Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_tait)
    impressive press. I too have ditched the bp. Have you done 5/3/1 for a year or longer? If so what did you gain on the press?
    I've run 5/3/1 since jan 10. I have the occasioanl dalliance (like last month...) but always come back to it. Even when I'm essentially dicking about I'll generally use the percentages as a warmup.

Press has gone from 50 for 4ish to 60 for 16 and a comfortable 90 for a single. Bodyweight has fluctuated from the low 70's up to mid 90's and everything in between.

****. That's actually some serious progress. It's weird when you type it out like that...

Also, bench is gay. Just to clarify.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    Nice little article!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    I've run 5/3/1 since jan 10. I have the occasioanl dalliance (like last month...) but always come back to it. Even when I'm essentially dicking about I'll generally use the percentages as a warmup.

Press has gone from 50 for 4ish to 60 for 16 and a comfortable 90 for a single. Bodyweight has fluctuated from the low 70's up to mid 90's and everything in between.

****. That's actually some serious progress. It's weird when you type it out like that...

Also, bench is gay. Just to clarify.
    That mad progress m8. This year will be a good one for my press then I hope.

ReputationRep:
    ...It was going really well till I subluxed my hip warming up on front squats. Seriously, I've never felt pain like it. My hip and leg cramped up so bad I'm pretty sure I passed out and I had to ring my mum and dad to come pick me up because I couldn't bear weight on my right leg.

The crazy thing is, I don't think I was anywhere near 'the line'. The human body is capable of some seriously awesome **** and will adapt to pretty much anything that gets thrown at it.
    What a bizarre conclusion to draw from the obviously disastrous outcome of this experiment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    What a bizarre conclusion to draw from the obviously disastrous outcome of this experiment.
    I got a bit hurt. No long term harm done and I set significant PBs in basically every lift. Hardly a disaster.

Unfortunatly I couldn't train xmas day or boxing day cos I was working and the gym shut early but I managed to get in this morning.

Elevated stiff leg deadlift (working off of a training max of 140kg)

90x5
    110x5
    120x10

60x10,10,10,10,10

Chins

+15kgx10,10,10,10,10

Solid session, hip felt good after a short warmup. This is promising. Also, I hate doing stuff that puts load on my low back in the AM. Not too sure why but it never feels 'right' so I'm quite happy with what I managed today.

ReputationRep:
    I got a bit hurt. No long term harm done
    The latter because of the former.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't like training between night shifts. Still, gotta get **** done.

Dumbell Bench

20x10
    25x10
    30x10
    35x12
    30x10

Plate Front Raises

10kgx100

T-bar Rows

superset with...

Face Pulls

Stretching and mobility to finish.

ReputationRep:
    Legs

Leg Extensions

Single Leg Squats

30 per leg

Squat

60x3,3
    100x3,3
    115x3
    130x3
    150x3

100x10,10,10,10,10

Good Mornings

50x10,10,10,10,10

Stretching to finish.

I hit my reps and left since I've just come off of nights. It wasn't a great session but wasn't bad either. Everything was explosive.

ReputationRep:
    High Rep Legs

I like these sessions, I'm in and out of the gym within 20 mins and just chase the biggest pump I can get. Plus the intensity is so low these sessions have no effect on my recovery.

Since incorporating them my arms and legs have exploded. Titties and back not so much, but then I've found that stuff that makes them grow doesn't translate well to high-rep work (particularly tittie stuff).

Leg Curl

100 reps

Single Leg Squat

50 per leg in sets of 25, done super slow focusing on getting a great quad/hip stretch.

Leg Extension

Hack Sqwat

Decline Situp

ReputationRep:
    Press

Barxmany
    50x3,3
    57.5x3
    65x10

50x10,10,10,10,10

Chins

+20kgx10,10,10,10,10

Seated Row

Currently knocking back a couple if big bags of M&M's and some peanut butter on toast. Hitting McDonalds later for food fun time.

I love rampage day.

ReputationRep:
    Press

Barxmany
    50x3,3
    57.5x3
    65x10

50x10,10,10,10,10

Chins

+20kgx10,10,10,10,10

Seated Row

Currently knocking back a couple if big bags of M&M's and some peanut butter on toast. Hitting McDonalds later for food fun time.

I love rampage day.
    Your chin ups are crazy! How much do you weigh and how tall are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Your chin ups are crazy! How much do you weigh and how tall are you?
    Thanks buddy.

I'm currently sitting between 79 and 83kg at a height of 5'7". I've come down from a bulked 92+ hence my chins and dips going through the roof. I also chin a lot (like most times I set foot in the gym, I only tend to blog weighted stuff) so am quite good at it as a result.

ReputationRep:
    Dips

BW+20kgx10,10,10,10,10

Those were stupid easy, to the point where I didn't even warm up. I just grabbed a 20 and started cracking out reps. Thinks I need to add moar weightzz!

Shrugs

100x25
    140x10
    170x8,8,8

Preacher Curls

Superset with...

Rope Pushdowns

In and out in 25mins as planned.

ReputationRep:
    Dips

BW+20kgx10,10,10,10,10

Those were stupid easy, to the point where I didn't even warm up. I just grabbed a 20 and started cracking out reps. Thinks I need to add moar weightzz!

Shrugs

100x25
    140x10
    170x8,8,8

Preacher Curls

Superset with...

Rope Pushdowns

In and out in 25mins as planned.
    You cutting still? Impressive dips!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny.)
    You cutting still? Impressive dips!
    Yeah, unfortunatly. If I get a flea up my arse I might post pics at some point in the near future. Or I might not...

Dips are awesome (unless you have shoulder issues). They're like an upper body squat.

As an aside, I dropped £70 on a weighted vest yesterday because it'll make walking down the street all the more manly.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, unfortunatly. If I get a flea up my arse I might post pics at some point in the near future. Or I might not...

Dips are awesome (unless you have shoulder issues). They're like an upper body squat.

As an aside, I dropped £70 on a weighted vest yesterday because it'll make walking down the street all the more manly.
    I think you're my new hero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mdawg)
    I think you're my new hero.

Correction. £60

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gorilla-Spor...8&sr=8-3-fkmr0

Really need to get ahold of my finances...

Regardless, it's an awesome conditioning tool for people who hate/are too lazy to do conditioning. I walk a fair bit anyway on my days off so this will be my new coat. Serious.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting experiment. I got some diclofenac when I had my tonsils out but I had to stop taking it as it made me feel like ****. Preferred the painful tonsils tbh. It's good that it worked for you though.

ReputationRep:
    Work has prevented me from putting up updates...

Back/Hammies

Elevated SLDL

60x3xmany
    100x3
    115x3
    125x7

60x10,10,10,10,10

Dumbell Row

40kgx20,15,15

Legs

Squat

60x3,3,3
    100x3,3
    120x5
    140x3
    155x3
    170x1

Leg Press

3 platesx15
    4 platesx15
    5 platesx15
    6 platesx12
    4 platesx15

Cable Crunch

Weighted Hypers

Notes:

My squat has really gone into the ****ter as of late. Partly because I'm a little bit ill and partly because my body hasn't quite adjusted to my retarded work schedule of late. I also weighed in @ 76kg this morning. I haven't been this light since I stopped being fat and disgusting 2 and a bit years ago. I've got to say I look 10000x better at this weight now than I did before (obvs). However, I don't feel 'strong' at this weight. It's almost like I lack enough body mass to support the weights I'm lifting and I don't feel as tight in the hole when I squat, nor do I feel like I've got enough counter weight when I'm pulling. It's almost like when I was heavier I was lifting with wraps and now those wraps are gone. That's probably just a load of bro-science and excuses for being a pussy but make of it what you will.

To be fair though I have effectively come down 2 weight classes in around 3 months starting in the mid 90's (and therefore effectively lifting in the 100kg class were I to compete) to 76kg and the 82.5kg class. Realistically, were I to do a meet- I'm not going to because I'm a pussy- I'd drop the extra 2lbs and lift @ 67.5kg and tear **** up (or not). I haven't really lost all that much max strength tbh. My rep strength is in the ****ter, mind.

The plan now is to maintain for a bit and then eat up to around the 80kg mark. That's where I felt strongest and I think that's where I'll stay for the forseeable because I have some 'show' to accompany my modest 'go'.

ReputationRep:
    I have a couple more days worth of training to write up. Nothing groundbreaking.

Legs (volume)

Leg Curl

100 reps

Leg Extension

25,25,25,25,25,12 (increasing weight by ~10kg each set)

Hack Squat

Single Leg Sqwatz

Went for a 30min walk with my new 20kg weighted vest.

Press

Press

50x3,3
    55x5
    62.5x3
    72.5x7

50x10,10,10,10,10

Did sets of T-bars for 25 or so reps in between.

Chins

+25kgx6,6,6,6

Upper Body 'Volume'

Dips

+20x10
    +35x6,6,6,6

Shrugs

100x20
    140x12
    170x8,8
    200x6,6,6
    140x15,15

Curls

barx150 PB.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.