Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Let's nail M2 tomorrow! I'm hoping for 100 but need at least 91 UMS to meet my university offer!

Anybody have any last minute tips for me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    u were suppose to help/teach me FP2 over the phone?

ReputationRep:
    Let's nail M2 tomorrow! I'm hoping for 100 but need at least 91 UMS to meet my university offer!

Anybody have any last minute tips for me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For the work-energy equations ones they often give you all the information to work it out in an M1 way - do it both the M2 and the M1 way to check your answers You can always cross out the M1 way after, as obviously it's the M2 way they're looking for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaphod77)
    For the work-energy equations ones they often give you all the information to work it out in an M1 way - do it both the M2 and the M1 way to check your answers You can always cross out the M1 way after, as obviously it's the M2 way they're looking for!
    Can you explain further? What is the M1 way?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by study beats)
    u were suppose to help/teach me FP2 over the phone?
    Huh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    No problem, and good luck tomorrow!
    Thanks good luck to you 2 !!

ReputationRep:
    For centre of mass of any triangle, is the com 1/3rd from its base? Or is that specific only to symmetrical/isosceles triangles?

ReputationRep:
    Huh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    u said
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    But that might take up a lot of time which has a psychological effect on me and tends to make me panic and rush through, is there any way of knowing which side the work done by friction will be on?

Thanks for your time as I appreciate it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can still do it in the M1 way and get all the marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kvohra)
    Can you explain further? What is the M1 way?
    I mean like when they give you the information that a car is moving up a slope, you're given the mass (to use in KE and PE), the resistance (for Work Done), the power (for Force), the initial and final velocities (KE), and the angle the slope's at, and then you're asked to find out distance travelled. Obviously you use Loss in KE = Gain in PE + Work Done (or whatever the equation is for that particular question), but you can also use F=ma to work out acceleration and then use SUVAT, which is helpful to check your answer's right

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, depends if they ask you to use the Work-Energy equations or not.

ReputationRep:
    I mean like when they give you the information that a car is moving up a slope, you're given the mass (to use in KE and PE), the resistance (for Work Done), the power (for Force), the initial and final velocities (KE), and the angle the slope's at, and then you're asked to find out distance travelled. Obviously you use Loss in KE = Gain in PE + Work Done (or whatever the equation is for that particular question), but you can also use F=ma to work out acceleration and then use SUVAT, which is helpful to check your answer's right
    ah ok cheers
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by study beats)
    u said
    Do you need any help with it? If so then why not post the questions in the Mega A level Maths Thread as I tend to be around a lot more on that thread and try my best to help people out, however don't forget I've got 9 exams of my own left so I can't be there to help you out whenever you need me as that's not possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah everyone should be doing that to check answers. Basically you use the work energy principle to find say speed or distance then resolve in the direction plane (if its a particle on a plane) to find a. Then you use suvat to find speed or distance etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Not if it says using the work - energy principle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, depends if they ask you to use the Work-Energy equations or not.
    Fair enough, if they ask to you to use the Work Energy Power principle and you used M1 then yh you'd get no marks

ReputationRep:
    But that might take up a lot of time which has a psychological effect on me and tends to make me panic and rush through, is there any way of knowing which side the work done by friction will be on?

Thanks for your time as I appreciate it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only do the 2nd method after you've done all the questions, you don't want to run out of time! For the energy equations, I always do it as Loss = Gain + WD against Friction. If there's a Power involved then that Work Done goes on the same side as the loss. What I mean by the Loss or Gain is that if it's going down it loses PE, if it's moving up it gains PE, so you sub in the KE or PE appropriate to whether it's lost it or gained it. Not sure I'm making sense... Probably not the best way to think of it, but it's the only way I remember!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exams v__v)
    For centre of mass of any triangle, is the com 1/3rd from its base? Or is that specific only to symmetrical/isosceles triangles?
    As in this image http://images.tutorvista.com/cms/ima...rthocenter.png If you create a line from each node to the centre of the other two nodes (no matter what type of triangle it is) they will meet at the centre and will be 2/3 along every line
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Only do the 2nd method after you've done all the questions, you don't want to run out of time! For the energy equations, I always do it as Loss = Gain + WD against Friction. If there's a Power involved then that Work Done goes on the same side as the loss. What I mean by the Loss or Gain is that if it's going down it loses PE, if it's moving up it gains PE, so you sub in the KE or PE appropriate to whether it's lost it or gained it. Not sure I'm making sense... Probably not the best way to think of it, but it's the only way I remember!
    What marks does this get you? I've resorted to working out the two and seeing a difference to find which side WD goes on, but I realised they won't always give enough information to do it like that :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What marks does this get you? I've resorted to working out the two and seeing a difference to find which side WD goes on, but I realised they won't always give enough information to do it like that :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing well in the papers, so it seems to be going well for me! It's not failed me yet This is why I was saying about checking the M1 way though, it's a way of ensuring you put WD on the right side! But again, only do that if you have time at the end - it's better to get to the end of the paper than get 1 question completely right but not manage 2 easy questions worth loads of marks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.