St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants Watch

Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dups45)
What kind of value is put on the bursaries for books etc, and what type of bursaries and grants are avaliable from the college. The website is a bit vauge about it
The book grant covers half of the cost of your books, up to £155. If you get a first, the following year the grant becomes full cost, upto £360!
sTe\/o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
The book grant covers half of the cost of your books, up to £155. If you get a first, the following year the grant becomes full cost, upto £360!
And you can also get some other cash prizes up to about £120 for good grades (i.e. a high 1st). And if you're a medic you automatically get another grant for £150 (full cost, not just half) in addition to those mentioned. Johns is probably the second best college if you want lots of money thrown at you.
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sTe\/o)
And you can also get some other cash prizes up to about £120 for good grades (i.e. a high 1st). And if you're a medic you automatically get another grant for £150 (full cost, not just half) in addition to those mentioned. Johns is probably the second best college if you want lots of money thrown at you.
Oh yes, and if you get a first, you get a £150 scholarship, as £50 off your bill for each term of the next year. Do well in exams and you certainly get rewarded
toto8462
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
They are probably the best at taking money from you as well. Just the basics (i.e. KFC and Room etc) cost about £300 more per term than some of the other colleges...

So, an extra £900 over the course of the year, gets you a chance of £120 back - thats fantastic!
ShaneP
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Noticed we were falling down a bit
Heaven forbid... :p:
BPB
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
And silence descended across the land...:p:
ShaneP
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by BPB)
And silence descended across the land...:p:
We're too cool to converse. :cool:
BPB
Report 11 years ago
Yeah! Human interaction is like soooo last year! Sooo overrated! All we need are books!
ShaneP
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by BPB)
Yeah! Human interaction is like soooo last year! Sooo overrated! All we need are books!
Of course. We're too focused and committed to expanding our intellectual capacity. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, St. John's creeps up the page...
BPB
Report 11 years ago
We must get John's to no. 1!! Quick, a topic of conversation is needed for this heroic task!!! Errr....ducks!...Handbags!...Box er shorts!...Argh!

Though..having said ducks...are there any college animals at John's? 'cos I likes animals and 'twould be very nice if there was a college cat or something...
Enfalas
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Isn't there a cow in a field at another college?
BPB
Report 11 years ago
I think that you're technically allowed to keep a cow on Kings' meadow bit if you get a first? Though I don't think many people take them up on that nowadays. They make them into burgers instead....
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by BPB)
Though..having said ducks...are there any college animals at John's? 'cos I likes animals and 'twould be very nice if there was a college cat or something...
Well, we get geese on the backs all summer, if they count!
Oh, and last term there was a cat (possibly belonging to one of the fellows) that seemed to live part-time in the Fisher Building - haven't seen it this year though :confused:
BPB
Report 11 years ago
Well it's true! Hungry students really will eat ANYTHING!
KAISER_MOLE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I have, though mainly around the Plodge, I think it actually is from Magdalene - but that really should count as part of John's anyway.

There are burgers in the Buttery tonight I think, though I am going to formal hall...I'm ashamed to say with some Trinity Mathmos.
ShaneP
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
I have, though mainly around the Plodge, I think it actually is from Magdalene - but that really should count as part of John's anyway.

There are burgers in the Buttery tonight I think, though I am going to formal hall...I'm ashamed to say with some Trinity Mathmos.
My Further Maths teacher studied Maths at Magdalene, so you can imagine the look on his face when I told him the college I got an offer from supposedly owns his college.

The dining hall at John's is really nice, from what I've seen in pictures. Isn't Trinity supposed to be the great rival of St. John's? I'd love to play in the annual cricket match between our respective Maths societies, although I've heard we haven't done too well in recent years...
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
Well, we get geese on the backs all summer, if they count!
Oh, and last term there was a cat (possibly belonging to one of the fellows) that seemed to live part-time in the Fisher Building - haven't seen it this year though :confused:
They were around on the river this morning. They've been waking me up ever since the boy moved to this room.
dups45
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do the first years live in cripps? Is it nice in there? it doesnt look too nice from the outside, what about 2nd year, i heard u can live out, is that true? are the houses good, or is not that favourable to live out?
KAISER_MOLE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
All first years live in Cripps. It is cold and ugly, but excellent socially as you are so close to everyone. 2nd year most people share rooms with another person, but some can be in single accomodation in a student hostel just outside John's (I think) and there are 4 houses available for 6 people each. I wanna stay in college personally, not sure which is favourable though.

And shouldn't you be in school/doing work? :p: - wait, shouldn't I be doing work?
oldthrashbarg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do the first years live in cripps? Is it nice in there? it doesnt look too nice from the outside, what about 2nd year, i heard u can live out, is that true? are the houses good, or is not that favourable to live out?

Yes, first year students live in Cripps. The accommodation is very good, certainly better that a lot of other first-year accommodation. The rooms are big, you're not in some alley in town with lorries reversing at 5.30 in the morning, and everyone is in the same place. A few people do live out in 2nd year. The houses are pretty nice, but I still prefer to live in college so that I'm close to the bar, hall, library, and everyone else.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?