Do you atheists ever feel empty? Watch

Three Mile Sprint
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pg_maths)
That's simply not correct. Either you lie or are terribly misinformed about the world, I can't quite decide.
Are you seriously denying that the majority of cultures in the world have always thought killing, stealing and lieing is wrong?
pg_maths
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
Ok then, I give the burden of evidence to you now.

Show me one country in the world, that has been governed by Christian Morality and has completely protected the rights and lives of it's citizens with them.
Many countries with Judeo-Christian philosophy at their foundation, don't you know? And with far better human rights than what the Chinese have managed over the centuries too.
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you seriously denying that the majority of cultures in the world have always thought killing, stealing and lieing is wrong?
now you say majority, earlier you said 'all'. Again you shift your positions. Stop being so shifty.
Three Mile Sprint
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Many countries with Judeo-Christian philosophy at their foundation, don't you know? And with far better human rights than what the Chinese have managed over the centuries too.
Yes many countries have a Jeudo-Christian philosophy, those same countries have historically consistently doing shockingly, sick, evil and twisted things to there populations.

If anything this harms your argument.
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This does not mean that Christianity is correct,
the discussion wasn't about whether Christianity was correct or not
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes many countries have a Jeudo-Christian philosophy, those same countries have historically consistently doing shockingly, sick, evil and twisted things to there populations.

If anything this harms your argument.
oh really, in comparison to China? How many did Mao murder?
Three Mile Sprint
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
now you say majority, earlier you said 'all'. Again you shift your positions. Stop being so shifty.
Your right, I did shift this one, I apologies in my original post I should have said the majority not all.

Can you answer the question please?
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Those nations' heritage and history and development of law is rooted in the cornerstones of Christianity.
civilizations all over the world have had moral codes before having ever come in contact with christianity. murder and rape and other things that you seem to be under the impression require christianity to be able to condemn have always been universally reviled
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your right, I did shift this one, I apologies in my original post I should have said the majority not all.

Can you answer the question please?
Not all regimes think killing is wrong, or stealing from their people. The atheist regimes of the 20th century are evidence of that. Brutal stuff. Where was your fancy chinese religion to stop Mao's massacre of millions of people?
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lucaf)
civilizations all over the world have had moral codes before having ever come in contact with christianity. murder and rape and other things that you seem to be under the impression require christianity to be able to condemn have always been universally reviled
Where did I state that?
Three Mile Sprint
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
oh really, in comparison to China? How many did Mao murder?
Mao murdered millions.

Yet Christian nations have over the past two thousand years murdered hundreds upon hundreds of millions, enacted backwards, hateful and harmful laws concernign women, children, homosexuals, adulterers started countless wars and invasions, raped butcherd and sacked there way across continents.

Set up ridiculously unfair court systems with no regards for justice, and horrifyingly harsh and cruel punishments(when they weren't just killing people straight out).

Stop shifting the topic, if Christian Morality was perfect and absolute, and if it set the groundwork for a perfect and just soceity.

Society would always have been perfect and justly ruled.

As it is we see that as the power of religions falter, as human philosophy and technologic advancement take prominence, that suffering is reduced, standards of living rise, justice systems become fairer and more balanced, less people are killed for the color of there skin, the organ between there legs, or who they want to sleep with.
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Where did I state that?
you didn't. but you are saying that the reason the west condemns murder and rape and such in law is because of its christian roots, and that is simply untrue.
Three Mile Sprint
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not all regimes think killing is wrong,
I never said regimes.
I said civilizations, I would bet good money the common man on the ground still thought Killing was wrong.
A dictator with power going against this does not change it.

or stealing from their people. The atheist regimes of the 20th century are evidence of that. Brutal stuff. Where was your fancy chinese religion to stop Mao's massacre of millions of people?
Taoism was being wiped out because it was seen as a harmful religion contrary to Mao's regime.
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mao murdered millions.

Yet Christian nations have over the past two thousand years murdered hundreds upon hundreds of millions, enacted backwards, hateful and harmful laws concernign women, children, homosexuals, adulterers started countless wars and invasions, raped butcherd and sacked there way across continents.

Set up ridiculously unfair court systems with no regards for justice, and horrifyingly harsh and cruel punishments(when they weren't just killing people straight out).

Stop shifting the topic, if Christian Morality was perfect and absolute, and if it set the groundwork for a perfect and just soceity.

Society would always have been perfect and justly ruled.

As it is we see that as the power of religions falter, as human philosophy and technologic advancement take prominence, that suffering is reduced, standards of living rise, justice systems become fairer and more balanced, less people are killed for the color of there skin, the organ between there legs, or who they want to sleep with.
No you hang on for a minute. You declared no absolutes so everything's relative, so let's compare 'Christian nations' with China's human rights records over the centuries. Fat lot of good Taoism was when Mao started his killing spree. And look at China today - run by communists. What an utopia indeed.
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I never said regimes.
I said civilizations, I would bet good money the common man on the ground still thought Killing was wrong.
A dictator with power going against this does not change it..
But now you are suggesting there are absolutes that humans move towards but you didn't get that teaching from your religion
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Taoism was being wiped out because it was seen as a harmful religion contrary to Mao's regime.
There you go. It was seen as harmful therefore wrong, according to your moral framework - you have no protections so no complaints. So Mao killing millions was not necessarily wrong under your bogus framework.
SNOWFORT
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Morning, I have posted this question elsewhere on the forum but not had an answer yet. Are we allowed to post youtube links that are relevant to the topic? Thanks
seb94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think if you are a true atheist, you don't feel empty. I for one was brought up under various christian denominations because of my family and school. However, at 14 as soon I started studying religion, I realised the flaws in it.

I think really the biggest point we would make is that one doesn't choose to be an atheist really. If I believed in God, I would believe in Him. I cannot wake up one day and decide that I believe He (or any other of the thousands deities that exist) is a true being.

Do I feel empty? No. In fact, lack of belief in a guardian angel makes me someone who is resilient and open to living life to the full. My experiences, failures and achievements make me grow as a person, and I'm sure accounting all of it to God would lessen the effect. I have wonderful friends, a family, good health from exercise and eating well, an education and many enjoyable passtimes. I don't see how believing in God would change that for me.
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by seb94)
I have wonderful friends, a family, good health from exercise and eating well, an education and many enjoyable passtimes. I don't see how believing in God would change that for me.
Then maybe it's nice to thank God.
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Then maybe it's nice to thank God.
And on that note, I thank the Lord and say goodbye for now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (114)
66.28%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.35%
Yes but I might change my mind (23)
13.37%

Watched Threads