Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone ever rejected an Oxbridge offer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I hope people here don't believe that rejecting Cambridge or Oxford is a travesty and can never be done at all. People think too highly of Oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    Best friend got an offer to read Chinese at Oxford. Turned it down for SOAS because he wanted to do more language I think. And he wanted a full year abroad.
    Another friend turned down Japanese at Oxford (or Cambridge, not sure which) for SOAS. People do make their choices.

ReputationRep:
    At my school about 9-12 people turn down oxbridge offers each year for yale, harvard, brown, columbia, dartmouth, MIT, upenn, u chicago etc. etc.

Needless to say, the number of Oxbridge offers decreases each year. They can't TAKE that kind of REJECTION!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster101)
    At my school about 9-12 people turn down oxbridge offers each year for yale, harvard, brown, columbia, dartmouth, MIT, upenn, u chicago etc. etc.

Needless to say, the number of Oxbridge offers decreases each year. They can't TAKE that kind of REJECTION!!
    Yeah, Ok...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therealOG)
    LIAR
    Haha, yeah... I changed my mind

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone on TSR know of someone who put Oxbridge as their insurance or just rejected the offer outright? And why did they do it? I know Oxbridge doesn't appeal to everyone (Someone in my family decided to leave Cambridge after a year and ended up at UCL), but I've never heard of someone rejecting an Oxbridge offer.
    well it all depends on what you are looking for.

I have rejected oxford for both my undergrad and postgrad (just wanted it as an insurance to fall upon, but course was quite laidback and everyone seem so elitist but thats my opinion)

cambridge in postgrad (again insurance course to fallback upon, prof were good but the course was not well structured).

It all depends on what you want to get out of the course and the university should be your criteria really.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone on TSR know of someone who put Oxbridge as their insurance or just rejected the offer outright? And why did they do it? I know Oxbridge doesn't appeal to everyone (Someone in my family decided to leave Cambridge after a year and ended up at UCL), but I've never heard of someone rejecting an Oxbridge offer.
    I know a guy who rejected an offer at oxford just because it was for the only girls college. He ended up at Liverpool. Yes he is crazyyyy !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mummyperson)
    I personally know someone who turned down a place to read medicine at Cambridge- both UCL and Imperial are very attractive alternatives for medicine , professionally and socially.
    If I was in the same position I would also have chosen UCL or Imperial rather than Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash_D)
    I know two medics who got offers from oxbridge but turned them down to go to Leicester
    If that's what floats your boat...
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeeGRANT)
    Sorry, she rejected Cambridge for Open University? That makes me want to vomit somewhat. Why in the world would she do that?! :confused: x 100
    You should probably marry im so academic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster101)

Why is applying to America so common at your school?? There were 1,000 people in my A2 year and I don't think even one went to America...

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who rejected an offer from Cambridge and didn't even go to uni!

ReputationRep:
    Not the easiest decision I've made but I have no regrets

ReputationRep:
    I think this is the reason some people reject Oxbridge offers, because the people are so stuck up and absolutely no fun

ReputationRep:
    I would have rejected cambridge.. but they rejected me first

ReputationRep:
    My brother did

ReputationRep:
    My friend was allowed to apply to oxford and cambridge for physics or something like that, he then rejected them both along with the other three universities and he got a scholarship at HARVARD instead. Absolute GENIUS!!! And i'm happy that i know him!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vampyrcorn)
    I know a girl who rejected Cambridge because she was put in the all-girls college.
    Actually I would seriously reconsider an offer if I was put in an all-girl college. It would probably be one of the only reasons I would reject an offer from Cambridge (Oxford don't have any). I go to an all-girl school now and have no male friends. In fact, I have no idea how to even talk to guys - especially on my own. I know that it would definitely be the same in University.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    I know I'm a hypocrite for bumping this thread, but seriously, this discussion is STILL going on? Just look at the statistics, it's quite easy to see that a fairly predictable number of people do reject Oxford and Cambridge every year.

You have issues, mate. Unless you know Fallen in real life or something and know he's lying, I'm going to assume that you just can't believe bring yourself to that anyone would put Oxbridge as an Insurance offer.

IIRC Fallen is applying for Computer Science. Oxford's CompSci offer is AAA, whilst Imperial's Computing offer is >A*AA. By putting the lower offer as his Insurance he is acting in a perfectly rational manner. It's entirely possible that he may miss the A* in Maths condition by a small margin and end up going to Oxford.
    He knows he's lying becase his sig now shows that he did infact put Oxford as his firm and declined the Imperial offer.

But yes I agree, had he firmed the Imperial offer he would still have been acting rationally.

ReputationRep:
    I know many people who have rejected Oxbridge for LSE to study somthing in finance like economics.

LSE is the uni that IBs target the most.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.