Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody please explain how this reaction is propagation
    N2O + O --> N2 + O2

How can it be a propagation reaction if there's just a radical on the reactants side? Isn't it termination?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisshP)
    Can somebody please explain how this reaction is propagation
    N2O + O --> N2 + O2

How can it be a propagation reaction if there's just a radical on the reactants side? Isn't it termination?

Thanks
    It's termination if the reactants are radicals and react to form molecules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    It's termination if the reactants are radicals and react to form molecules.
    So that reaction is termination right since O is a radical on reactants and no radicals form?

ReputationRep:
    So that reaction is termination right since O is a radical on reactants and no radicals form?
    It should be two radicals that react together

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I get it now
    Yeah exactly what Mint says. Just say that the lone pair on N allows the partially charged hydrogen to line up/bond with it

ReputationRep:
    Say if they say describe how hydrogen bonds form. Is this okay

Lone pair on oxygen attracted to hydrogen with a delta + charge.

I don't get what attracts what. Does the oxygen attract hydrogen? Or does the hydrogen attract oxygen? Or does hydrogen attract the lone pair on oxygen? Or what?

Thanks

ReputationRep:

I don't get what attracts what. Does the oxygen attract hydrogen? Or does the hydrogen attract oxygen? Or does hydrogen attract the lone pair on oxygen? Or what?

Thanks
    It's the delta + charge on hydrogen that's strongly attracted to lone pair on O, F, or N

also, this will help clear everything up: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/bonding/hbond.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    It's the delta + charge on hydrogen that's strongly attracted to lone pair on O, F, or N

also, this will help clear everything up: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/bonding/hbond.html
    Oh the hydrogen has a delta + and is attracted to the lone pair on oxygen.

Thanks

Btw it says in the spec that we have to know about batch and continuous production, but it had not come up on past papers. What do they want us to know about it an what even is batch and continuous? Advantages and disadvantages o each method?

Thanks

ReputationRep:

Thanks

Btw it says in the spec that we have to know about batch and continuous production, but it had not come up on past papers. What do they want us to know about it an what even is batch and continuous? Advantages and disadvantages o each method?

Thanks
    It's summed up nicely on page 72 of the CGP revision guide

ReputationRep:

Thanks

Thanks
    oh my god! thanks for reminding me of that I had to go over the chapter on green chemistry. Yep just basic disadvantages and advantages.

ReputationRep:
    oh my god! thanks for reminding me of that I had to go over the chapter on green chemistry. Yep just basic disadvantages and advantages.
    What's on green chemistry chapter, just batch vs continuous?

ReputationRep:
    What's on green chemistry chapter, just batch vs continuous?
    stuff like plant location, costs and efficiency, and waste disposal.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this has tripped anyone else up, but I just did a past paper question that confused me a little.

Normally, the reagents and conditions required for hydrogenation are: Hydrogen, high temperature and pressure and a hot nickel catalyst.

However, the question stated that the reaction was carried about at room temperature. Therefore, a hot nickel catalyst couldn't be used. Instead you have to use platinum.

So for hydrogenation at room temperature you need: Hydrogen and a Platinum catalyst.

At my Sixth Form it wasn't really stressed that this was the case, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else had left it out of their revision

ReputationRep:
    stuff like plant location, costs and efficiency, and waste disposal.
    But there's no past paper questions on that chapter.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah for lab conditions you use a platinum catalyst instead

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they can ask that this year?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen one question on why it's useful to build a new plant near a plant that already exists or something - so stuff on those chapters can come up, but to be honest I wouldn't stress about it because if it does come up it's unlikely to be many marks and it's kind of common sense! I just made very brief notes on those chapters

I would rather drink HCl than do this exam - revision for it seems endless!
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper

Thanks
    It's not just oxygen; it could be nitrogen, oxygen or flourine.

(Original post by ambbs)
    I would rather drink HCl than do this exam - revision for it seems endless!
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    :lolwut:
    Yeah that might have been a slight exaggeration... but this past year has made me absolutely despise chemistry to be honest and I can't wait for this exam to be over - it's the one I've been dreading the most and it's far too soon for my liking!
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ambbs)
    Yeah that might have been a slight exaggeration... but this past year has made me absolutely despise chemistry to be honest and I can't wait for this exam to be over - it's the one I've been dreading the most and it's far too soon for my liking!
    :console:

It is hard, but it will be over very soon now. :yep: And I'm sure you'll do amazingly!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.