Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

F334 (19/06/2013 9:00AM) - Salters Chemistry (Chemistry of Materials) Revision Thread Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this paper?
    Very easy (~74 for an A)
    18.75%
    Easy (~71 for an A)
    22.92%
    Average (~65 for an A)
    43.75%
    Hard (~61 for an A)
    12.50%
    Very Hard (~58 for an A)
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alansmathew)
    i agree with you on that complex question and titration question. about that methanoic acid question.... question said two acids are formed so i out methanoic acid and ethanoic acid... dont know if im right ???
    It was HCL and methanoic acid, HCL left over, methanol then oxidsed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alansmathew)
    HCl ? the question said it CH3OH and CH3OH were oxidised to form two acids... I dont see how HCl is a product of the oxidation... when the two initial substance dont have Cl in them.
    The first reaction to produce it had hcl

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got something like 4.24g for the 6 mark titration and so did another girl in the exam, how many marks will i lose/ does anyone know where I went wrong?

ReputationRep:
    for some reason i put volumetric flask instead of conical flask for the titration... i'll lose a mark for that won't i?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2385525

ReputationRep:
    What's this acid question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    What did people get for the 6 mark calculation?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

i think i got something along the lines of 1.69 grams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manpyy)
    with the isomer questions was there a double bond in the question? because im pretty sure there wasn't and was having difficulty with that question but others said there was a double bond so im really confused
    there wasnt i double bond... im not sure about this but i put that because the carbons were in a ring there is no rotation around the c-c bond....

i wasn't sure so i put neutral, why would it be acidic?
    i said acidic because there were 2 acidic groups (carboxylic acid and OH on benzene) and only one basic (NH2) any one else get this?

i got 1.69
    damn i got 16.9 but of got a power wrong somewhere

also for the unit for K i got S not S-1 im such an idiot i divited them the wrong way round

ReputationRep:
    Forgot I was the OP. I'll add a poll.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was a very average paper, with some weird questions thrown in. I don't expect the grade boundaries to change that much tbh. I also got 1.69 something for the calculation thingy.

Hope everyone found it alright!

BUT GUYS NO MORE SALTERS CHEMISTRY!!!!

Well hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    For the titration I found the number of moles of MnO4- that reacted, but I scaled that up wrong for the molar ratio with the reactant. From there I multiplied by 4 to get the moles in 100 cm^3 and then multiplied by the Mr of the AxH2O thing to get the answer. How many marks out of 6 do you think I would get here with that molar ratio mistake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    BUT GUYS NO MORE SALTERS CHEMISTRY!!!!

Well hopefully!

Hahaha Amen to that!

ReputationRep:
    1.69, 0.086 with messed up units, completely flopped the titration section!
    Thought the soluble zwitter ion was acidic, because there were more proton donors than acceptors.

On the chiral question: Isomers were possible because you could have functional groups above and below the ring, right? Therefore the two NH groups on the same side of the ring was the cis formation, and when they were on either side of the ring that was the trans formation.

And on the IR bit... the molecule we had to draw was definatley a salt right? Which was why there were no OH bonds on the spectra?

At least we didn't have to memorise the gay ligand stuff. (Except the manganate going from purple to pink)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwinLo)
    For the titration I found the number of moles of MnO4- that reacted, but I scaled that up wrong for the molar ratio with the reactant. From there I multiplied by 4 to get the moles in 100 cm^3 and then multiplied by the Mr of the AxH2O thing to get the answer. How many marks out of 6 do you think I would get here with that molar ratio mistake?
    4, possibly 5

ReputationRep:
    Poll added.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    Thought the soluble zwitter ion was acidic, because there were more proton donors than acceptors.

Yeah!

On the chiral question: Isomers were possible because you could have functional groups above and below the ring, right? Therefore the two NH groups on the same side of the ring was the cis formation, and when they were on either side of the ring that was the trans formation.

Yeah I drew a dashed line and a wedge to show that, I'll draw a diagram soon

And on the IR bit... the molecule we had to draw was definatley a salt right? Which was why there were no OH bonds on the spectra?

Yeah the first one was a salt, whilst the other one was ethan-1,2-diol

At least we didn't have to memorise the gay ligand stuff. (Except the manganate going from purple to pink)
    Loved that question
    See italics part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)

goes from colourless to pink doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    See italics part
    I got butan-1,4-diol for the alcohol because there 4 carbons and the OHs were on the ends, maybe I'm wrong though. Also put a carboxylic acid for the other molecule as I didn't see the NaOH part....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aWildPidgey)
    goes from colourless to pink doesn't it?
    Potassium Permanganate is purple so I thought it gradually loses its purpleness until it turns pale pink

ReputationRep:
    lowest it has been for an A is 63, highest is 71. average is about 65. i think it will be around 65, it wasn't too hard, i did drop quite a few marks myself so i'm hoping i border on an A, if not at least a B would be good

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.