Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I went from a C in history (AS) to getting straight A*'s in my A2 coursework and exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)
    I went from a C in history (AS) to getting straight A*'s in my A2 coursework and exam
    So you got A* overall? Did you retake any AS units?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxrebeccabexixx)
    Last year I did pretty bad in my AS considering i was predicted all As. i ended up with ABD. the B in Chemistry which i was devastated with since i wanted to do it at uni, and a D in physics which i needed to get into uni!.

so in year 13 I retook both exams in chemistry and physics. if your doing sciences, year 12 topics become a piece of cake in year 13! year 13 topics build on what you learnt in year 12! so retaking year 12 science exams is highly recommended, even if you got a B because you're bound to get so much higher in a retake after you've learnt the year 13 stuff.

In the end I achieves AAA and now off to study chemistry!
    I got the exact same results as you for AS! However, in different subjects I'm just wondering, what did you get as your predicted grades, and what do you think helped you with getting the offers from universities as I'm really worried that my AS grades will stop me from getting offers when I know I can achieve AAA next year for sure!! Thank you & well done on the amazing grades!!!

ReputationRep:
    Last year I did pretty bad in my AS considering i was predicted all As. i ended up with ABD. the B in Chemistry which i was devastated with since i wanted to do it at uni, and a D in physics which i needed to get into uni!.

so in year 13 I retook both exams in chemistry and physics. if your doing sciences, year 12 topics become a piece of cake in year 13! year 13 topics build on what you learnt in year 12! so retaking year 12 science exams is highly recommended, even if you got a B because you're bound to get so much higher in a retake after you've learnt the year 13 stuff.

In the end I achieves AAA and now off to study chemistry!
    I really wwana ask u what board you was on for chemistry? and also.. Is chemistry A2 harder then AS ? :/ or is it more like same work load and just building on top of As.. ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RB136444)
    I got the exact same results as you for AS! However, in different subjects I'm just wondering, what did you get as your predicted grades, and what do you think helped you with getting the offers from universities as I'm really worried that my AS grades will stop me from getting offers when I know I can achieve AAA next year for sure!! Thank you & well done on the amazing grades!!!
    through serious begging, i got my teachers to predict me ABB. (my chem teacher wouldnt budge) but that didnt stop me getting AAB offers. soften up your teachers now... say you have a bad time during the exam period, and do well in class work and homework and any tests to show the teachers you are capable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MerveA)
    I really wwana ask u what board you was on for chemistry? and also.. Is chemistry A2 harder then AS ? :/ or is it more like same work load and just building on top of As.. ?
    I did Edexcel. when you do A2, AS seems so easy, especially in chemistry because in AS you do organic chem, and in A2 you do further organic chem, you just build up on your knowledge.

In a way, i found year 13 much easier, because there is no jump between As to A2 compared to the jump between GCSE and AS. so you dont need to spend half a year trying to understand the different way the exams are marked because you already know it!

work load wise, the A2 practicals were pretty much the same idea for AS for edexcel, so no real change there. personally, I really didnt work for AS but for A2 I actually put effort in, so the workload i put in at home changed alot! but not joking when i say this, START NOW!
    when you do notes in class, when you get home write them neatly, it will help you much more when you start revising later.

(btw, the organic chem topic is harder, there are so many mechanisms to learn, but learn them as you go along, not all at the last minute!)

not sure what its like for other exam boards, but i'm sure it would be similar! good luck!

BY THE WAY, PERSONAL STATEMENT MATTERS, DO YOUR FIRST DRAFT ASAP!

ReputationRep:
    through serious begging, i got my teachers to predict me ABB. (my chem teacher wouldnt budge) but that didnt stop me getting AAB offers. soften up your teachers now... say you have a bad time during the exam period, and do well in class work and homework and any tests to show the teachers you are capable
    You still got AAB offers? That actually makes my day!!! XD

But thank you, this is really helpful! I will definitely show my Human Bio teacher I am better than a D xD

Thank you!! & Good Luck in Uni!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    If I had a D for my AS and I need a combined grade ( AS and A2) of B for the UNI . Will achieving an A* at A2 sum up to a B at least . How does it work ? I am on the CIE exam board .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Re-re)
    i received C, D,E,E in psychology,geography, english and history in that order should i restart the year or resit some modules because its unlikely i will get high predicted grades and go to a good uni ?

like i feel soo dad and pressure coz al my friends did good and i feel ashamed like i feel just so discouraged what should i do ??
    I'm in a similar position to you i'm carrying on with A2 and will work my ASS off i know we all say that but during AS i underestimated how much work there would be and i feel like i'm more prepared now but with no january exams i'm VERY VERY worried as i'll be retaking some of my AS exams And applying to low rank unis is what i'll have to do as my predicted grades won't even be that high. Just have to work hard and get abb at least and then take a gap year to re apply or go through clearing. i hate this but it's gotta be done, just wish i got better AS grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    For any science students (especially Biology and chemistry) and Maths, it's very very easy to be hard-working and knowing your stuff, but still ending up on a C, what AS students don't realise is how big a jump A-levels are from GCSEs (especially in terms of marking). A-levels don't just require knowledge, they require tactics, you need to understand WHAT the question in your exam paper is asking and HOW you should answer it. So it's not about what you know, it's about WHERE you put it and HOW you present it! Exam technique is really important as well as knowing your specification inside out!

This is what I did to go from DDDE to A*A*AA:

• Keep yourself organised, don't set yourself the amount of hours you'd revise in an evening, instead set yourself targets (say to yourself "okay I'm going to finish making notes for this chapter today") and stick to them!
    • Make notes according to your exam board's specification. Honestly literally know your specification inside out. This is especially important for anyone doing OCR chemistry and Edexcel Biology.
    • For maths: I used examsolutions and I did textbook chapters a lot before starting on past papers to make me confident. After I did past papers I tallied which topics I kept losing marks on then I looked up questions in past papers specific to that topic and did them all!
    • For Edexcel Biology, the examiner reports are a BIG life-saver. They not only show you the answers previous candidates have written but also how many marks they achieved for it (these can be found on the official Edexcel website). Biology mark schemes are usually very basic, so examiner reports help you in perfecting your exam technique
    • For OCR chemistry: I did OCR (B) so this is what I used: http://www.rswebsites.co.uk/science/...pers/Index.htm, I literally did every past paper ever. With OCR chemistry you'll slowly start to understand that their papers are really repetitive but their mark schemes are REALLY specific. So it's a good idea to memorise the big 6 markers for which the mark scheme never changes. Also, if you can find yourself something similar to what that link has to offer then that would be helpful!
    • Obviously, give yourself a break every now and again, but don't keep delaying targets. You don't want work piling up.
    • Get your teachers to mark your past papers as much as possible.
    • Watch YouTube videos for anything you don't quite understand in Biology or chemistry (you'd be surprised at the amount of education crap on YouTube)
    • I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to make your own notes. I mean, it's good to find online notes, but reading through them didn't really help me a big deal.
    • Try CGP revision guide for Edexcel Biology, they really did help me, but NEVER rely on revision guides to cover everything (especially for OCR Chemistry). Make sure you look through the specification and tick off stuff that you know!

That's all I can think of right now, sorry it's a lot of reading but I hope it helps someone.

Omg this just helped motivate me even more and that's amazing what you got in the end well done!
    Can i ask did you retake only once before achieving the grade that you were happy with? and were they in january?
    I did AS maths and got an E and so i'll be retaking c2 and d1 alongside my A2 exams and (as there are no january exams) any tips as to how i can balance maths out? >_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bixel)
    I'm in the same boat, too!
    Have you received your predicted grades? If so PM me and we can talk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KillaOfDawn)
    Have you received your predicted grades? If so PM me and we can talk.
    Rather than applying this year I'll be applying next year with my achieved A2 grades
    Won't have predicted grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mguindy)
    I achieved BCC at AS, and brought it up to A*A*A in my A2.

With a lot of hard work, large improvements are possible!

Have to say the January modules helped to motivate me from the offset though.
    Wow well doneeee! What subjects did you do? And any tips for revision please im retaking some AS exams ontop of a2 😪 and i know i need to wotk my BUTT off!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewPeet93)
    I got a C in English at GCSE, a low C at AS English Lang & Lit and then a top A at A2. You should naturally mature more when you move on to A2, it sounds cliche but just be prepared and understand the mark scheme and it'll be easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wowowow i got C for As eng lit any specific revision techniques? Please

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MerveA)
    That's an amazing success story i believe. I too have got a D for maths AS, do you know if your friend retook all maths modules? I've got all 3 exams a D in maths.. if she can do it, this news will really motivate me, and i really want to know if she retook all 3 along with A2 exams.. ?
    I got E for maths. How are you planning out your revision for the retakes on top of a2 maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Anyone have any success stories of getting bad at AS, but actually improving at lot in the A2 year?

How hard did you have to work for them?
    Judging by ur username ur an idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyugly)
    Omg this just helped motivate me even more and that's amazing what you got in the end well done!
    Can i ask did you retake only once before achieving the grade that you were happy with? and were they in january?
    I did AS maths and got an E and so i'll be retaking c2 and d1 alongside my A2 exams and (as there are no january exams) any tips as to how i can balance maths out? >_<
    Once you start doing C3 and C4, trust me, C1 and C2 will be a laugh. You'll be fine, just start practicing C1 and C2 RIGHT NOW (use examsolutions (examsolutions.net) and textbooks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-L...rds=edexcel+c1).

I really loved Maths at A-level, well I hated it during my AS year, but at A2 it was probably my favourite subject. You'll do fine, you seem motivated and determined!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    Once you start doing C3 and C4, trust me, C1 and C2 will be a laugh. You'll be fine, just start practicing C1 and C2 RIGHT NOW (use examsolutions (examsolutions.net) and textbooks: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-L...rds=edexcel+c1).

I really loved Maths at A-level, well I hated it during my AS year, but at A2 it was probably my favourite subject. You'll do fine, you seem motivated and determined!
    I too got an E in Maths, rather disappointed as I was expecting at least a C (I was planning on retaking no matter what unless I got an A). I was thinking of starting AS from scratch however the Maths department contacted me and told me that they knew I could do better (I know I can) and told me I could do A2 only if I promise to retake the AS exams and go to extra lessons. I now do Business A2, Maths AS/A2 and Sub Dip Engineering (2 year course in 1 year). I've doubled the AS classes the dept wanted me to go to.

I read your story and it has really motivated me. I've always been lazy, in school I got all Bs and many were practically a few marks of an A but because of laziness I refused to ever retake and I regret it. Failing AS has changed me completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyugly)
    I got E for maths. How are you planning out your revision for the retakes on top of a2 maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well ive jus created revision times within my timetable like say i have a free time gap between two lessons, ive fitted the as maths revision gap there, so at that time ill jus revise as maths , i say you should watch the exam solutions book and just revise from before, i just know i havent really practiced for as maths n got a D, remember practise makes perfect! The more eariler you start to revise, the better, and thats what ill be doing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That is a great timetable, mind if I use it as inspiration as mine? Believe me, I really need one and that fits the bill.Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.