Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lp386)
    Assuming you're talking about the September events, I don't think most people bother. Up to you whether you think it'll be beneficial or something you'd enjoy, but most people just come in October and start meeting people during Freshers Week.
    I mean my friends at other unis are having to buy tickets for events during freshers weeks, and I was wondering if it's similar at Cambridge?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by catface1994)
    I mean my friends at other unis are having to buy tickets for events during freshers weeks, and I was wondering if it's similar at Cambridge?
    Most stuff will be in college and you won't have to pay or buy tickets for it. Depending on your college, there might be "organised"* trips to clubs and you'll have to buy tickets for those, but you can make a decision when you get there on that. If you're inclined towards clubbing, most people who are similarly inclined will probably go to the first couple.

*I'm using this term very loosely here, both in the sense that you basically just go to the club as a group and in the sense that it's by no means compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    Back to the dinner suit discussion: does it HAVE to be black and white?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliswe)
    Back to the dinner suit discussion: does it HAVE to be black and white?
    What other colour would a dinner suit be? (A dinner suit is a tuxedo.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I see, had to google the difference between a suit and a tuxedo :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    Right, on the Ryder & Amies website there is a gown for each college: does this mean I must wear the college gown? The Pembroke one looks like a bin bag with holes in it, whereas the Corpus one looks cool.
    They all look the same to me. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ASNC at Newnham here I come, whoop whoop !

ReputationRep:
    You can get white ones, but that would be pretty hard to pull off haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Um random question, but does anyone know if it's necessary to buy a mini-fridge? I really don't want to get one, because they're not cheap, but my admittedly somewhat paranoid family is convinced my food will get nicked if I don't... I don't need one, do I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snuffbox)
    Um random question, but does anyone know if it's necessary to buy a mini-fridge? I really don't want to get one, because they're not cheap, but my admittedly somewhat paranoid family is convinced my food will get nicked if I don't... I don't need one, do I?
    It might depend on the college, but I read today that at Emma, they provide a minifridge per room (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zmai)
    It might depend on the college, but I read today that at Emma, they provide a minifridge per room (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same for Kings

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Snuffbox)
    If colleges don't provide them, they tend not to allow them. In my experience food theft is rare.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I need opinions, help!

For the last six weeks I've worked as an office assistant 4 days a week as well as at the library for 1 or 2 days a week. My contract at the office finishes this week, but they want me to carry on until the end of September. But I start at Cambridge in the first week of October! Should I stay to earn more money for uni, or leave so I have more time to pack and relax before the new busy term?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Natalie21)
    I need opinions, help!

For the last six weeks I've worked as an office assistant 4 days a week as well as at the library for 1 or 2 days a week. My contract at the office finishes this week, but they want me to carry on until the end of September. But I start at Cambridge in the first week of October! Should I stay to earn more money for uni, or leave so I have more time to pack and relax before the new busy term?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's a number of issues in this - how much do you need the money? And just how tired is this making you?

And is there a compromise solution - could you perhaps do two or three more weeks? I think there's a balance to be struck - you don't want to go in completely exhausted, obviously, but spending a month doing very little might mean you struggle to work back up to doing something so intense (I can sympathise - I've done very little for three months and I start my graduate job tomorrow!)

Personally, I worked pretty much full time (usually 5 days a week) in retail until about two weeks beforehand, but I did want to take some time off before moving. But only you know what would work for you.

ReputationRep:
    So are we meant to be getting undergraduate gowns?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lieseldante)
    So are we meant to be getting undergraduate gowns?
    Yes. Your college will often sell them directly, though you might want to check out the other shops in Cambridge to see if the price is cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    White. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lp386)
    Yes. Your college will often sell them directly, though you might want to check out the other shops in Cambridge to see if the price is cheaper.
    Do you know if they sell them in different sizes? The one website I've been on says they come in one size, and being the tiny person I am, that worries me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by lieseldante)
    Do you know if they sell them in different sizes? The one website I've been on says they come in one size, and being the tiny person I am, that worries me.
    Panic not - they do come in one size, but since everyone's wearing the same gown, it doesn't really prove to be a problem. (If it's anything like the Catz gown, go to A.E. Clothier on Pembroke St, because theirs come up significantly smaller compared to the others - or at least mine did. Ended up swapping it with someone who was also quite tiny so that our graduation photos looked a bit more normal...)

ReputationRep:
    Noooo I can't do Maths B. It'd require me to get from Bene't Street to the Chemistry Department in an infinitesimally small amount of time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.