The Student Room Group

The OFFICIAL AQA AS Philosophy May 2013 Exams Thread. (Units 1&2)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by mohamed68
Thanks!

You wouldn't by any chance have the mark scheme for this paper and examiners report too would you? It would be a big help!

no i don't have them, sorry
Reply 281
Original post by PaulyRivs
How did you find the exam? Do you have any idea how the mark scheme works? (i.e. how many marks out of 90 I would need to get a C?)

I got 49 in January and got a C :smile:
Original post by EleanorKeats
I'm not sure if someone has already answered your question (I haven't read through the entire thread) but Mill is a classical liberal so his justification is autonomy based.

Does anyone have an predictions for Tolerance or The Value of Art? I did well in January but I found unit 1 much more straight forward.

hey :smile: i predict something to do with the good life i think, as in the january paper a few pages back there was a question of the limits of tolerance minorities i think. last question on art was form so probably one of the other two..

Does anyone have any notes on value of art?
what would 22 marks out of 30 be? a b?
Original post by Pain room
I got 49 in January and got a C :smile:

Cool! :biggrin: Was this 49 marks out of 90 or as a percentage out of 100?
Original post by bananaterracottapie
hey :smile: i predict something to do with the good life i think, as in the january paper a few pages back there was a question of the limits of tolerance minorities i think. last question on art was form so probably one of the other two..

Does anyone have any notes on value of art?

I have notes on the value of art, but not on the computer. :\ It's some papers my teacher gave with possible ways of answering questions relating to the Value of Art. I think Value of Art will be emotion/representation or informativeness and as for Tolerance something to do with the acceptance components (acceptance, objection and rejection) and an argument about the good life and whether you agree or not and why. We did some revision on Tolerance and Value of Art this afternoon in class, so the teacher gave his predictions. :biggrin: Are you a Liberal (JS Mill), a Conservative (Scruton) or a Radicalist (Marcuse)?
I have notes on the value of art, but not on the computer. :\ It's some papers my teacher gave with possible ways of answering questions relating to the Value of Art. I think Value of Art will be emotion/representation or informativeness and as for Tolerance something to do with the acceptance components (acceptance, objection and rejection) and an argument about the good life and whether you agree or not and why. We did some revision on Tolerance and Value of Art this afternoon in class, so the teacher gave his predictions. :biggrin: Are you a Liberal (JS Mill), a Conservative (Scruton) or a Radicalist (Marcuse)?

a liberal fer sure :wink: interestingly i wonder, how they would/ if they could do a 30 marker on repressive desublimation. hmmm
i think informativeness for art too. pretty much agree with all your predictions actually! :smile: is there anyway you can give me brief bullet points on how to answer informativeness :smile: i have a bit of an idea but need guidance.
Original post by bananaterracottapie
a liberal fer sure :wink: interestingly i wonder, how they would/ if they could do a 30 marker on repressive desublimation. hmmm
i think informativeness for art too. pretty much agree with all your predictions actually! :smile: is there anyway you can give me brief bullet points on how to answer informativeness :smile: i have a bit of an idea but need guidance.

Informativeness = How art can inform us

Reasons for; We can be informed by artwork such as "Guernica" and how it informs us of the attacks on Spain during the Spanish Civil War. An image on 9/11 can inform us of what the towers looked like during the attack and how bad it was, which you could also link with emotion if you feel that way about certain imagery. A simple piece of artwork such as the Queen could inform us of who she is and what she looks like based on when the image was drawn. Artwork relating to movies, such as Shawshank Redemption, can inform us of what the USA was like back in the 1940's, or the Titanic film could inform us of what the Titanic disaster was like, which again, links to expressive qualities, much like Guernica, depending on how you value certain types of art.

Reasons against; You could argue that a piece of artwork, such as a toilet, could not really be considered informative in anyway and not even valuable at all! You could argue that some artwork has no informativeness to it because it's not even real. There are types of artwork where colours are just splattered on the same page together to make "art", but that in no way is regarded as informative, as there is no concept to it. Also, songs that are simply instrumental, such as Beethoven's Moonlight Sinatra or Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, they have no informativeness to them at all and the same could also be applied to dance. It's not informative, it's not necessarily expressive, it's just generally considered as having good artistic qualities (form).

Hope this helps! :biggrin: I hope I didn't ramble too much. :P
hola amigos! can anyone please help me, i have the phil2 exam friday on value of art and the external world.
my teacher predicted this horrible question:
'in the world we see illusions' assess the account sense data gives of what occurs during this phenomenon of perception'.
i know it's very specific, but id rather know.
so anyone know
a. what the bloody hell it means and
b. how one would go about anwering it.
Original post by Expert #7451
Howdy, just did my PHIL 1 exam today (I did PHIL 2 in January). I thought it went fairly well. For Reason and Experience the 15 marker was just a straightforward vocab, and the 30 mark one was on Rationalism and innate ideas (I think?). I went with some outlines of the Rationalist notion of conceptual schemes and then some on Descartes' Trademark Argument, and responses to both.

Anyone else think the Idea of God part had a real annoying 15 mark question? Maybe it was because I felt conflicted; I wasn't sure if it was asking for objections towards God being an innate idea, or justifying a refutation of God being an innate idea via alternate explanations. I went with the latter, as for the life of me I couldn't remember anything about direct objections to the notion of God being an innate idea. The thirty marker for that half was on the Ontological argument. Fairly straightforward; Anselm and Descartes forwarding it, Gaunilo and Kant providing objections.

I'm not too worried -- I did fairly well in January, so I only need to walk away with a C in this exam to get an A for AS. But it'd be good to know if I didn't do a colossal goof.

Hey, yeah I agree with you on the 15 mark but I believe either would have been acceptable. I went with your method of thinking; I concentrated on how God could have been produced through sociological foundations, and also a bit of Freud and psychological thoughts. On the 30 mark, I did Anslem's two seperate arguments in his Proslogion - In Proslogion II he talked about God's existence, with "God is that than which nothing greater can be conceived" and also "the fool hath said in his heart there is no God". Then obviously the whole argument there, and then in chapter III he talks about God's existence as being necessary. Then I did Gaunilo's objection and Anselm's two replies, Kant's objection and Stephen Davis' thoughts on how existence can expand the view of a concept, then also briefly on Malcom's ideas and Plantinga's criticisms, however the latter was quite frankly rushed and thus wasn't the best end to an essay.

For R&E the 15 marker was just piled with examples, although I feel my definitions could have been slightly less waffly. The 30 marker was a bit tough for me, but obviously went down definition of a Conceptual Scheme, why it could be true as in Kant's Causation and about permanence of a substance through physical state with Descartes' Wax Theory to back it up, then also how it undermines empiricism and Hume's Causation theory, and the whole Tabula Rasa thing and how empiricists thought we acquired concepts and such. On the whole I think my R&E section was weak. I did PHIL1 and PHIL2 in January and got 70 on PHIL1 but 87 on PHIL2 so I am hoping that I can get 73 or higher this time on PHIL2 and get an A. Wishful thinking probably, with what I wrote in my R&E section. What else should I have included in my answers?
Reply 290
Cool! :biggrin: Was this 49 marks out of 90 or as a percentage out of 100?

49 out of 90 in unit 1 :smile: literally just scraped it though so you might want to aim a little higher :wink: good luck
49 out of 90 in unit 1 :smile: literally just scraped it though so you might want to aim a little higher :wink: good luck

Gahh, I hope I will get a good grade. :P I wanna do A2 Philosophy next year! :frown:
Reply 292
Gahh, I hope I will get a good grade. :P I wanna do A2 Philosophy next year! :frown:

I'm sure you'll be fine, either way you did your best so whatever happens happens, fatalism all the way! (Not sure if you're studying free will and determinism) :wink:
I'm sitting the AS a year early, still in year 11 and doing GCSEs and it seems to be frying my brain so if I can get a C you'll be alright :P
I'm sure you'll be fine, either way you did your best so whatever happens happens, fatalism all the way! (Not sure if you're studying free will and determinism) :wink:
I'm sitting the AS a year early, still in year 11 and doing GCSEs and it seems to be frying my brain so if I can get a C you'll be alright :P

I did Free Will and Determinism + Tolerance for the January exam and I got a U - 29/100 marks. :frown: I'm resitting it and I'm doing the resit this Friday and I must say I've worked much harder for the two exams compared to my work ethic leading up to the January exam. :biggrin:
Original post by EleanorKeats
I'm not sure if someone has already answered your question (I haven't read through the entire thread) but Mill is a classical liberal so his justification is autonomy based.

Does anyone have an predictions for Tolerance or The Value of Art? I did well in January but I found unit 1 much more straight forward.

what is the difference between autonomy based liberalism and neutral based liberalism? i never quite understood that :s
Reply 296
Original post by Onoderas
Hope these are of some use they're from the Lacewing book mostly, I also have some for God and the World if anyone wants them too :smile:

please can you post the God and the world notes?
Reply 297
Does anyone have any predictions for fridays unit 2
knowledge of the external world or God and the world?
Original post by Ronak134
what is the difference between autonomy based liberalism and neutral based liberalism? i never quite understood that :s

Neutrality based liberalism view differs from autonomy-based liberalism (Mill, Locke).
Autonomy-based liberals focus on a conception of ‘the good life’ or ‘the good for man’: this is constituted by liberty, individualism and diversity.
However, some liberals prefer to be neutral concerning conceptions of what constitutes a good life: toleration refers only to the political process through which disagreements are aired and resolved.
The emphasis is on a shared commitment to rational procedures to resolve differences in the political sphere for example, those that occur through religious diversity in the UK this is more important than any conception of what a good life in itself would consist in.

In other words, neutrality based liberals don't care what the 'good life' is and think it's more important to resolve our differences through discussion. Classical liberals believe that we have the right to autonomy (to make all own decisions), without any state interference as we cannot be forced into believing something we don't believe. The only limit is that we shouldn't tolerate violence.

Hope that helps.

Also, I'm definitely a radical.
Original post by stazbowie
hola amigos! can anyone please help me, i have the phil2 exam friday on value of art and the external world.
my teacher predicted this horrible question:
'in the world we see illusions' assess the account sense data gives of what occurs during this phenomenon of perception'.
i know it's very specific, but id rather know.
so anyone know
a. what the bloody hell it means and
b. how one would go about anwering it.

Is this question related to PHIL1 or PHIL2?

You posted it after the PHIL1 exam, so I assume its to do with PHIL2? But sense date relates to PHIL1? I can't see how this question relates to art tbh. :s-smilie: What topic is it? Is it definitely art?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending