Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TA888)
    Why on earth has everyone got 2 years 3 months for payback? Wasn't the initial investment £100m? Year 1 net cash flow was £50 and year 2, £70m. I got 1 year 9 months because to recoup the investment, it has to be between years 1 and 2 surely!?
    It's profit, not inflow, babe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    I thought it said 3 percent in 2009 and 6 percent in 2010-2011. Anyway who cares lol. I will still get credit for the point
    That little group of results said it was for 2010-2011 and then the two columns were
    Sound and vision - 3%
    Industry standard 6%

I mentioned it is going to be hard to reach their corporate objectives of 'strategic innovation' if they are investing 3% less of their revenue in R and D than industry standard.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. The inflow was much more. I took the inflow from the outflow, which gave me the net inflows i.e £50m, £70m

ReputationRep:
    For the payback I did:

40 + 40 + 80 = 160

160 / 3 (The amount of years)

100 / (160/3) = 1.875 Years to payback

Therefore: 1 Year 10.5 Months ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Mark)
    Resat this paper, was a lot better then the first time round. I got £29.6m for NPV and 2years and 3 months for payback.

And thank god CPA didnt come up!

In Q4 did people say they should or shouldnt go through with the plans? I know there is no right or wrong answer just curious.
    i said yes they should, seems that the majority of the evidence was in favour, financially supporting it and the market research, and in my evaluation i put how they seemed to be the most important factors in my opinion yay

I got the same figures, so im guessing that they are defo right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoopaNova)
    You gotta work out the total cash flow, so cash inflow minus cash outflow, that was
    Y1 40
    Y2 40
    Y3 80

80/4=20
    40+40+20=100
    2 Years 3 Months

And yeah i said they shouldn't go through with it for Q4, i talked about how all stores are going to be the same and there will be younger staff, so the store will lose its main customers (25-30?) as the individualism of stores and expert knowledge of staff will be gone
    Why did you divide by 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben024)
    For the payback I did:

40 + 40 + 80 = 160

Youve worked out ARR I think

Should be
    40 + 40 = 2 years and you neede 20m more to pay it back
    so you do 20/80 (that you get the next year) and then times that by 12 to give you the amount of months and add on the 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    For the payback I did:

40 + 40 + 80 = 160

iv messed up well bad for payback i did 100 million invested over 25 million that it sed summat about gettin back in same paragraph = 4 so i put 4 years an that they wouldnt meet the target of 3 years,

hard question that though think the other ones went alryt i wrote about 55% geared and acid test 0.8:1 so bad liquidity

ReputationRep:
    The net flows where

Year 1 40
    Year 2 40
    Year 3 80

Therefore you know that it is going to be a minimum of 2 years.

Then you do 100-80 which was 20. Then you did 20 divided by 80 times by 12 which give you the 3 months.

It was impossible for it to be less than 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    For the payback I did:

40 + 40 + 80 = 160

Sorry, think its a bit wrong.

yr 1 profit was 40
    Yr 2 40
    then 80 yr 3 i think??

so 100m investment, payback is 2 years something. To find out months 20/80 then x by 12 to get 3 months. (or 20/80 *52 to get 13 weeks)

Anyone confirm calculations? Also dont worry they will still credit you some marks for method if some parts correct, and if u use it as evidence you will still be credited for it

ReputationRep:
    I can see that but from a Maths A-Level student, how on earth did I get...

Year 1 50
    Year 2 70
    Year 3 120 something

Inflow minus outflow... thats what I did!
    I'm worried

ReputationRep:
    I think the boundaries will be

A*-61/80
    A- 56/80
    B- 51/80
    C- 46/80

ReputationRep:
    Damn was taught a weird method of payback
    I got 3 years 3 months

After 2 years 80,000 had been paid back, therefore
    20 left to pay/80 earned in year 3 x 12 = 3 months

3 years 3 months

But guess that's wrong from the concensus here

Got 29.6 for the nPV on the brightside.

ReputationRep:
    Why did you divide by 4?
    Y3= 80= 12 months

I Needed 20, so to get that i had to divide by 4,
    So 80/4=20, then the 12 months divide by 4 equals 3 months, i hope they accept my calculation, didn't describe in ^ that detail tho

ReputationRep:
    ive messed up question 2 man

ReputationRep:
    On the first question I said that a business like this involves a lot of employees communicating with employees, so they know the employees best. Also, the fact they are are knowledgable so they can make these informed decisions.

On the second question I calculated payback and npv then said the definition of each and wrote a statement for each.

On the third question I said it was justified investing so much in the brand awareness as they rely on this to build up a loyal customer base. But I said to regain market share was not vital in the long term but build up an established customer base for long term viability.

On the last question my for's where emplying younger people as there is now a younger target target, and the partnership with the network provider. Bad things were that rhey are planning to change formats when market research showed customers like the individuality of each shop. I also said that erm can't remember.

And for recommendation I only did like half a page. Overall I did 8 pages which was not that good.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, I did absolutely pants in this paper. This was much much worse than the Jan paper. My time management was bad, I wasted a lot of time on Q2 (to which I only half answered.. probably not even half) I only had time to write half a side for Q4 and to top that off, there was drilling and hammering going on next door. It could not have gone any worse, but I still have my B from Jan

ReputationRep:
    it was tough i got a B in Jan as-well i wrote 10 pages in total

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    I think the boundaries will be

A*-61/80
    A- 56/80
    B- 51/80
    C- 46/80
    Really... I'd estimate that down one:

A* : 56/80
    A : 51/80
    B : 46/80
    C : 41/80

Also, an interesting Exam... The Case Study was as I had expected, given the Topics that had not been covered... BUT The Questions were the wrong way around... I had predicted Organisational Structures as the 34 Marker
    Whoops

I think it went alright, although some are discussing using the NPV for a more accurate version of the Payback Period...
    What are people's opinions on that?

Q3 was an awkward question, felt more like a miniature 34 Marker, as opposed to a Marketing Question in itself.

ReputationRep:
    struggled to cope with time yet again! felt like there was way too much to write about for question 3 which meant i didnt quite finish question 4! also was a bit confused by the calculation question, used to seeing them as a ten marker! oh well its done now!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2011

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.