Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    Why? It's human nature to be ambitious, and I'd much rather have ambitious young people than those unmotivated to achieve anything.
    There's a big difference between ambition and greed. I'm ambitious but I have no desire to be rich.

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of people here expecting high salaries, which really isn't realistic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    There isn't really though is there, they are very closely related concepts? People tend to describe ambition as 'good' and greed as 'bad', but they are otherwise the same.

For example, you say that the ambition to forge a successful, well-paid career is greedy, the implication being that to want a well-paying job is bad. I'm not sure I agree, and I think most people would disagree in fact. Like it or not most people's career aspirations are closely tied to earnings. That is not to say people cannot be motivated by other factors, but they are not necessarily more worthy.
    See this is where society is going wrong. I want to forge a career that makes me happy, live a life that I can be satisfied with and sustain myself in the process. I don't care if I'm living off cold chicken sandwiches in the process, money isn't supposed to be a who's got the biggest wang game in my opinion. It's meant to be a tool that we use to ensure we can trade, trade is simply the act of gathering from others what you need to survive in exchange for skills you've developed. Of courses there's some skills that are more valuable than others and some that are less but the key thing we've lost sight of a society - which I believe is evidenced by this thread - is that we are collectively just living til we die and money, material possessions and greed are pointless. I will never care about what I earn beyond that it puts food on my table, that doesn't mean I don't have ambitions in my career trajectory but the pay cheque will never be the important bit, proving to myself and others around me I'm capable of certain things and being happy in the process is much more important. The truth of the matter is you can be successful and paid ****, and the people who are successful and paid **** make the world go round.

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a Midwife andstarting salary is 21k, can reach 40k if you specialize.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 48:13)
    See this is where society is going wrong. I want to forge a career that makes me happy, live a life that I can be satisfied with and sustain myself in the process. I don't care if I'm living off cold chicken sandwiches in the process, money isn't supposed to be a who's got the biggest wang game in my opinion. It's meant to be a tool that we use to ensure we can trade, trade is simply the act of gathering from others what you need to survive in exchange for skills you've developed. Of courses there's some skills that are more valuable than others and some that are less but the key thing we've lost sight of a society - which I believe is evidenced by this thread - is that we are collectively just living til we die and money, material possessions and greed are pointless. I will never care about what I earn beyond that it puts food on my table, that doesn't mean I don't have ambitions in my career trajectory but the pay cheque will never be the important bit, proving to myself and others around me I'm capable of certain things and being happy in the process is much more important. The truth of the matter is you can be successful and paid ****, and the people who are successful and paid **** make the world go round.
    Do not talk complete and utter hogwash, not just the part which I have emboldened is hogwash, but the whole paragraph is hogwash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jophesxi)
    There are a lot of people here expecting high salaries, which really isn't realistic...
    And why do you think that is the case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    oh so you intend to become the Prince of Saudi Arabia then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you have underestimated how rich the Prince of Saudi Arabia is. £1 million is not an unreasonable salary if one works hard and gets the right opportunities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    Do not talk complete and utter hogwash, not just the part which I have emboldened is hogwash, but the whole paragraph is hogwash.
    The part you've emboldened certainly isn't hogwash, my measure of success may different to yours though. Success is merely achieving what you set out to achieve; this has no relation at all to salary.

ReputationRep:
    £12,000-£15,000. Not sure on the exact job yet.

Seeing people on here wishing for 60-80k makes me weep for humanity.
    that is pathetically low, don't be angry that other people actually have ambitions

ReputationRep:

You expect to work for less than minimum wage?

ReputationRep:

"Wishing for 60-80k makes me weep for humanity"

Why? 60k is not a high salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    "Wishing for 60-80k makes me weep for humanity"

Why? 60k is not a high salary.
    No? It puts you in the top 10% of earners.

Being in the 9th decile of anything is ually seen as being high.

ReputationRep:
    GP, so 60-80k when fully qualified

ReputationRep:
    Investment banking pays. Can read 6 figures within a few years if you're in the right place at the right time.

ReputationRep:
    For me.... I'd be happy with 60-80K. I want to be a doctor involved in Emergency Medicine and go for HEMS (Air Ambulance )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicsuon)
    Investment banking pays. Can read 6 figures within a few years if you're in the right place at the right time.
    IB is the soul destroying job par excellence. Working for a job you might not like to make money you won't have time to spend.

ReputationRep:
    The way my life is going I would be lucky to get into work first never mind a decent salary times are way to hard nowadays the dream is people wanting £25k+ starting salary as a graduate but the reality is so much different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    IB is the soul destroying job par excellence. Working for a job you might not like to make money you won't have time to spend.
    But my family will never worry about money and that'll be worth every minute spent at the office.

ReputationRep:
    £60,000,000 professional bad ass

Not realistic? Yea of course that's realistic!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicsuon)
    But my family will never worry about money and that'll be worth every minute spent at the office.
    You won't have time to make a family unless you make one before you get job in IB. Plus, why make a family other than to have an excuse to overwork yourself?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.