Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...rinking-health
    This article contains some useful information, especially if the DME happens to be alcohol related.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    So I uploaded these forever ago but I'll chuck them in again since they seem to be quite popular topics that you guys are discussing at the mo. Note that you should try and find up to date statistics if possible as all of these are from a few years ago.

Also, don't be afraid to use the search function in here Threads for past modern studies exams will have so much information and help so have a look about.

As for the DME, I posted this post a while back with just some general advice, but people seemed to find it quite helpful so I'll share it with you guys too.

Hope that helps you guys out a bit!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Ethnic minority vote.doc (14.5 KB, 95 views)
  2. File Type: doc Health and Wealth.doc (51.0 KB, 99 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    Does anyone have any notes/statistics about ethnic minorities' influence on the outcome of elections?
    Hi,
    For Black Americans: Political Influence
    Only 56% of all Black Americans vote, so they do not have great influence. However, Obama was the first president, and therefore that shows influence, as he will help other ethnic minorities begin to vote. The 'Black Caucus' are a congress group, made up of all sorts of Black Americans in the USA, and they make up 20% of the votes needed to pass a bill, which is very very influential. However, there are only 44 Blacks in the House of Representatives, which in comparison to whites is not influential. There are no Blacks in Senate... so no influence there.

For Hispanics
    13.2 million vote out of 50 million of the in the US. Considering they are the largest ethnic minority they have restricted political influence. There are only 30 in the House of Representatives, so there is some but none compared to whites. However, this makes Blacks more influential than Hispanics in this case. Also, there are two Hispanic Senators, this shows influence. There has been a 74% rise in votes since 1990 from Hispanic Americans, this is really important and shows influence.

For Asians and Natives
    These are the least influential because they have the smallest population in the US. They only make up 5% of the whole population, so even if they wanted to they couldn't be that influential. Native Americans only have 1 person in the HOR, and no senators, shows lack of influence. Also 59% of Asians and Natives are democrats and 41% are Republican, so they have a pretty equal outcome when voting and therefore are not influential.

I hope this helped! Turns out I know more than I thought I did

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any notes/statistics about ethnic minorities' influence on the outcome of elections?
    You can also say that in 2012, only 39% of whites voted for Obama - so the result was completely achieved by minorities.

ReputationRep:
    " Proportional rep (PR) systems affect both voter participation and representation" Discuss - How do you answer this, is it just AMS/STV vs FPTP ?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that House of Lords Reform will come up? If it does I'm stuffed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarwalk49)
    " Proportional rep (PR) systems affect both voter participation and representation" Discuss - How do you answer this, is it just AMS/STV vs FPTP ?
    Our teacher said you would just go through it like all the AMS/STV questions, have the paragraphs of Proportionality, voter choice, stability of government it produces and constituency link.

ReputationRep:
    I've got 18 essay plans and I've learned 16, government policies in equalities are the remaining two and the largest two. The SQA are the faces behind the gun for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UMARTIAN)
    I've got 18 essay plans and I've learned 16, government policies in equalities are the remaining two and the largest two. The SQA are the faces behind the gun for me.
    Pretty much the same here, got about 17. Just scared the ones I memorised a few days ago are forgotten aha! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionaforsyth1)
    Hi,
    For Black Americans: Political Influence
    Only 56% of all Black Americans vote, so they do not have great influence. However, Obama was the first president, and therefore that shows influence, as he will help other ethnic minorities begin to vote. The 'Black Caucus' are a congress group, made up of all sorts of Black Americans in the USA, and they make up 20% of the votes needed to pass a bill, which is very very influential. However, there are only 44 Blacks in the House of Representatives, which in comparison to whites is not influential. There are no Blacks in Senate... so no influence there.

For Hispanics
    13.2 million vote out of 50 million of the in the US. Considering they are the largest ethnic minority they have restricted political influence. There are only 30 in the House of Representatives, so there is some but none compared to whites. However, this makes Blacks more influential than Hispanics in this case. Also, there are two Hispanic Senators, this shows influence. There has been a 74% rise in votes since 1990 from Hispanic Americans, this is really important and shows influence.

For Asians and Natives
    These are the least influential because they have the smallest population in the US. They only make up 5% of the whole population, so even if they wanted to they couldn't be that influential. Native Americans only have 1 person in the HOR, and no senators, shows lack of influence. Also 59% of Asians and Natives are democrats and 41% are Republican, so they have a pretty equal outcome when voting and therefore are not influential.

I hope this helped! Turns out I know more than I thought I did
    This has helped immensely. Thank you so so much!

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher said you would just go through it like all the AMS/STV questions, have the paragraphs of Proportionality, voter choice, stability of government it produces and constituency link.
    Thanks man !!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think that House of Lords Reform will come up? If it does I'm stuffed.
    This is what I am worried about as it is topical with Nick Clegg

ReputationRep:
    OK so having looked at everything ive got I have: A1 - Devolution, Success/Failures of SP and arguments for and against the need for representation. A4 - AMS v FPTP and STV v FPTP and to what extent the media influence elections in the UK Section B - Lifestyle choices limiting good health, Factors limiting good health more than others and the Collectivist/Individualist argument. For C9 I have ethnic minoritis influencing election results and the American Dream and for C11 I have UNOs/NGOs,factors effecting development and aid. Still a few things I have to do but that's ok with 5 full days left

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if this is valid point I could make if debating the individualist vs collectivist approach to healthcare.
    If arguing for decreased governmental intervention, could I state that, for example, because last year 90% of pensioners who received a Winter Fuel Payment were not actually in fuel poverty, this undermines the founding principles of the welfare state which was intended solely as a "safety net", not as a nanny state? Additionally, to include a relevant, up to date example I would discuss Ian Duncan-Smith's recent proposal that the elderly who do not need assistance ought to hand it back.

ReputationRep:
    Just did a timed essay on government measures to reduce gender inequalities. I managed to finish within the time limit, but I only managed to mention three factors: lone parents, pay gap and the glass ceiling. Are those enough or do I need to mention more? Also, my essay was roughly 2 1/2 sides - is that an adequate length?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grozdova.)
    Just did a timed essay on government measures to reduce gender inequalities. I managed to finish within the time limit, but I only managed to mention three factors: lone parents, pay gap and the glass ceiling. Are those enough or do I need to mention more? Also, my essay was roughly 2 1/2 sides - is that an adequate length?
    Yes, I think it is enough, I done a Health inequalities essay because we didn't cover gender, and I only wrote two sides and I got 13, so I'm sure it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Not meaning to scare anyone but be prepared for pressure groups and House of Lords' role in the government/against - Central government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For anyone interested, this article is full of stats and is up to date. It's about the 2012 elections in USA and has all the statistics for the Hispanic vote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ead-polls.html

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if this is valid point I could make if debating the individualist vs collectivist approach to healthcare.
    If arguing for decreased governmental intervention, could I state that, for example, because last year 90% of pensioners who received a Winter Fuel Payment were not actually in fuel poverty, this undermines the founding principles of the welfare state which was intended solely as a "safety net", not as a nanny state? Additionally, to include a relevant, up to date example I would discuss Ian Duncan-Smith's recent proposal that the elderly who do not need assistance ought to hand it back.
    Yeah that's a good example, I was going to use it for effectiveness of govt policies as well

I just added today's story about Buckfast being linked to crime to my notes

ReputationRep:
    For Decision Making in Central Govt it seems most people think it will be Parliament or Pressure Groups once again. They've asked these two questions for the past few years, what are the chances of a Cabinet or Civil Service question coming up?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.