Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainiis)
    Can I ask you which kind of job do you have, and how much does it boost your weekly money? Do you advice me to get one?
    I work at McDonalds. It's not great but it's a job and is easy to transfer with when going to uni.
    I've worked in shops like Next before but I find you get a lot less hours.. I believe shops like that do transfers too though.
    It boosts my money a lot, I get payed every 2 weeks which is great and even if I just work 1 shift each weekend I'll still have about £80 extra for food etc. alongside my savings.

I would recommend it.. but for me I kind of have no choice because I get such a little loan.

(Original post by gemmatovey)
    Ouch! Will you be able to get a transfer for your job?
    I'm saving from my job too... just in case I can't transfer!
    Hopefully! Like I said above.
    It's just a pain having to save all your wages... but I guess we're being welcomed to the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I see you were lucky!! I agree with that method, if someone is skilled enough to deal with people, it does not matter if they have experience or not; Some time must be the first time Btw which is the best way to find a job? Should I go to my SU, or by Internet...
    Exactly! You have to start off somewhere
    The internet is probably the best place...either by using job searching websites, or by visiting company websites. They usually have a 'careers' or 'jobs' section and if there's a vacancy close to where you live, you can apply there and then that's how I did it for my job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterscones)
    I work at McDonalds. It's not great but it's a job and is easy to transfer with when going to uni.

It's just a pain having to save all your wages... but I guess we're being welcomed to the real world.
    Okay! Thanks! Now i've definitely made up my mind about getting a job next year. What did you have to do to apply and how many hours do you normally do per week?

ReputationRep:
    Okay! Thanks! Now i've definitely made up my mind about getting a job next year. What did you have to do to apply and how many hours do you normally do per week?
    I don't think it will be too much of a work load, I think you have a bit more spare time at uni especially in the first year.
    Because I'm at sixth form I just work around 8 hours on a Saturday or Sunday (sometimes both days). Over the Easter holidays I worked full time 40 hours. D: That was tough but worth the money.
    Work hard now and reap the rewards later. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I've worked in shops like Next before but I find you get a lot less hours.. I believe shops like that do transfers too though.
    It boosts my money a lot, I get payed every 2 weeks which is great and even if I just work 1 shift each weekend I'll still have about £80 extra for food etc. alongside my savings.

I would recommend it.. but for me I kind of have no choice because I get such a little loan.

Il also be transferring to another McDonald's! 3 more years on top of the 3 il have already done makes me want to cry haha. But there's so much benefits to it like how flexible it is with hours. And il get my private healthcare from them in August!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in quite a fortunate position as it looks like I'm going to get my accomodation totally or mostly waived for the first year. Also studying in London and being in a low bracket for household income means I'm gonna get a fairly hefty amount of maintenance loan/grant so I'm probably going to have something ridiculous like £200-250/week for the second two terms if everything goes as planned O.o

I see a lot of people saying that they're struggling because their parents earn more and so they get less loan and that sucks :/ it's a tricky system if your parents aren't supporting you. For me, my parents genuinely can't support me financially and so it's worked out quite well, but it's still a lot more money than I'm probably going to need >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Im paying 6080 for accommodation a year....

the annoying thing about living in london, id say ill have to live of 50 quid a week. Full maintence grant and loan right there lol . Hopefully can get a job
    I know what you, at that stage it is you have to get a job. Living in London can be a pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmatovey)
    Ouch! I take it that your parents have an income that means you don't get a great loan?

effectively yes, but it cause accommodation is so expensive in Brighton as well

ReputationRep:
    Same here: I am starting uni in September. My problem is that I am not a drinker, and I don't want to be left out.
    What I don't know is whether I can pay the £5 entry and then not buy any drink, or just pay for a soft drink.
    Is it okay if you pay entry and then don't buy anything? :confused:
    Yeah, remember most drinkers do that because they don't want to pay a huge amount for club drink prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioIz)
    I'm in quite a fortunate position as it looks like I'm going to get my accomodation totally or mostly waived for the first year. Also studying in London and being in a low bracket for household income means I'm gonna get a fairly hefty amount of maintenance loan/grant so I'm probably going to have something ridiculous like £200-250/week for the second two terms if everything goes as planned O.o

I see a lot of people saying that they're struggling because their parents earn more and so they get less loan and that sucks :/ it's a tricky system if your parents aren't supporting you. For me, my parents genuinely can't support me financially and so it's worked out quite well, but it's still a lot more money than I'm probably going to need >.<
    Remember you won't get your accommodation waived in later years so it would be wise if you saved most of that £200ish...

ReputationRep:
    about £48 pounds for food and everything else

one of my friends worked out that after paying for his accommodation he'd have minus £3 to live off a week.....

ReputationRep:
    When I lived in Student Accomodation, I was on minus £10 a week! But at the end of Trimester 1, I freed myself from my uni tenancy and went private. Now I'm on £55 a week.

Sometimes I forget that the top priority of universities are profit. They're robbing us blind with overpriced accomodation. Having done both student and private letting, there's no advantage to uni's accomodation at all. Don't waste your money, it isn't worth it at all...

ReputationRep:
    Including student finance, and assuming I get my first choice of accommodation, I should be living on £98 per week, not including accommodation costs.

However, if I get my second choice, which is more likely, I'll probably be living off £40 or so.

I think I'm going to have to get a job :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    Remember you won't get your accommodation waived in later years so it would be wise if you saved most of that £200ish...
    Yeah of course, particularly as I'll be living in London and also doing a year abroad in my third year I'll still be saving as much as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyab)
    Il also be transferring to another McDonald's! 3 more years on top of the 3 il have already done makes me want to cry haha. But there's so much benefits to it like how flexible it is with hours. And il get my private healthcare from them in August!
    Aw great! I will have to let mine know ASAP. I know exactly how you feel.. the actual work is horrible but the benefits are just too good for now.
    I agree, the hours are great! Except if you can't work a shift you have to get some one else to cover it.. The shift manager refuses to organise cover.
    Private healthcare?:eek: Wow. I never knew about that!

ReputationRep:
    Aw great! I will have to let mine know ASAP. I know exactly how you feel.. the actual work is horrible but the benefits are just too good for now.
    I agree, the hours are great! Except if you can't work a shift you have to get some one else to cover it.. The shift manager refuses to organise cover.
    Private healthcare?:eek: Wow. I never knew about that!
    Our managers are alright with shift swapping an things as long as we can both work each others areas and we let whoevers in that day know.
    Yeah after three years you get private healthcare benefits the longer you've been there the better it gets I think x

ReputationRep:
    WELL, accommodation will cost a BOMB in London, like over 6 grand!

I need to pay my phone bill, clothes and travel, which would leave me with (if I am lucky) 25 quid a week for food AND going out, I gotta get saving right now!

ReputationRep:
    I will have £60 a week excluding food because I have gone for catered accommodation

Oh I forgot the core grant the university is offering.. I will have £134 a week!! Too much! arghg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioIz)

My parents are financially supporting me and I'll still only have like £80-90 a week (with the cheaper end accommodation too, no en-suites for me sigh)I think though, it can work out as quite good for your independence if you're in a position like mine, because you're kinda forced to budget and get a job and I think that'll help me. Of course, if your parents can't support you enough (seriously, forking out like £2000 a year is going to be difficult even if they earn a decent amount bc like mine get child benefit for me and they obv wont get that, and my stupid sister costs them a fortune grr) and your uni isn't in a city, then I can see why that would be hard :/ But if you're in a city then you can get a job and have some financial independence from them, which is a good...it's like cruel love!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hafzaaa)
    WELL, accommodation will cost a BOMB in London, like over 6 grand!

I need to pay my phone bill, clothes and travel, which would leave me with (if I am lucky) 25 quid a week for food AND going out, I gotta get saving right now!
    If you're in London though it should be alright for part time jobs but wow that's crazy low.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.