Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to the law taster day at Jesus college??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Velvetgh0st)
    Anyone going to the law taster day at Jesus college??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not Law at Jesus, but hopefully PPE at Lady Margaret! *fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oakflame)
    Not Law at Jesus, but hopefully PPE at Lady Margaret! *fingers crossed*
    Ooh good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ooh good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You too!

ReputationRep:
    You too!
    I've been offered a place already

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered a place already

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ooh Have fun then!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh Have fun then!
    Haha thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyutsah)
    Hi don't know if this is a but late but wondered if it's worth me looking to apply (I'm year 12)

GCSE : 4A* 7A
    Predicted AS levels: AAAA
    AS Levels: English literature, art, economics, history
    Course: English Literature
    College: Magdalen

My teacher has said I could achieve an A* in lit by the end of the year. However economics is weak for me and feel I may get a B (or want to drop it at the end of AS)

Any guidance would be great!
    Your GCSE's are below average, but not to the point where I'd tell you not to apply/think you don't still have a chance.

Ideally you want your teachers to predict you the highest grades possible. So an A* prediction in English Lit would be helpful. Likewise in history. I would advise against dropping economics at the end of AS as having Art as a third subject may not go down fantastically well. As a 4th subject totally fine, not as one of just three. Keeping all 4 going if at all possible may be worth considering.

The entrance test is quite important and a good performance in it would overcome the GCSE's. In light of that I would begin preparing for it in plenty of time and seek the advise of your teachers in regards to doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenkinsear)
    Your GCSE's are below average, but not to the point where I'd tell you not to apply/think you don't still have a chance.

Ideally you want your teachers to predict you the highest grades possible. So an A* prediction in English Lit would be helpful. Likewise in history. I would advise against dropping economics at the end of AS as having Art as a third subject may not go down fantastically well. As a 4th subject totally fine, not as one of just three. Keeping all 4 going if at all possible may be worth considering.

The entrance test is quite important and a good performance in it would overcome the GCSE's. In light of that I would begin preparing for it in plenty of time and seek the advise of your teachers in regards to doing so.
    Someone in my year got in for Classics and English at Magdalen with Art as one of their 3 A-Levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    Someone in my year got in for Classics and English at Magdalen with Art as one of their 3 A-Levels
    I completely accept it's possible and happens, but realistically some tutors will not look on it favourably. I have heard tutors express views that it isn't an academic subject (in a negative way...) and that it's unsuitable. As with all things, views on it vary between individuals but I don't think it's necessarily the wisest course of action.

I had Art as a 5th Alevel back in the day and the College decided to exclude it from my offer. Read into that what you will.

Edit: Also since when were you a mod?! Am I due for a ban soon?

ReputationRep:
    I completely accept it's possible and happens, but realistically some tutors will not look on it favourably. I have heard tutors express views that it isn't an academic subject (in a negative way...) and that it's unsuitable. As with all things, views on it vary between individuals but I don't think it's necessarily the wisest course of action.

I had Art as a 5th Alevel back in the day and the College decided to exclude it from my offer. Read into that what you will.

Edit: Also since when were you a mod?! Am I due for a ban soon?
    I agree - I just thought the information was relevant seeing as it involves the English tutors at Magdalen and that's the subject/college in question.

Only about a month! Became modded around Oxford/Cambridge decision days

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=jenkinsear;53942273]I completely accept it's possible and happens, but realistically some tutors will not look on it favourably. I have heard tutors express views that it isn't an academic subject (in a negative way...) and that it's unsuitable. As with all things, views on it vary between individuals but I don't think it's necessarily the wisest course of action.

Fine Art A-level is fine for English Literature applicants.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 4 A*'s, 4 A's, 1 B, 1 C
    A-Levels: History, English Lit, Philosophy, RE, French
    Course: History
    College: Unsure! Thinking about Queen's.

Hope my chances aren't totally hopeless, I'm predicted AAAAA at the end of the year at least...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antisansculotte)
    GCSE grades: 4 A*'s, 4 A's, 1 B, 1 C
    A-Levels: History, English Lit, Philosophy, RE, French
    Course: History
    College: Unsure! Thinking about Queen's.

Hope my chances aren't totally hopeless, I'm predicted AAAAA at the end of the year at least...
    Do well in the HAT with solid AS results/Alevel predictions and I don't see why you can't get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Do well in the HAT with solid AS results/Alevel predictions and I don't see why you can't get an interview.
    I'd certainly hope I can get that far. I've planning on entering the history essay competitions at St Hilda's and St Hugh's, and I've already entered the poetry Christopher Tower competition at Christ Church. I may enter the philosophy essay competition at St Peter's or Oriel too, just for fun.

I also do volunteering for my local National Trust property, and I'd say a pretty heavy amount of additional reading.

Do you think any of this strengthens my application considerably? Sorry to bombard at midnight on a Friday...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antisansculotte)
    I'd certainly hope I can get that far. I've planning on entering the history essay competitions at St Hilda's and St Hugh's, and I've already entered the poetry Christopher Tower competition at Christ Church. I may enter the philosophy essay competition at St Peter's or Oriel too, just for fun.

I also do volunteering for my local National Trust property, and I'd say a pretty heavy amount of additional reading.

Do you think any of this strengthens my application considerably? Sorry to bombard at midnight on a Friday...
    They are all positives, but in the schemes of things extra curriculars are not as essential for Oxford as I think people often think. They are always welcome, there's no harm in doing them, but ultimately your grades, interview and admissions test performance are what overwhelmingly matter.

The extra reading will stand you in good stead.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 3A*, 4A, 3B

A-Levels: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computing (hoping for AAAA at AS and A*A*AA at alevel)

Course: Mathematics (surprise surprise
    )

College: i don't know/mind, Oxford is Oxford after all

My Bs at GCSE were in history, technology and english. As these subjects are unrelated to Mathematics would they overlook them? Those Bs are my main worry because I really want to go to Oxford and I feel they may make me seem like a weak candidate compared to others!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    GCSE grades: 3A*, 4A, 3B

A-Levels: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computing (hoping for AAAA at AS and A*A*AA at alevel)

Course: Mathematics (surprise surprise
    )

College: i don't know/mind, Oxford is Oxford after all

My Bs at GCSE were in history, technology and english. As these subjects are unrelated to Mathematics would they overlook them? Those Bs are my main worry because I really want to go to Oxford and I feel they may make me seem like a weak candidate compared to others!
    Your GCSEs are fine. They're going to care much more about your MAT performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Your GCSEs are fine. They're going to care much more about your MAT performance.
    thats really great to hear I plan to try my very best in every exam from now on to give myself the best chance to get in! At GCSE I did under perform a little

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 8A*s, 3As, 1B
    International baccalaureate: HL chemistry, biology and geography. SL maths, English and French ab intio.
    Course: Chemistry
    College: St John's

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.