Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Americanism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    That's also the "typical Londoner" mistake, judging by the attitude of most people there
    I'm still trying to figure out how any Brit with a brain can think that there are no British tourists in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Yes, it's the method of public transportation in London. You're not making the "typical American" mistake of assuming that Britain is composed solely of London, are you?
    The vast majority of American tourists are in London at some point.

Besides I was only suggesting one example of Americans being annoying: I'm sure they are just as capable as ruining the commute home in Glasgow, Manchester or wherever.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still trying to figure out how any Brit with a brain can think that there are no British tourists in London.

Britain is such a small place I would think 'visitor' is a better word for someone visiting London: If I went to Edinburgh I wouldn't see myself as a tourist, even if it is technically the right term. Maybe that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    Cos they have Brits accents, he'd probably assume at the time they weren't tourists..I think, truly he's referring to Americans in general rather than tourists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    If I went to Edinburgh I wouldn't see myself as a tourist, .
    You'd be surprised about how foreign an English person can feel in Scotland, maybe less so in Edinburgh than other parts, but still true.

ReputationRep:
    in fairness, many scots in london are more accurately known as tramps than tourists though I have never met an american tramp in london, only tourists and students, though I'm sure there are some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    The vast majority of American tourists are in London at some point.

Besides I was only suggesting one example of Americans being annoying: I'm sure they are just as capable as ruining the commute home in Glasgow, Manchester or wherever.
    I'm sure everyone you know knows at least one Briton who behaved inappropriately. Can I take it you hate all Britons?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure everyone you know knows at least one Briton who behaved inappropriately. Can I take it you hate all Britons?
    The point is the ratio of meetings with people I have:times they are annoying.

I spend my whole life dealing with Britons. Comparatively I spend almost no time with Americans.

As such it amazes me how much they manage to annoy me given they have such a small window to do it in!

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised about how foreign an English person can feel in Scotland, maybe less so in Edinburgh than other parts, but still true.
    Fair enough, although I didn't feel alien in Aberdeen or Glasgow when I went there either.

If you mean more rural settings, frankly I feel alien right outside London in rural areas as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    Fair enough, although I didn't feel alien in Aberdeen or Glasgow when I went there either.
    Really? Might just be me then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    The point is the ratio of meetings with people I have:times they are annoying.

I spend my whole life dealing with Britons. Comparatively I spend almost no time with Americans.

As such it amazes me how much they manage to annoy me given they have such a small window to do it in!
    Don't you think you may be inventing imaginary problems..letting prejudice cloud your judgement?

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think you may be inventing imaginary problems..letting prejudice cloud your judgement?
    I never said the problems were rational! Everyone has pet peeves.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's anything like hatred, it's just Americans are (or are percieved to be)quite different in their mentality, social manner, etc, to the extent that Brits may find it harder to get on with them. Different meaning from Brits, but also Europeans.
    I'm wondering what specific aspect of our mentality riles the most?

Is it that we like to keep things simple or try to simplify things? With us, things are always true/false, yes/no, up/down and rarely "it depends"

Characteristics such as being friendly or optimistic are hardly traits that could get someone's blood boiling. Or am I wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I'm wondering what specific aspect of our mentality riles the most?

Is it that we like to keep things simple or try to simplify things? With us, things are always true/false, yes/no, up/down and rarely "it depends"

Characteristics such as being friendly or optimistic are hardly traits that could get someone's blood boiling. Or am I wrong?
    I think that among those who do have a problem with americans the thing that bothers them the most is that they would say Americans know and think too little of the world outside the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    What exactly are they doing that you find so annoying? Or is just their mere existence annoying to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I think that among those who do have a problem with americans the thing that bothers them the most is that they would say Americans know and think too little of the world outside the US.
    Do people living in Europe know and think too little of the world outside of Europe?

ReputationRep:
    Do people living in Europe know and think too little of the world outside of Europe?
    Make that Western Europe. I'm always stunned by the amount of Brits who've never heard of some central and eastern European countries.

ReputationRep:
    I love being from California - when I go abroad and people ask where I'm from I say California, not the US. Everyone then goes "Oh, wow, cool, do you surf to school? etc." rather than "We hate you, leave." It works out well.

ReputationRep:
    IMO - yes - relative to the US? No.

The US (understandably IMO cosnidering its size) knows far less about things like global location, foreign cultures and current affairs.

In addition though, you do hear things like "the home of democracy" which sticks in the craw of some of those in Europe who have had it for far longer than the US.

I like the US and Americans, **** I am marrying one, but it is IMO the case that Americans are more in love with the morality and righteousness of their NATION (not culture like the French) than any other European country, and partiotism of that ilk often comes across as arrogant especially given the relative paucity of knowledge of foreign affairs in the US.

I dont think any of that makes Americans bad people or worthy of abuse, nor indeed do I think it holds true for all Americans, but it is an honest observation.

IN truth I get along better with Ameircans that Brits. I much prefer them

ReputationRep:
    Make that Western Europe. I'm always stunned by the amount of Brits who've never heard of some central and eastern European countries.
    I need to try and find the link - but there was a study done on global location capability in a number of countries. The US was bottom.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.