ReputationRep:
    First exam tomorrow- Behavioural Sciences. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    First exam tomorrow- Behavioural Sciences. :facepalm2:
    I've got stats the day after tomorrow. *grumble*
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I start my secondary care placement tomorrow :awesome: And I'm hoping to get a day in theatre on Thursday

ReputationRep:
    St Mary's is fun. In the first week (4 days), I've learnt about the same as I did in a month at Central Middlesex.

I don't really want to do surgery, but I like the surgical team I'm with. I wasn't expecting the consultant to do, well, any bedside teaching, but he does loads.

The first day we went to introduce ourselves to the team, and in about 3 minutes, they had one of us taking blood, another an ABG, one clerking, and one of us putting in a cannula. I haven't even seen a patient since November!

Also, I need to go to bed now. 5:30am wake ups suck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    St Mary's is fun. In the first week (4 days), I've learnt about the same as I did in a month at Central Middlesex.

I don't really want to do surgery, but I like the surgical team I'm with. I wasn't expecting the consultant to do, well, any bedside teaching, but he does loads.

The first day we went to introduce ourselves to the team, and in about 3 minutes, they had one of us taking blood, another an ABG, one clerking, and one of us putting in a cannula. I haven't even seen a patient since November!

Also, I need to go to bed now. 5:30am wake ups suck.
    I had a (minor) rant about this in the Aberdeen medic thread. We're both third years and yet you're on firms doing practical stuff. I can do all four of those things you mentioned, but three of them I learnt by going in on weekends in my own time, because so far we've done one blood-taking and one venflon in our course and that was on a fake arm. And yet if anyone wanted to compare Aberdeen and Imperial, you do a more sciency course than us, AND do more practical stuff than us... If anyone can point out an advantage to my course, that'd be great, cos I really can't see any at the moment.

[I'm having a moment of chaos because of impending essay deadlines and a massive backlog of stuff that is just about to catch up with me. Feel free to ignore me. :rolleyes:]

ReputationRep:
    Eugggggggh.

ReputationRep:
    If Prof Kumar is coming to lecture us, is it very uncool of me to take my textbook to be signed? Or is she really used to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    If Prof Kumar is coming to lecture us, is it very uncool of me to take my textbook to be signed? Or is she really used to it?
    Who ?

(Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
      Incredibly uncool verging on tragic

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
      I had a (minor) rant about this in the Aberdeen medic thread. We're both third years and yet you're on firms doing practical stuff. I can do all four of those things you mentioned, but three of them I learnt by going in on weekends in my own time, because so far we've done one blood-taking and one venflon in our course and that was on a fake arm. And yet if anyone wanted to compare Aberdeen and Imperial, you do a more sciency course than us, AND do more practical stuff than us... If anyone can point out an advantage to my course, that'd be great, cos I really can't see any at the moment.

[I'm having a moment of chaos because of impending essay deadlines and a massive backlog of stuff that is just about to catch up with me. Feel free to ignore me. :rolleyes:]
      I have done that and I am a 2nd year (with fake arm too)... Although I did ask to do the venflon

ReputationRep:
      Eurgh, I wish I had my dissection today. I had to get up for an introductory lecture at 9:00 and now don't have anything 'til 15:00. Instead, i've got my dissection tomorrow morning when i'll be ridiculously hungover - it's pretty much guaranteed i'll throw up on the cadaver. FML

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
      The thing is that you can't exactly bring in people to practice venflons / bloods on.

What you can do however is now tell your junior doctor / reg / consultants that you've been shown how and have practiced and would now like to do some real ones. They'll be well chuffed to have an extra non useless pair of hands.

Also, 4th and 5th year you will end up doing bloods, ecgs, venflons and catheters till your sick to death of them.

ReputationRep:
      Tbh despite us having a card to fill in in thrid year - some people barely did any bloods/cannulas!

I did loads of both - and can even get fat old ladies arms, but that's because I was skiving off doing the proper work of clerking :/

In other news: total amount of studying done today for upcoming exam: 0.
      Woke up at 14:30.
      Fml :p:

ReputationRep:
      Started public health block today :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lekky)
      Started public health block today :facepalm:
      I'm enjoying revising public health more than the lectures.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Philosoraptor)
      In other news: total amount of studying done today for upcoming exam: 0.
      Woke up at 14:30.
      Fml :p:
      You do like making life difficult for yourself!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
      I'm enjoying revising public health more than the lectures.
      Lecture was awesome.
      PBL and doing PBL work very much the opposite

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lekky)
      Lecture was awesome.
      PBL and doing PBL work very much the opposite
      Ooh, nasty. Our only PBL is in the Behavioural Sciences module.

ReputationRep:
      Hello all! Haven't posted on here for a while! Exams are looming, and I'm petrified, with them being the first set of exams etc; really not sure what to expect!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.