Poll: What do you think the 6 marker will be?
Embryonic Stem cells/Genetic disorders (16)
29.09%
Mitosis and Meiosis (11)
20%
Speciation (13)
23.64%
Quadrats and Transects (6)
10.91%
Limiting factors of photosynthesis in the greenhouse (9)
16.36%
NightStrider
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tohaaaa)
Cool, what did you get for how the hypothesis can be tested in Area A + B.
I put they could use quadrats and transects to record the distribution on plants.....
Not sure if that is correct
I said but them in an controlled environment where the only thing which is changed is the light - the water, co2 and temperature should be kept constant.
ThatGirlx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What did everyone put for the first question!
Asking how to prevent the heat from the bulb affecting the rate of photosynthesis?
I HAD NOOOO IDEA?!
sykik
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NightStrider)
I said but them in an controlled environment where the only thing which is changed is the light - the water, co2 and temperature should be kept constant.
For this question could you put like use artificial light to see if it effects the result of the plant in shade and compare it with it the other plant
BI0
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you didn't revise for this paper, you would have done badly. I'd say it was hard, not personally for myself but some questions were quite tricky.

I can guarantee for the six mark question you didn't need to talk about the stomatas, palisade leaf cells, guard cells as they weren't relevant to the specification.

For 1), I wrote place a large tank of water between the lamp and the pond weed. This is what we did in our ISA to control the variables (:
I got 50% for the genetic diagram, 6 for the mode, etc.

Personally, I thought the question which asked how oxygen moves from the blood to the mitochondria (part A) was difficult!
^I wrote something along the lines of diffusion of oxygen through the cell membrane (high concentration->low concentration)

Really think the grade boundaries are likely to be low for this! (:
sykik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThatGirlx)
What did everyone put for the first question!
Asking how to prevent the heat from the bulb affecting the rate of photosynthesis?
I HAD NOOOO IDEA?!
It's suppose to be water bath but i wrote that don't keep it too close to the beaker
sykik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BI0)
If you didn't revise for this paper, you would have done badly. I'd say it was hard, not personally for myself but some questions were quite tricky.

I can guarantee for the six mark question you didn't need to talk about the stomatas, palisade leaf cells, guard cells as they weren't relevant to the specification.

For 1), I wrote place a large tank of water between the lamp and the pond weed. This is what we did in our ISA to control the variables (:

Personally, I thought the question which asked how oxygen moves from the blood to the mitochondria (part A) was difficult!
^I wrote something along the lines of diffusion of oxygen through the cell membrane (high concentration->low concentration)

For the oxygen one i completely forgot about diffusion but i wrote that hemoglobin in red blood cells absorb the oxygen
shibucool
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BI0)

As well as that you had to put that red blood cells transport oxygen to our body.
simmy123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what do you think the grade boundaries will be?
ThatGirlx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BI0)

No, you could actually talk about other tissues including the palisade tissues and the guard or stomata..
In the specification it specifically mentions mesophyll, xylem and phloem and epidermal, but only as EXAMPLES.. So they probably will allow more, especially as its a 6 marker meaning lots of answers!

Yeah, I agree about the grade boundaries!
& same, I got 50% too
What did you get for the question before that? Heterozygous?

And lastly, for the question about how oxygen gets from the blood to the mitochondria..
I wrote something like:
The oxygen moves from a high concentration in the blood to a low concentration in the cell which is down the concentration gradient. The oxygen passes through a partially permeable membrane..

Was it 3 or 4 marks? If you remember?
Best of luck on your results though, I'm sure you'll be fine, I think they'll be out March the 10th
sykik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think the grade boundaries will be low lie 42UMS for A*
ThatGirlx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sykik)
It's suppose to be water bath but i wrote that don't keep it too close to the beaker
Oh I wrote put a glass sheet in front lol
& oh unlucky It defo couldn't be the distance seeing as that was the independent variable!

What did you find most and least difficult?
ThatGirlx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sykik)
I think the grade boundaries will be low lie 42UMS for A*
42 marks you mean
And hope so!
sykik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Oh I wrote put a glass sheet in front lol
& oh unlucky It defo couldn't be the distance seeing as that was the independent variable!

What did you find most and least difficult?
I was a bit confused about how you could make enzyme question and by distance I meant that start from a bigger distance
shibucool
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tohaaaa)
Ha, that's EXACTLY what I put :P

(Original post by NightStrider)
Yeah, but I wrote 2/4 * 100 = 50% Same thing
OH thank god!! I thought I got it wrong :P
sykik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
42 marks you mean
And hope so!
]Lol this biology exam has messed up my brain
Flowertopsfi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I completely failed the six marker We hadn't really covered it much as our teacher were convinced anything to do with that would just be a one mark question!! I just talked about big air spaces, waxy cuticle, guard cells, chlorophyll and stoma - completely forgot the names of all the tissues
ThatGirlx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sykik)
]Lol this biology exam has messed up my brain
Lol awh!
Which questions did you find easiest? and hardest?
TelephoneBox
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Meh. I'd probably give it a 5 or 6 out of 10, know I've made some silly errors.

Been asking a few people in my year group whether or not they think it was easier or harder than the June paper? I would say the June 2012 paper was much easier.
shibucool
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What I hated the most was that the 6 mark question (about plant tissues) was a QWC question so if you spelled 'mesophyll' wrong, you will lose a mark
sykik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lol awh!
Which questions did you find easiest? and hardest?
Well the genetic diagram was easy and what did you put for how do you make enzymes?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads