Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aay)
    My essay was like 5 lines cos of time, what i did mention though was proximal convuluted tubules and their function, loop of henle descending and ascending etc and how proteins etc cannot pass through the glomerulus but i wont get any marks i know it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's pretty much what I mentioned, I just said water was reabsorbed in the PCT, descending limb and U bend. Salt in the Ascending limb and stuff like that and that Glucose was the first thing to be reabsorped. If I get a mark I'll be happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovePeaceChocolate)
    Well I wasn't sure, I just kept talking about what was reabsorbed where and a little of filtration. I kept talking about the blood flowing through the kidney and what was reabsorbed at what part. The section 2 essays were awful!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well that sounds better than what I wrote anyway! haha. Yeah I know, I was happy with the mieosis one as I thought that would come up but other than that the whole paper what ridiculous. Fingers crossed I've scraped a B but I feel like that's unlikely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmmmmmmm)
    Well that sounds better than what I wrote anyway! haha. Yeah I know, I was happy with the mieosis one as I thought that would come up but other than that the whole paper what ridiculous. Fingers crossed I've scraped a B but I feel like that's unlikely
    I honestly can't do meiosis to save my life!! I didn't mind the plasma membrane essay but liver and kidney are just horrible in an essay. What did you write for the question about the % of Y chromosomes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I honestly can't do meiosis to save my life!! I didn't mind the plasma membrane essay but liver and kidney are just horrible in an essay. What did you write for the question about the % of Y chromosomes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only knew it because I revised it like mad on the day of the exam, so it was luck for me! I know, I really didn't expect unit 2 to come up in the essays! I wrote 0% for the mother cell and 50% for the other one... I just guessed, and I am 100% sure I'm wrong haha

ReputationRep:
    I only knew it because I revised it like mad on the day of the exam, so it was luck for me! I know, I really didn't expect unit 2 to come up in the essays! I wrote 0% for the mother cell and 50% for the other one... I just guessed, and I am 100% sure I'm wrong haha
    Meiosis is definitely my downfall! I love biology but the unit 2 essays are ridiculous. I said 100 and the 50 but my biology teacher said she wasn't sure if that was right cause it was a strangely worded question... Bloody SQA! There was so much unit 3 in that exam I definitely hope the pass mark is lowered.

ReputationRep:
    For meiosis I wrote:

First division:
    DNA replication occurs and chromosomes find their homologous pairs. These are joined at points called chiasmata. The homologous pairs then line up at the centre of the cell randomly. This is called random assortment. Crossing over of DNA also occurs here. Spindle fibres attach to each of the homologous pairs pulling chromosomes to each pole. The cell membrane then starts to fold in and 2 new haploid cells are formed.

Second division:
    The chromosomes line up at the centre of the cell once more. Spindle fibres attach and pull each chomatid to opposite poles of the cell. 2 new cells are formed. Overall 4 new cells are formed.

Importance:
    Meiosis is needed to produce sperm and egg cells. The second division during meiosis ensures that only 23 chromosomes are present in each sperm and egg cell. This is because at fertilisation a sperm and egg cell join together giving the normal 46 chromosomes a cell needs.

There was a diagram to demonstrate the 4 new cells and to demonstate crossing over.

^ roughly that, anyone like to advise or compare?

ReputationRep:
    Meiosis is definitely my downfall! I love biology but the unit 2 essays are ridiculous. I said 100 and the 50 but my biology teacher said she wasn't sure if that was right cause it was a strangely worded question... Bloody SQA! There was so much unit 3 in that exam I definitely hope the pass mark is lowered.
    Yeah. I know, I'm pretty sure it will since so many people have apparently found it hard. Here's hoping anyway!

ReputationRep:
    My teacher showed me her answers, wasn't allowed to take a copy but I can remember most of section b is you want to check any? I personally found the paper really tough!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I know, I'm pretty sure it will since so many people have apparently found it hard. Here's hoping anyway!
    Some questions were really straightforward but I need an A so here's hoping it's lowered!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently regarding the Sperm Mother Cell and Y chromosomes I wrote 100 % and 50 % for the other. BUT one of my friend wrote 50% and 25%??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottish__girl)
    My teacher showed me her answers, wasn't allowed to take a copy but I can remember most of section b is you want to check any? I personally found the paper really tough!
    Do you remember many of the calculation answers? Problem solving?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsGrand131415)
    Apparently regarding the Sperm Mother Cell and Y chromosomes I wrote 100 % and 50 % for the other. BUT one of my friend wrote 50% and 25%??
    Oh really? That's rubbish everyone I know has put 100 and then 50...

ReputationRep:
    For the chance of the daughter having the condition or whatever it was 0% as her father didn't carry the recessive gene so couldn't be passed to her. It was 0.3 for one about heart rate but I had put 0.8 the table to fill in the % was 100% and 50%. I can't remember all the calculation questions but if you say one I might remember the answer!

ReputationRep:
    For the chance of the daughter having the condition or whatever it was 0% as her father didn't carry the recessive gene so couldn't be passed to her. It was 0.3 for one about heart rate but I had put 0.8 the table to fill in the % was 100% and 50%. I can't remember all the calculation questions but if you say one I might remember the answer!
    Woo got something right! I got all of them, ill take a look through this thread and see if any spring to mind! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    x

there was a 3 marker question- it was saying something about he exercises and his heart rate increases, talk about nervous system and how it increases volume of blood? And was it 75bpm for his rate?

ReputationRep:
    You had to talk about the sympathetic nerve speeding up the heart, how this is part of the autonomic nervous system and you had to mention adrenaline (or another one that affects the heart) and how this also speeds it up think I might have got 2/3 for this! Yeah, 75bpm is right!

ReputationRep:
    And once you said about the heart speeding up you were just to say something about this means more blood would be pumped out, so larger volume x

ReputationRep:
    You had to talk about the sympathetic nerve speeding up the heart, how this is part of the autonomic nervous system and you had to mention adrenaline (or another one that affects the heart) and how this also speeds it up think I might have got 2/3 for this! Yeah, 75bpm is right!
    I might actually get 2 out of 3 here too, mentioned autonomic, sympathetic, and the volume of blood etc- not sure if i talked about adrenaline though.

Woo

See for the new village one, the impacts and stuff? + the guitar playing one- remember anything ?

Remember to quote me so i get a notification
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    This sounds about right to me.

When you exercise, there is increased activity of the sympathetic nervous system - this causes increased release of noradrenaline at the beta-1 receptors of the cardiac tissue, and that leads to an increase in heart rate and cardiac contractility (which increases stroke volume), thereby vastly increasing cardiac output.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aay)
    I might actually get 2 out of 3 here too, mentioned autonomic, sympathetic, and the volume of blood etc- not sure if i talked about adrenaline though.

Woo

See for the new village one, the impacts and stuff? + the guitar playing one- remember anything ?

Remember to quote me so i get a notification
    Sorry, just new to this! Well done there was a couple of answers for the village one, the most obvious was deforestation either for farmland or to build more houses. The next part if that question was about the river I think? It was that it would be more polluted/ more sewage. The methane part was to do with cows/ cattle grazing. Can't remember the start if the guitar one but the girl listening to the music was generalisation then the next part was deindividuation as she was lost her personal identity within the group

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.