Frank Ribery (13)
7.74%
Jordooooom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Llamageddon)
Name another league that has had champions league winners fail to qualify through their respective domestic competition in the last ten years? EPL did it twice, and have also had four teams in the semi-final. Last season no teams represented in the semis. If that happened to France, Italy or even Germany it would not have raised eyebrows. The only reason it would shock with Spain is because Barca/ Real are so strong.

The EPL is strong at the top and can field multiple CL contenders but its real strength is in the depth of the league. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised to see West Ham do well in la liga.
We're talking about recently, as in the last couple of years. English teams have done nothing in the CL. I honestly don't know why anyone would believe that the best player in the world would struggle in the premier league, I mean are you delusional? Look at some of the PL players that moved from la liga. Aguero, Ozil, Mata, Toure, Silva, Navas, Negredo, Michu, Carzola etc.. most of them didn't even come from the top 2 clubs and they haven't quite struggled in the Premier league have they? And they don't have anything on Messi.

I'd bet that Athletico could finish in the top 4 too
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ronaldo is a beautiful man and deserved to win it, now hush all of you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jordooooom)
We're talking about recently, as in the last couple of years. English teams have done nothing in the CL. I honestly don't know why anyone would believe that the best player in the world would struggle in the premier league, I mean are you delusional? Look at some of the PL players that moved from la liga. Aguero, Ozil, Mata, Toure, Silva, Navas, Negredo, Michu, Carzola etc.. most of them didn't even come from the top 2 clubs and they haven't quite struggled in the Premier league have they? And they don't have anything on Messi.

I'd bet that Athletico could finish in the top 4 too
Couple means 2. That includes 2012. You know, the season where Chelsea, an English team, won the damn thing.

Done nothing indeed. 50% of the last two champions league finals going to an EPL team and you say nothing has been done? What do you expect? And you call me delusional?
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Couple means 2. That includes 2012. You know, the season where Chelsea, an English team, won the damn thing.

Done nothing indeed. 50% of the last two champions league finals going to an EPL team and you say nothing has been done? What do you expect? And you call me delusional?
Chelsea were extremely lucky to win that year and everyone knows it. Hence why they went on to get beat 4-1 off Athletico in the super cup :lol: Did you also argue that Greece were the best team in europe after they managed to win a one off tournament?

See that's the only argument you have 'bhuuut chelski won the CL'.

If Messi could score 4 against Arsenal in the Champions league I'm pretty sure he could handle teams like Sunderland and Fulham :rolleyes:
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Chelsea were extremely lucky to win that year and everyone knows it. Hence why they went on to get beat 4-1 off Athletico in the super cup :lol: Did you also argue that Greece were the best team in europe after they managed to win a one off tournament?

See that's the only argument you have 'bhuuut chelski won the CL'.

If Messi could score 4 against Arsenal in the Champions league I'm pretty sure he could handle teams like Sunderland and Fulham :rolleyes:
When an argument completely contradicts the absurd statement that you made that EPL teams have done nothing in the last couple of years in the Champions league, then why would I need to make a second?
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When an argument completely contradicts the absurd statement that you made that EPL teams have done nothing in the last couple of years in the Champions league, then why would I need to make a second?
Except it hasn't... How many English teams got to the quarter finals this year? How many the year before that excluding Chelsea? Because one team managed to fluke a win that means the premier league is harder to play in than the la liga? hahaha if you say so..
Pistol 33
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Except it hasn't... How many English teams got to the quarter finals this year? How many the year before that excluding Chelsea? Because one team managed to fluke a win that means the premier league is harder to play in than the la liga? hahaha if you say so..
You think la liga is harder to play in than the epl? looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooool....messi fans these days.. just accept it, a ballon d'or in the best and hardest league is better than messi who continues to score against ****tey teams beside both madrids. this is why messi cant score against big teams like bayern. Ronaldo raped united, raped chelsea in pre season, raped bayern in 10 mins with 2 goals, raped city, raped dortmund... what about messi! scoring against celtic! l0l
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pistol 33)
You think la liga is harder to play in than the epl? looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooool....messi fans these days.. just accept it, a ballon d'or in the best and hardest league is better than messi who continues to score against ****tey teams beside both madrids. this is why messi cant score against big teams like bayern. Ronaldo raped united, raped chelsea in pre season, raped bayern in 10 mins with 2 goals, raped city, raped dortmund... what about messi! scoring against celtic! l0l
Maradona, Pele, Zidane, Cruyff and many of the other world's greatest never played in the premier league. Just stop being delusional in believing that the premier league is the best :lol: Oh I don't know, how about when Messi scored in the CL final against United? Or when he single handedly tore Arsenal to shreds?

If Ronaldo can't even outscore Messi in the La liga what makes you think Messi couldn't outscore him in the Premier league :lol: :lol:

Why don't you look at the head to heads of la liga teams vs English teams in recent times. What does that tell you?
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maradona, Pele, Zidane, Cruyff and many of the other world's greatest never played in the premier league. Just stop being delusional in believing that the premier league is the best :lol: Oh I don't know, how about when Messi scored in the CL final against United? Or when he single handedly tore Arsenal to shreds?

If Ronaldo can't even outscore Messi in the La liga what makes you think Messi couldn't outscore him in the Premier league :lol: :lol:

Why don't you look at the head to heads of la liga teams vs English teams in recent times. What does that tell you?
The premier league's explosion as a strong league has been much more of a recent thing - I'd say the last 10-15 years at the most. Italian football was one of the strongest in the past but now a lot of people would put them 4th?

I think Messi would score plenty in the premier league myself but I do think Ronaldo would probably outscore him just because he's a bit more suited to the physical game. There's a lot more running like headless chickens and being kicked (just kicked for the sake of it) in the premier league than La Liga.

I'd also say that Barcelona and Real Madrid are slightly stronger than the best of the premier league but then the next set and downwards are stronger in the premier league. The simple fact is that the next 18 clubs in the premier league receive more money in revenue than the rest of La Liga and therefore generally they will have better players and better squads just because money can attract it.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
The premier league's explosion as a strong league has been much more of a recent thing - I'd say the last 10-15 years at the most. Italian football was one of the strongest in the past but now a lot of people would put them 4th?

I think Messi would score plenty in the premier league myself but I do think Ronaldo would probably outscore him just because he's a bit more suited to the physical game. There's a lot more running like headless chickens and being kicked (just kicked for the sake of it) in the premier league than La Liga.

I'd also say that Barcelona and Real Madrid are slightly stronger than the best of the premier league but then the next set and downwards are stronger in the premier league. The simple fact is that the next 18 clubs in the premier league receive more money in revenue than the rest of La Liga and therefore generally they will have better players and better squads just because money can attract it.
True, I just don't understand why all of a sudden people think a player needs to prove himself in the premier league to be considered the best player ever.

Where do you think Athletico Madrid would be in the premier league? I'd argue top 6 at least
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
True, I just don't understand why all of a sudden people think a player needs to prove himself in the premier league to be considered the best player ever.

Where do you think Athletico Madrid would be in the premier league? I'd argue top 6 at least
No idea. Frankly if a player proves himself in the champions league and any of England, Spain, Italy or Germany then that is good enough for me.

It's tough because any view will be somewhat skewed by their current great form. Last season they scored 76 points and the year before it was only 56.

I think they would be 4th to 7th - similar to where Liverpool, Everton, Spurs and Man Utd are at the moment. But on this year's form? I suppose they would be 1st! since they've only dropped 7 points.
baconbutty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Top 6?

Atletico would be challenging for the league. Their performances in the champions league, la liga especially against Real Madrid and barca clearly show they are currently one of the top teams in the world at the moment

they also completely embarrassed chelsea in the supercup the season before as well they are really good defensively
Pistol 33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

ronaldo won golden boot in la liga. Typical messi fans making up lies. At the end of the day the ironic thing is ronaldo is a winger. The fact that a winger is compared to a striker is a joke. I'm 100% sure if ronaldo played as a CF with no-one infront him then he'd score many goals. Look at ronaldo this CL and last CL. Top scorer and has had the hardest group last season and a hard group this one, which he set a record for the most goal scored.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ronaldo won golden boot in la liga. Typical messi fans making up lies. At the end of the day the ironic thing is ronaldo is a winger. The fact that a winger is compared to a striker is a joke. I'm 100% sure if ronaldo played as a CF with no-one infront him then he'd score many goals. Look at ronaldo this CL and last CL. Top scorer and has had the hardest group last season and a hard group this one, which he set a record for the most goal scored.
Don't even try and use goal stats to argue that Ronaldo is better because you will have already lost. How many times has Ronaldo won the golden boot in the la liga? Once in 2010-2011? Every other year Messi has outscored him in league. And even then he still ended up with the same amount of goals overall that year.

No it's not ironic because he is still a forward and he has far more attempts on goal than any other striker (partly because he's selfish) and has a very poor shot to goal ratio. Look up the statistics. So the winger defence is a very, very poor excuse.

As for being the CL top scorer last season, well done. Not like Messi was the top scorer the 3 years previous is it? Or the fact that Messi has more CL goals in total than Ronaldo despite playing less games.

Just give up :lol:
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ronaldo just had a better season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pistol 33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't even try and use goal stats to argue that Ronaldo is better because you will have already lost. How many times has Ronaldo won the golden boot in the la liga? Once in 2010-2011? Every other year Messi has outscored him in league. And even then he still ended up with the same amount of goals overall that year.

No it's not ironic because he is still a forward and he has far more attempts on goal than any other striker (partly because he's selfish) and has a very poor shot to goal ratio. Look up the statistics. So the winger defence is a very, very poor excuse.

As for being the CL top scorer last season, well done. Not like Messi was the top scorer the 3 years previous is it? Or the fact that Messi has more CL goals in total than Ronaldo despite playing less games.

Just give up :lol:
Ronaldo has had a harder group then messi... again this season he has a harder group then messi.... For a winger to outscore a striker ..well shows messi's not on the same level as ronaldo. Messi will never be as good as ronaldo untill he proves himself in the EPL without xavi or iniesta.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ronaldo has had a harder group then messi... again this season he has a harder group then messi.... For a winger to outscore a striker ..well shows messi's not on the same level as ronaldo. Messi will never be as good as ronaldo untill he proves himself in the EPL without xavi or iniesta.
Lol. Just lol.
Pistol 33
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Malevolent)
Lol. Just lol.

Just today he banged a 30 yard shot and did a overhead kick assist. Simply ronaldo.
Hugs31
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ribery is entitled to be angry that he wasn't awarded the Ballon d'Or, his quotes from today are correct, he did win three trophies yet Ronaldo won nothing. Never really rated the Frenchman before last season but he really excelled himself and was at the heart of Bayern's treble winning season. Saying that there would have been a huge media outcry/backlash if Ronaldo wasn't awarded it when Messi had been injured. Maybe they just gave it to him this year to close the case bit like Bruce Forsyth's knighthood, someone different will get it next year.
WeOnlyLiveOnce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ronaldo looks to be running away with the Balon D'or this season especially if he wins CL and has a good WC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (163)
22.27%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (137)
18.72%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.48%

Watched Threads