Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jehearo)
    Shouldn't the outlier be 14?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I put 2 crosses at the front :O
    I dont know if it is right?

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna ask this again haha. I put the PROBABILITIES in the Venn diagram instead of the actual number of workers, would I get any marks? The probabilities were all correct btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freddy-Francis)
    for 1 f. to find the difference in temperature rite?

I put my final answer as -7.5. will i still get the 2marks ?
    The mark scheme usually accepts ± answer.

so ±7.5 should be accepted, providing you wrote showed correct method.

ReputationRep:
    What happens if I put two solutions, one was correct, but I crossed it out? Method marks only?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I spent ages on first question and rushed the end questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE-help)
    I'm gonna ask this again haha. I put the PROBABILITIES in the Venn diagram instead of the actual number of workers, would I get any marks? The probabilities were all correct btw.
    On the Jan 2012 S1 paper, for a Venn diagram question, they say the following in the mark scheme:

"All values/100 or equivalent fractions award accuracy marks."

Obviously in the case of this question, it would be 33/200 etc.

so you should get all the marks, unless they decide to be strict and wipe of the accuracy marks.

ReputationRep:
    I put 2 crosses at the front :O
    I dont know if it is right?
    There were only 2 outliers, 14 and 90.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graham981)
    Yeh two outliers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Then I am expecting 50 - 56,
    If i am lucky a B rite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graham981)
    so i put 14 and 1 more extra with 90.
    Does that mean i get 4 marks? i did everything else rite on the box plot?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Yeah, with harsh marking on myself I gave myself 69 out of 75.

Couple of Questions:

If on the Venn Diagram Question, I didn't write the 0s (just left the bits with nothing blank), but I put all the other probabilities, how many marks would I get out of 4 for that question?

For the product moment coefficient thing if I said 'p =' rather than 'r =' would I still get the marks?

For the comparison of box plots, I said a few things. I said the median of the boys is greater than the girls, I gave numbers, I said the interquartile range was greater for the boys, I said what they were. I said they both have a positive skew. Would I get 2 out of 2 for this question?

For the box plot question, I put my whiskers on my highest value that wasn't an outlier and my lowest value that wasn't an outlier, this is an accepted variation isn't it?

Finally, this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but would they accept for that question which asked 'Why is the mean and s.d. not suitable', my answer, which said
    "Not suitable because the mid-point has to be used which is not as accurate as interpolation - the standard deviation would also not be accurate due to the innaccurate mean".

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    For the venn diagram I put the right values in but I left only Bblank instead of writing 0. Will i lose a mark for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaiPhone)
    Anyone help? If I used 1490000 and 22400 instead of 1491222.222 and 22408.888 to work out the product moment correlation coefficient and the regression line - how many marks have I thrown away?
    I believe it is perfectly fine, because say you used the original values you would get :

r=(-22,408.888…)/√(1,491,222.2…x 371.56) = -0.951994

If you round this value to 3s.f., you get -0.952

which would be the same answer you get if you used the values rounded to 3s.f.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by must try harder.)

Got a bit stuck on the Venn diagram question. I figured that if the event B was that an employee takes the bus to work, B would be a subset of each three circles

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did this, would that have definitely been wrong?
    Did the three circles as mutually exclusive.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Venn Diagram Question Solution.png
Views: 325
Size:  5.3 KBWould this gain any marks for the Venn Diagram question? Anyone else get this?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellyesa)
    Hi,

Yeah, with harsh marking on myself I gave myself 69 out of 75.

Couple of Questions:

If on the Venn Diagram Question, I didn't write the 0s (just left the bits with nothing blank), but I put all the other probabilities, how many marks would I get out of 4 for that question?

For the product moment coefficient thing if I said 'p =' rather than 'r =' would I still get the marks?

For the comparison of box plots, I said a few things. I said the median of the boys is greater than the girls, I gave numbers, I said the interquartile range was greater for the boys, I said what they were. I said they both have a positive skew. Would I get 2 out of 2 for this question?

For the box plot question, I put my whiskers on my highest value that wasn't an outlier and my lowest value that wasn't an outlier, this is an accepted variation isn't it?

Finally, this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but would they accept for that question which asked 'Why is the mean and s.d. not suitable', my answer, which said
    "Not suitable because the mid-point has to be used which is not as accurate as interpolation - the standard deviation would also not be accurate due to the innaccurate mean".

Thanks!
    You are likely to lose at least 1 mark for leaving blanks rather than writing "0".

for writing p= instead of r=, it is likely to depend on how strict they mark you, but since there is no other variable abbreviated "p", you should get the marks.

For the box plot question, I wrote the same 1st two points, and I think you should get 2/2 unless you wrote something which contradicts your statements.

However, I don't think you are likely to get the question regarding unsuitability of mean & stan. dev., due to incorrect use of the term interpolation, since interpolation & extrapolation regards to reliability of estimates, rather than accuracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olly2304)
    Name:  Venn Diagram Question Solution.png
Views: 325
Size:  5.3 KBWould this gain any marks for the Venn Diagram question? Anyone else get this?
    Thanks
    I did this too! Haha, i thought i was the only one. Surely it is still right?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this!
    Lost a few silly marks but nothing too bad. I agree about the timing though, it was the slowest i've ever completed an S1 paper before!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undisclosed 15)
    For the venn diagram I put the right values in but I left only Bblank instead of writing 0. Will i lose a mark for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are likely to, yes.

ReputationRep:
    so i put 14 and 1 more extra with 90.
    Does that mean i get 4 marks? i did everything else rite on the box plot?
    Assuming you marked the outliers in the correct place, then yes, 4/4.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.