Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2013 Monaco F1 Grand Prix thread! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    I just hope Ladbrokes don't take the 120 quid I won back
    If they've paid out then the money is yours no matter what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else here agree Perez was driving stupid today, and got what he deserved? Alonso shouldn't have had to give the place back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZRO)
    Anyone else here agree Perez was driving stupid today, and got what he deserved? Alonso shouldn't have had to give the place back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was good in the sense that at least he's having a go in Monaco and giving us some action. However his moves basically put the guys in front in a position where they have to decide whether to crash or not.

But I do think he's been a bad signing for McLaren. They need to get the Hulk in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZRO)
    Well, people will never be able to win, will they? If they just coast around attempting nothing at Monaco fans will moan about a lack of overtaking and if they do what Perez did, they'll be ridiculed for driving like a fool.

I enjoyed it. It was never particularly dangerous as he was always passing after both cars had slowed right down and he was doing at a turn where there is room to run off the track if need be.

He got what he deserved for all the moves be they passes or a coming together. The last move was really stupid because there was no room and he was doing it from too far back. He lived by the sword an died by the sword and I'd much rather see that, particularly at Monaco, regardless of whether it is stupid or not.

ReputationRep:
    Raikonnen said Perez should be punched in the face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Well, people will never be able to win, will they? If they just coast around attempting nothing at Monaco fans will moan about a lack of overtaking and if they do what Perez did, they'll be ridiculed for driving like a fool.

I enjoyed it. It was never particularly dangerous as he was always passing after both cars had slowed right down and he was doing at a turn where there is room to run off the track if need be.

He got what he deserved for all the moves be they passes or a coming together. The last move was really stupid because there was no room and he was doing it from too far back. He lived by the sword an died by the sword and I'd much rather see that, particularly at Monaco, regardless of whether it is stupid or not.
    as a driver you have to learn when to quit though, it's something people like Lewis learnt, not every gap is big enough to go for, Alonso or Kimi wouldn't have gone for that gap and nor would Lewis anymore, they have the experience to know a lost cause when they see it, I mean, hopefully Perez learns that in time, but it is something the more experienced guys know.

Grosjean for me is just awful, he's quick but he has the judgment of a blind badger on the track, crashing once or twice is a bad weekend at Monaco, crashing four or five times? that's just bad driving. and it's not the first race or time either, he's consistently shown in F1 that he doesn't know how to judge gaps or braking when around other cars in particular, that's a dangerous kind of driver to have in the field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    Grosjean for me is just awful, he's quick but he has the judgment of a blind badger on the track, crashing once or twice is a bad weekend at Monaco, crashing four or five times? that's just bad driving. and it's not the first race or time either, he's consistently shown in F1 that he doesn't know how to judge gaps or braking when around other cars in particular, that's a dangerous kind of driver to have in the field.
    It's his party trick really.

Here's yet another one of his antics at Monaco from a few years ago

On an empty track he's quick but a complete shambles in race conditions. A hazard to himself but more importantly to other drivers.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Lotus are in a bit of money trouble: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns25523....randprixdotcom Posted an $86 million loss for 2012. Can Lib confirm/deny/add to this?

BBC highlights sucked, completely missed Kimi's last two laps, Button's move on Perez, Chilton getting up to 14th/15th and a few other parts.

I'd put the Maldonado crash as a racing incident, whilst Chilton did move back across slightly, Maldonado wasn't up against the wall. Grosjean...no need to say any more to what has already been said. Massa's accident is a bit confusing, ride height/debris problem maybe? Perez, its good he was overtaking, but Kimi didn't turn in on him, he made one move and the "gap" closed at a continuous rate until it was too small, Perez's fault IMO.

Thought it wasn't a very good race anyway. Tyres were a joke, driving 2-3 seconds off the pace to conserve them is just ridiculous for what in effect should be a sprint race. Formula 1 races are not endurance races. Bring back refuelling so the cars won't be so heavy and reduce aero more.

Lotus and Force India are saying they were not invited to the Pirelli test. Suggestions that Hankook will be in next year. Either way, one team having a 1000km tyre test with current car and drivers is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Apparently Lotus are in a bit of money trouble: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns25523....randprixdotcom Posted an $86 million loss for 2012. Can Lib confirm/deny/add to this?

BBC highlights sucked, completely missed Kimi's last two laps, Button's move on Perez, Chilton getting up to 14th/15th and a few other parts.

I'd put the Maldonado crash as a racing incident, whilst Chilton did move back across slightly, Maldonado wasn't up against the wall. Grosjean...no need to say any more to what has already been said. Massa's accident is a bit confusing, ride height/debris problem maybe? Perez, its good he was overtaking, but Kimi didn't turn in on him, he made one move and the "gap" closed at a continuous rate until it was too small, Perez's fault IMO.

Thought it wasn't a very good race anyway. Tyres were a joke, driving 2-3 seconds off the pace to conserve them is just ridiculous for what in effect should be a sprint race. Formula 1 races are not endurance races. Bring back refuelling so the cars won't be so heavy and reduce aero more.

Lotus and Force India are saying they were not invited to the Pirelli test. Suggestions that Hankook will be in next year. Either way, one team having a 1000km tyre test with current car and drivers is absurd.
    It's just not looking good for Lotus at the moment. First Allison left, and apparently his decision came about after other senior members were let go. Now this huge financial loss, and with the possibility of Kimi leaving to Red Bull, Genii Capital may just sell the team off. It is a private equity company in the end, and it just cares about the numbers, $86m loss is not an asset they'd want to keep in their portfolio.

Pirelli most likely won't be here next year, and most certainly not after they get a hefty fine from the FIA for breaking the rules with this test.

Agree with you in that the race was rubbish. I know Monaco has always been Monaco, but in past years even without any overtaking it was fun to watch the cars at full speed, 100% on the limit, twitching about and the drivers narrowly missing the barriers. It was a spectacle in that sense. Now it's still no overtaking and a slow traffic jam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc Fiorano)
    It's just not looking good for Lotus at the moment. First Allison left, and apparently his decision came about after other senior members were let go. Now this huge financial loss, and with the possibility of Kimi leaving to Red Bull, Genii Capital may just sell the team off. It is a private equity company in the end, and it just cares about the numbers, $86m loss is not an asset they'd want to keep in their portfolio.

Pirelli most likely won't be here next year, and most certainly not after they get a hefty fine from the FIA for breaking the rules with this test.

Agree with you in that the race was rubbish. I know Monaco has always been Monaco, but in past years even without any overtaking it was fun to watch the cars at full speed, 100% on the limit, twitching about and the drivers narrowly missing the barriers. It was a spectacle in that sense. Now it's still no overtaking and a slow traffic jam.
    The FIA can't fine Pirelli as they are an outside company, they haven't signed up like the teams have. The only punishment is not renewing the contract. Which seems almost inevitable now. What I don't understand is why they couldn't test the tyres using a GP2 car, or an old F1 car, plenty of old Toyota's around, they even own a HRT car don't they (although maybe that isn't the best car to use for testing )

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Pirelli asked Merc for a representative car, so if Merc gave the current car then that's their fault, not Pirelli's.

There's more detail here:
    http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/05/26/p...t-controversy/

ReputationRep:
    Not surprised Lotus are posting a loss. All those parts that Grosjean goes through can't be cheap and with Raikonnen refusing to do PR stuff, sponsorship is definitely an issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Like_A_G6)
    Not surprised Lotus are posting a loss. All those parts that Grosjean goes through can't be cheap and with Raikonnen refusing to do PR stuff, sponsorship is definitely an issue
    surely a better question is how they manage to post a loss with all the money they get from having that crash happy loon Grosjean in their team?

if they are losing money anyway I would sack him and put someone like Kobayashi or Kovalinen in the car.

ReputationRep:
    Raikkonen finishes every race with the car mostly intact, grosjean crashes all over the place and goes through so many wings, chassis etc, he's a huge financial burden on lotus and needs to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nakz_)
    Raikkonen finishes every race with the car mostly intact, grosjean crashes all over the place and goes through so many wings, chassis etc, he's a huge financial burden on lotus and needs to go
    It's particularly weird that they've posted a loss when they would have had more revenue from their F1 performances than past years since last year went so well.

They could have some other expenses though like the new simulator and other upgrades to the factory we may not have heard about.

ReputationRep:
    Schumi. Mercedes F1. Nordschleife.

ReputationRep:
    Bottas doesn't believe in reverse gear at Monaco...

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by dhr90)

Lmfao, this is going in my sig when I'm at my pc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)

Hahahaha lol repped

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.