abroad or does Sony do it as well?
    It depends on the Sony, I don't know which one does. I went for a model with no Internet because I spend so much time on my laptop I honestly don't see the point of being able to download books directly on your e-reader (especially as I have far too many for them to all be on the e-reader, and I have to classify them regularly).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumdumdumdidum)
    I haven't got an e-reader because I am too fond of paper books. However, if I were to get one I would buy one of the Sony e-readers. Kindle's are restricted in their content, and their are converters for files you can buy, but I wouldn't want the hassle when I could buy a similar product without said hassle. Also, with a Sony you can 'loan' books from libraries unlike with a Kindle (compatibility issues). Both e-readers have the same screen technology, I suppose with the Kindle you are buying into the brand more than with a Sony (a little like Apple).
    Don't you need to be in the U.S or Canada to loan books?

ReputationRep:
    My Dad has a Kindle (3G) and I can tell you they're brilliant! Don't know anything about any other E-Readers though, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people think e-readers will be the death of paper books. Because you have an e-reader doesn't mean you'll stop buying paper books, just that you'll be able to carry more books with you at all times. Try taking enough books to keep you busy for 6 months, I guarantee it won't fit in your suitcase if you read as much as me. Yet I still buy and hoard paper books wherever I go.

Not everything is on PDF/Epub yet, and publishers haven't quite realised that readers expect e-books to be far cheaper than paper books as we don't pay for the paper or the delivery. Right now, it's still (most of the time) more advantageous to buy paper books, except for classics. Blockbusters are equally priced on both support when they come out. It's like saying you won't bother with a TV now you've got a laptop, or that you won't have a landline now that you have a mobile contract…

ReputationRep:
    Don't you need to be in the U.S or Canada to loan books?
    No, local libraries have online libraries where you can loan books to your e-reader.

In regards to e-readers not being the death of paper books, I don't believe they will. However, I have considered buying one, but whilst I am not travelling and have no intention of doing so in the near future, I can't really justify the costs.

Also, with a Sony you can 'loan' books from libraries unlike with a Kindle (compatibility issues).
      there are plans to introduce library lending to kindles. sony are just a few months ahead.

ReputationRep:
      Stuck in two minds here. I dont know whether to order a Kindle from Amazon for Christmas. Someone help me out.

ReputationRep:
      I'm getting a kindle for Christmas simply because I'll be going abroad for my gap year and I can't cart my library with me . A Kindle is nice and portable and doesn't hurt the eyes at all (Try reading on a laptop or phone! Just gives me eye aches :mad:). I asked to borrow a friend's Kindle to test it for a bit and it was beautiful to read on. It's also really light to hold, which made a nice change compared to long reading sessions holding a book, where my wrist would start to ache.

I wouldn't say it 'enhanced' my reading experience all that much, but it certainly impressed me enough to buy one myself for the portability (is that a word? :confused:). I still think you can't beat a good old well read paperback though. Something about that booky smell I'll miss when I use a Kindle

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TheQuietOne)
      I'm getting a kindle for Christmas simply because I'll be going abroad for my gap year and I can't cart my library with me . A Kindle is nice and portable and doesn't hurt the eyes at all (Try reading on a laptop or phone! Just gives me eye aches :mad:). I asked to borrow a friend's Kindle to test it for a bit and it was beautiful to read on. It's also really light to hold, which made a nice change compared to long reading sessions holding a book, where my wrist would start to ache.

I wouldn't say it 'enhanced' my reading experience all that much, but it certainly impressed me enough to buy one myself for the portability (is that a word? :confused:). I still think you can't beat a good old well read paperback though. Something about that booky smell I'll miss when I use a Kindle
      Yeah, same here. I feel like im letting the world of books down.

ReputationRep:
      I personally havent bought it but i tried a friends...apparently the way its made is quite awesome... think its something to do with an arrangement of electrons on screen, putting a current through it causes them to flip over. Think some sort of digital signal is made from whether the electrons have been flipped or not and this results in the black and white you see. But when you turn it off, whatever you see on your screen (wallpaper?) is still there because the arrangement of electrons havent been changed... its effectively looking at something paperlike when its off but it doesnt use up any power...the image/writing it still there
      though im not 100% sure this is how it works, just what ive been told (seems quite amazing if it was)

if i could get one for free, id most definately get it :cool:

ReputationRep:
      I just bought a kindle, it's fantastic and convenient however i have this dream of building an amazing book collection with a slider ladder.

So i will still buy certain books that deserve to be read again and again.

ReputationRep:
      yes definitely! i like the recommendations amazon give you and the lists of free books are endless... all the classics are free, so I have lots of Austen and Dickens to get through!

they're super lightweight - i can take mine everywhere, and i don't have to carry around heavy books! its easy to read from and the books are much cheaper!

i would recommend it to anyone

EDIT- i've never really noticed the difference between reading on paper and on the kindle... its obviously different but you get used to it, and if you're reading an excellent book - you don't notice the difference, you're just immersed in the story.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.