Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mBadAtMaths)
    Sweet. What modules are you doing this year (presuming you're first year)
    Yep first year so far we've done modules in Biochemistry, Genetics and Microbiology which have all been good. How about you? The workload must be pretty intense at Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Yep first year so far we've done modules in Biochemistry, Genetics and Microbiology which have all been good. How about you? The workload must be pretty intense at Imperial.
    I'm used to hard work and I really enjoy the stuff we do, so I'd wouldn't consider the workload that bad (we do, however, have to submit an assessed lab report once a week).

We've done 2 modules this term. The first is biological chemistry, which includes organic chemistry (from reaction mechanisms to orbital hybridisation), physical chemistry, metabolism and bioenergetics (respiration). The second one we've done this term is cell biology (which includes generic cell biology, immunology, microbiology...). I've got exams in both of those next week.

Next term we start proteins and enzymes, and molecular biology.

Have you had exams? What are your labs like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mBadAtMaths)
    I'm used to hard work and I really enjoy the stuff we do, so I'd wouldn't consider the workload that bad (we do, however, have to submit an assessed lab report once a week).

We've done 2 modules this term. The first is biological chemistry, which includes organic chemistry (from reaction mechanisms to orbital hybridisation), physical chemistry, metabolism and bioenergetics (respiration). The second one we've done this term is cell biology (which includes generic cell biology, immunology, microbiology...). I've got exams in both of those next week.

Next term we start proteins and enzymes, and molecular biology.

Have you had exams? What are your labs like?
    Cool- it sounds like we haven't done as much organic chemistry as you. We've had 4 exams this month which has been more than most other courses and tbh they've been pretty challenging (especially genetics). Hoping they've all gone fine!

Labs are ok but it can get tiring being there for 3 hours at a time. The lecturers are all really passionate about their subjects

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering biochem next year, just wondered what people plan on doing afterwards/for their career/possible ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an interview for Leicester tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield, bristol or york?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jwells)
    Sheffield, bristol or york?
    Wow, I'm trying to make exactly the same choice as you! At the moment I think I'm leaning towards Sheffield because of their 4 year MBiolSci course and the overall good impression I got on the open day. Seems like a good student city as well. York's course looks pretty nice as well though, and they've got quite a bit more chemistry than the others, which is tempting for me! Bristol's big reputation is making it hard for me to decide whether or not I would actually enjoy it there... Tough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plankey)
    Wow, I'm trying to make exactly the same choice as you! At the moment I think I'm leaning towards Sheffield because of their 4 year MBiolSci course and the overall good impression I got on the open day. Seems like a good student city as well. York's course looks pretty nice as well though, and they've got quite a bit more chemistry than the others, which is tempting for me! Bristol's big reputation is making it hard for me to decide whether or not I would actually enjoy it there... Tough.
    Bristol is a great city though. Also i was talking to one of the tutors at sheffield, i don't know what route you are taking, he was saying that you don't necessarily have to do a masters to do a phd. i only asked because thats the route i think i am taking. i think york is off my list now i just find the city quite a sombre and boring place (personal opinion nothing against the place). Bristol has a massive reputation which makes me think i will be stupid to give up a place there, massively research lead as well. Its a tough one sheffield is great i can just see i a city purely based around students to get repetitive. Let me know what your conclusion is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spellstheend)
    I'm considering biochem next year, just wondered what people plan on doing afterwards/for their career/possible ideas?
    Masters/ PhD/ research/ patent law/ postgrad medicine/ pharmaceuticals...

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got an offer from either Glasgow, Dundee or Aberdeen - Biochemistry? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied at Lancaster, Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester and Keele (with forensics). Had offers from Leeds (ABB) and Keele (BBC), got an interview at Lancaster on March 3rd, and an interview on Manchester which I'm not attending. Only waiting on Newcastle now. Think I'm going to have Lancaster as my firm and Keele as my insurance. I've applied for deferred entry aswell, I'm taking a gap year! Anyone else doing deferred entry for any of these?

Predicted Grades: ABB
    AS Levels: BBB (resitting two)

ReputationRep:
    I got all five of my offers for biochemistry (from york, bath, bristol, nottingham and sheffield). they are all asking for AAB which im pretty confident ill get (im predicted A*AA for maths, chemistry and biology).

the problem is i cant decided where to go!!! ive narrowed it down to sheffield and nottingham as i really like both of them when i visited them.

can anyone give me any advice to which one i should choose. just throw in anything you feel that would sell the uni to me (student life, the course itself, the accommodation, the reputation and any other extra selling points). Also i am from a chinese background and i would also prefer a place with a big asian/chinese community =) Thanks for any help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chan3002)
    I got all five of my offers for biochemistry (from york, bath, bristol, nottingham and sheffield). they are all asking for AAB which im pretty confident ill get (im predicted A*AA for maths, chemistry and biology).

the problem is i cant decided where to go!!! ive narrowed it down to sheffield and nottingham as i really like both of them when i visited them.

can anyone give me any advice to which one i should choose. just throw in anything you feel that would sell the uni to me (student life, the course itself, the accommodation, the reputation and any other extra selling points). Also i am from a chinese background and i would also prefer a place with a big asian/chinese community =) Thanks for any help!!
    Can't help with choices, but wanted to say congrats

ReputationRep:

This guy might be able to help you out

(Original post by kbountra)

ReputationRep:
    Got offers for Biochemistry from Portsmouth and the UEA. Also got an offer for Medical Biochemistry from Swansea. I really cannot decide where to go especially with the unis saying that you're guarenteed accomadation by putting them as your fim offer.

ReputationRep:

Nottingham
    + really good campus, traditional halls style of accommodation, course allows you to take pure chemistry modules
    - were asking for BBB last year, lower in the rankings than sheffield, some of the student rooms are too dark and need improvement.

Sheffield
    + student oriented city, large modern student villages, top student union in country, ranked 3rd for Biochem, first year is broad molecular bioscience based and you can switch to a different course in the department if your interests change. Nobel prize winners (including Lord Krebs) have worked in the department which adds to the prestige and each year we get a lot of famous guest lecturers (e.g. Ada Yonath/Sir Alec Jeffreys) in.
    - course could have a higher chemistry content, the hills are a bit annoying too

ReputationRep:
    Just got a conditional offer from Imperial London, very happy with myself. I rang them up earlier and asked if they are giving any more places as my friend is also waiting on them, but unfortunately they said no, apparently I was one of the last people to get offered a place so if you haven't got an email then you probably haven't got one sorry. I'm very happy with my efforts and while you're all on the dole I will be wasting my student loan on beer and parties haha.
    Jack Belfitt 10GU Gomlcoptergomltronnig

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackBelfit)
    Just got a conditional offer from Imperial London, very happy with myself. I rang them up earlier and asked if they are giving any more places as my friend is also waiting on them, but unfortunately they said no, apparently I was one of the last people to get offered a place so if you haven't got an email then you probably haven't got one sorry. I'm very happy with my efforts and while you're all on the dole I will be wasting my student loan on beer and parties haha.
    Hey buddy, I'm a first year at Imperial. Ask me questions if you wish

ReputationRep:
    I have been offereed a place at Bristol, Leicester, Queen Mary (London) and Nottingham. My final choice is Imperial college. I am yet to have a desicion from them and was wondering if anybody else is waiting for a desicion from Imperial to study Biochem? Also, does anybody know how late they actually make desicions? Meaning how late will I get an offer/rejection?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wales1994)
    I have been offereed a place at Bristol, Leicester, Queen Mary (London) and Nottingham. My final choice is Imperial college. I am yet to have a desicion from them and was wondering if anybody else is waiting for a desicion from Imperial to study Biochem? Also, does anybody know how late they actually make desicions? Meaning how late will I get an offer/rejection?

(Original post by JackBelfit)

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.