Nee-Naw-Nee-Naw! Food Crimes we Cannot Abide! Watch

dnumberwang
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by skunky x)
People who try something, don't like it, and then fake retch/pull exaggerated disgust faces etc.

People who say ' Ohmygod that makes me heave' in relation to food. I DOUBT THIS HIGHLY. Especially when they see I've ordered it and proceed to go 'Eugh, the smell, makes me retch' and faux retch. I get this so much when I eat tuna sandwiches.

Anyone who orders steak any more well done than rare. Philistines.
The word 'retch' itself tbh, although that's not a food crime I don't think I've ever heard it used anywhere other than this site...
Harrifer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pasta bake.

That's the one of the biggest food crimes ever committed. My housemates are regular offenders.

It's just the most mediocre and depressing dish anyone ever created. It's also seriously unhealthy, unless you stuff a bit of veg in there, which naturally they don't. I don't know why people associate pasta with health, maybe because it has a 'clean' taste to it? It really isn't that cheap either, especially when you waste money on those boring sauces.

Ketchup has clearly been covered on here. I think it is allowed on chips, fry ups, burgers, fried chicken etc. Despite that, it can easily be replaced by mayonnaise, brown sauce or barbeque sauce, depending on the occasion.

Processed cheese. Ban it for crimes against cheese.

People who won't try things and don't understand the concept of an acquired taste. These people are depressing and boring. They usually act as if there's something inherently bourgeois about unusual food until I point out their meals cost more than mine.

On a more serious note, the worst crime is to waste food. We should all be conscious of what it is we are eating and how it came to be on our plates, and as such we should respect it.
Harrifer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MelissaJayne)
Shamefully, I have to admit, a group of lads I know, when drunk..have been known to raid the bins behind a local tesco. The big biffa ones, they're full of bags and bags of doughnuts, bread, cookies, muffins (all still in their packaging and so on) and they eat them! I couldn't do it myself, being in a bin and all, even if it was a specific food bin for that..but drunken lads seemed not to care. And I was happy to see they weren't wasted.
LOL I used to do this regularly back when I lived in Brighton. It's pretty much standard practise there.

Co-op are brilliant, because they bag their food waste separately most of the time, so you can just open each bag and see whats inside. Obviously I wouldn't eat food that's been in contact with the bin.

I remember serving up a meal for some friends, they were shocked when I told them how much of the stuff came out of a skip. Didn't hurt them though.

Obviously there's some stuff you can't take, but baked goods and vegetables are almost always good. Cheese is rare but usually good; fruit other than bananas are usually good; meat should be taken with caution. Milk can be put to the smell test and the use-by date of eggs must always be respected.

One trouble I've often had is actually finding the bins, you wouldn't believe how hard that can be sometimes.
MelissaJayne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Harrifer)
LOL I used to do this regularly back when I lived in Brighton. It's pretty much standard practise there.

Co-op are brilliant, because they bag their food waste separately most of the time, so you can just open each bag and see whats inside. Obviously I wouldn't eat food that's been in contact with the bin.

I remember serving up a meal for some friends, they were shocked when I told them how much of the stuff came out of a skip. Didn't hurt them though.

Obviously there's some stuff you can't take, but baked goods and vegetables are almost always good. Cheese is rare but usually good; fruit other than bananas are usually good; meat should be taken with caution. Milk can be put to the smell test and the use-by date of eggs must always be respected.

One trouble I've often had is actually finding the bins, you wouldn't believe how hard that can be sometimes.
ha ha, brilliant. I have so much respect for you right now.
dnumberwang
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Harrifer)
Pasta bake.

That's the one of the biggest food crimes ever committed. My housemates are regular offenders.

It's just the most mediocre and depressing dish anyone ever created. It's also seriously unhealthy, unless you stuff a bit of veg in there, which naturally they don't. I don't know why people associate pasta with health, maybe because it has a 'clean' taste to it? It really isn't that cheap either, especially when you waste money on those boring sauces.
Meh, it's only pasta with sauce and cheese and it isn't bad, how healthy it is shouldn't matter at all and putting vegetables in would probably ruin it
Harrifer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dnumberwang)
Meh, it's only pasta with sauce and cheese and it isn't bad, how healthy it is shouldn't matter at all and putting vegetables in would probably ruin it
You don't find it depressing?

It's horribly inauthentic.
TotoMimo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have a snooty aunt who refuses to eat chippy fish and chips unless she has cutlery. Food crime right there.
brionysmith
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nanny's specialty- boiling vegetables with a helping of salt so much so that the vegetables decompose and all your are left with is some hideous soupy solution.

yum.
SoapyDish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Read upside down on someone's newspaper in the doctors this morning that apparently they're banning salt from fish and chip shops - foodie crime right there!

Spoiler:
Show
Well actually, that's the Daily Mail's interpretation of Stockport Council encouraging restaurants to sign up to a voluntary scheme, called "out of sight, out of mind", where salt shakers are hidden and the customer has to ask for it. Hardly the 1984 nanny state bandwagon that all the Mail readers are jumping on.
nymphadora
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also when people boil vegetables to an indistinguishable mush, and the greens have a brown tinge to them and they all taste the same, but if the same vegetable had been cooked for less or not at all they'd be lovely and bright and fresh and tasty. It's such a waste
InsaneFandom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aha I love the abuse I get from people when they see me bin my crusts :p:
TotoMimo
Rep:
?
You bin your crusts?! SACRILEGE! What about the inevitable curly hair?!
Schmokie Dragon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TwilightKnight)
I actually had a falling out with someone over this.

We were at a restaurant for my Grandma's 80th, and my cousin, who is one of those people who joins in with any fad as long as there is SOMEONE else on the planet doing it had declared at the start of the meal that she was a vegetarian.

"I don't eat meat. It's wrong" That's fine and all. If your morals object to eating flesh, I don't have a problem at all. But don't say it's wrong if you're actually just a vegetarian because you're watching your weight or some other spurious reason.

Later on in the meal, she was sat their nibbling on chicken wings that her boyfriend had ordered on the side, and literally just eating the steak he had ordered for his main. Like - she had taken it off his plate and was eating it.

So I said, as a joke "So you're a vegetarian apart from beef and chicken, the two most commercial forms of meat available" "Only with those. They're bred to be eaten, it isn't wrong with chicken and beef" "And ... the Pigs and Lambs are bred for RACING are they?" Cue laughter. Cousin stops eating the steak and sort of sits there sulking a bit. Her boyfriend and my uncle than proceed to joke about what bandwagon she will be on next week. I'm sort of sat there feeling bad because I didn't actually mean to embarrass/upset her.
How infuriating!

How does she get through life without hurting herself?
Pi!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Putting salt on your food before you've tried it.
TotoMimo
Rep:
?
(Original post by nymphadora)
Also when people boil vegetables to an indistinguishable mush, and the greens have a brown tinge to them and they all taste the same, but if the same vegetable had been cooked for less or not at all they'd be lovely and bright and fresh and tasty. It's such a waste
My mum makes veg like this and it drives me nuts. When she serves up almost-BROWN broccoli and sprouts, I die a little inside. In the mouth, no chewing, tasteless, nutritionally-void disintegrating veg.
floskii
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ketchup on pretty much ANYTHING except chips. It makes me cringe. My ex used to eat ketchup on toast. If I see someone putting ketchup on a steak, or a roast dinner, or anything like that, I automatically judge them to be a massive baby who can't eat proper food.

Not liking vegetables. I know some people genuinely dislike certain foods, but there are literally THOUSANDS of vegetables out there, and you're telling me you've tried every single variety and not ONE appeals to you? This is on a par with adults who eat nothing but chicken dippers and pizza. It makes me feel sorry for them that they're missing out on such delicious food by refusing to expand their palate.

Basically my food crimes come down to people refusing to try new things and acting like giant children when it comes to food!
floskii
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OH and people who criticise what I'm eating, if I'm sat there eating something I really don't want to hear how you think it looks like **** or how you're "OMG LITERALLY GONNA THROW UP OMG EW EW EW"
It puts me off
MelissaJayne
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by floskii)
OH and people who criticise what I'm eating, if I'm sat there eating something I really don't want to hear how you think it looks like **** or how you're "OMG LITERALLY GONNA THROW UP OMG EW EW EW"
It puts me off
This! It's so annoying, it's like, I'm not asking you to eat it, so why does it matter to you how it looks? Let me eat my food in peace, like Jesus would've wanted!
Ellziii
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TomInce6666)
Steak, anything more than medium-rare.
In total agreement. Steak should still moo and run away from yr fork imo.
Ellziii
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jeh_jeh)
I would actually just tell my boyfriend to man the hell up if he did that.

On a slightly related note, my boy hates cheese. I cannot for the life of me fathom how this is possible... especially for a member of the male species. :p:
My best friend is scared of cheese, I kid you not
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads