Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucey)
    I went to Barts open day and was told that they expect every applicant to have a strong UKCAT and the highest UCAS tariff, only if you meet these criteria your application would be considered on the basis of your PS and non-academics, that's why I asked.
    I'm really new to this whole UCAS thing, but I assumed that those applying for medicine would all have 700+ scores...
    I am applying with 635 UKCAT score and 680 tariff. High Ucas tariff makes up for low ukcat score and vice versa. Thats what admission officer told me. And thats evident from the last year stats. So chill out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberryfeet)
    looking at this thread really depresses me...... I've got 540 ucas tariff and 677.5 ukcat. From the look of this thread, I stand no chance of an interview. Should I not apply to this uni even though it was my top university choice? or should I just take the risk
    U should definitely apply I would say. Don't forget that its TSR which isn't representative of all the applicants. If I were you, I would take the risk. Your Ucas tariff and UKcat are both well above average so don't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberryfeet)
    looking at this thread really depresses me...... I've got 540 ucas tariff and 677.5 ukcat. From the look of this thread, I stand no chance of an interview. Should I not apply to this uni even though it was my top university choice? or should I just take the risk
    Most TSR wannabemedics are usually quite competitive in their applications. (Hence why the medicine forum is so popular because they use their break time to come online and type out their streams of consciousness).

I think your UCAS tariff/UKCAT scores are perfectly fine. If it's your top choice, I'd say go for it. They'll hopefully be able to pick up your enthusiasm at the interview and offer you a place.

P.S I don't know why I used "they" when I probably should've used "we".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucey)
    I went to Barts open day and was told that they expect every applicant to have a strong UKCAT and the highest UCAS tariff, only if you meet these criteria your application would be considered on the basis of your PS and non-academics, that's why I asked.
    I'm really new to this whole UCAS thing, but I assumed that those applying for medicine would all have 700+ scores...
    a bit of misinformation here. Which open day did you attend? On the one I attended in July I got informed that ucas/ukcat are the sole selectors for interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrumChops)
    a bit of misinformation here. Which open day did you attend? On the one I attended in July I got informed that ucas/ukcat are the sole selectors for interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
    June 22nd, I was said that because they expect all applicants to have a really strong ucas/ukcat they will look on other aspects after narrowing their choices to those. Maybe after narrowing meant after the interview? :confused:
    Anyway what you're saying is a huge relief, PS is so subjective!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, a quick question! Do Barts and the London rely solely on interview performance to select applicants for offers? i.e the UKCAT and academics are put aside after selection for an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Do you count an a-level in general studies? I know they dont use it in the offer, but can you use it for the points?

Also, anyone else worried they've missed some qualifications and therefore not added the points??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrumChops)

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by lucey)
    June 22nd, I was said that because they expect all applicants to have a really strong ucas/ukcat they will look on other aspects after narrowing their choices to those. Maybe after narrowing meant after the interview? :confused:
    Anyway what you're saying is a huge relief, PS is so subjective!

(Original post by KerryMan)
    Hey guys, a quick question! Do Barts and the London rely solely on interview performance to select applicants for offers? i.e the UKCAT and academics are put aside after selection for an interview.
    From what I've gathered from the open day and website, they base their selection for the interview solely on UCAS/UKAT 50/50. After the interview, you are judges solely on interview performance - nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if its worth me applying here, my stats are below:
    Tarrif: 540
    Ukcat: 713

Would this be good enough??? After reading everyones tarrifs and Ukcat im getting quite worried.

(Original post by Mo_maths)
      Hi,

I was wondering if its worth me applying here, my stats are below:
      Tarrif: 540
      Ukcat: 713

Would this be good enough??? After reading everyones tarrifs and Ukcat im getting quite worried.
      I'm sure you'll be fine mate, this is TSR, the most inaccurate place to check out the applicant pool If you look at the admission data from last year, your tariff and UKCAT are great.

ReputationRep:
      Guys ukcat average 670 and ucas tarrif 680 worth a shot for undergrad medicine ?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Amaad121)
      Guys ukcat average 670 and ucas tarrif 680 worth a shot for undergrad medicine ?
      An example they gave last year, in regards to candidates they interviews was:

UKCAT 600 UCAS 700

As you can see, you are very likely to get an interview as you are only 20 below that UCAS example, but 70 above that UKCAT example (assuming these are weighted in such a manner)

ReputationRep:
      Does general studies count towards ucas tariff points? Say you got a B is that and extra few points? I know Gen studies wouldn't be considered in the offer.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cat-lover)
      Welcome to the thread. They use UKCAT and UCAS tariff points in a 50/50 weighting. If you have a lower UKCAT score, you can make up for it with higher UCAS tariff points. KanKan posted some really useful admission statistics in the first post so take a look at that to get some values. You can also find last year's thread as it had ranges of tariff points and how successful people were if they were within a particular range as well as some other stats.

If you don't mind sharing, what score did you get and what are your predicted grades/UCAS tariff points? The 3 of us have 530 UCAS tariff points so we need around 690 on our UKCAT (thanks for the estimate KanKan ).

Hiya, I got 700 on my UKCAT but I don't know how to calculate the tariff points, the tables on ucas just confuse me. I have an A*A*A*A* in bio, chem, maths, and phys. (gap year reapplicant). Do you know how many ucas points that is?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sazam)
      Hiya, I got 700 on my UKCAT but I don't know how to calculate the tariff points, the tables on ucas just confuse me. I have an A*A*A*A* in bio, chem, maths, and phys. (gap year reapplicant). Do you know how many ucas points that is?
      Yes, that's 560 points (A* = 140). Well done on your UKCAT and grades!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Shaimaa95)
      Does general studies count towards ucas tariff points? Say you got a B is that and extra few points? I know Gen studies wouldn't be considered in the offer.
      yes it counts

ReputationRep:
      Hi ST,

Does anybody know what my UCAS tariff score would be if my A2 predictions are A*A*A with an A in my dropped AS subject?
      Also how many points does an A* EPQ hold?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
      I have 2 music exams that I would get UCAS points for, does any body know if I can count the scores from both of them? Or just one? Would you say 540 tariff and 705 UKCAT is safe?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by C B)
      Hi ST,

Does anybody know what my UCAS tariff score would be if my A2 predictions are A*A*A with an A in my dropped AS subject?
      Also how many points does an A* EPQ hold?

Cheers!

Think you have 140+140+120 for your A2 predictions, 60 for your AS and 70 for EPQ A* so 530?

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works.../tariff-tables

ReputationRep:
      I'm confused about this tariff points concept :/ Can someone tell me what i have got?

Predictions: A*A*AA in maths, bio, chem and general studies
      Got a B for AS Physics.

And my UKCAT was 2670, so average 668

Is it worth applying here? :/ I really want to but i don't think i am goood enough compared to what everyone else here!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.