Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a Muslim who is questioning his faith anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    I question the faith because it doesn't work. I've been a "good" muslim for many years. Yet literally nothing seems to go my way. I got robbed the other week (2 weeks before the start of ramadan) I lost £7k. Wtf did I do to deserve that. For the past 5 years I've literally failed every year to some extent or another. I thought praying was suppose to bring prosperity to my life, it evidently hasn't.
    To be fair, regardless of what happens with your stance on religion (stay muslim, convert to something else, become atheist, whatever), I'm sure everyone, theists and atheists, will (or should) agree that you should also believe in your own power too rather than solely relying on god for good exam results/not failing something etc.

As an atheist, I rely on my own strengths, and aspiration to want to get better (what else do I have to rely on if I don't have a god?). I also find it uplifting to know that I have the power to decide my fate, whether I fail or succeed. I'm not putting down praying, but You/theists can pray as hard as you can, but if you've never even revised for a subject you find difficult to comprehend, you wont do well in an exam. No one will. Your best bet is to work your arse off studying, and pray (if you want) for good luck.

I feel a lot of theists don't acknowledge the fact that they studied, or at the very least, already had some sort of comprehension for the material beforehand, so that when they do well, they will say god (solely) did this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 00100101)
    To be fair, regardless of what happens with your stance on religion (stay muslim, convert to something else, become atheist, whatever), I'm sure everyone, theists and atheists, will (or should) agree that you should also believe in your own power too rather than solely relying on god for good exam results/not failing something etc.

As an atheist, I rely on my own strengths, and aspiration to want to get better (what else do I have to rely on if I don't have a god?)
    It wasn't solely relying on God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    It wasn't solely relying on God.
    Do you now understand you were wrong to be mad at God and relying on God in any way, shape or form is entirely nonsensical and irrational? Please say you see this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Do you now understand you were wrong to be mad at God and relying on God in any way, shape or form is entirely nonsensical and irrational? Please say you see this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, I still think if there was a God surely he should have made my path at least easy to some extent or not. The only reasonable explanation I can think of, is either he does not exist or he hates me for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    No, I still think if there was a God surely he should have made my path at least easy to some extent or not. The only reasonable explanation I can think of, is either he does not exist or he hates me for some reason.
    God doesn't make anyone's path easy.. even the people that seem to have it easy most likely have serious problems that they're hiding.
    You don't seem like you understand anything, and you're definitely not capable of following a religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Your concept of God is so specific, it's impossible. Why would this God have a chosen group of people (who incidentally are the most violent religious group), have a chosen language, chosen culture to embed into? It's so specific and unlikely. Why would God intervene in your life, your just one person. There's a million more people with far more piousness and faith than you could EVER muster, and their situations isn't great. Why would Allah not help his Muslims in their lands being ravaged? Imagine the carnage of God intervening all the time, the imbalance created. It wouldn't explain why such immoral and evil people can always make money and keep their country poor.

God not helping anyone is a rubbish reason not to believe in God, and this is coming from someone who hasn't believed for a few years now.

If your theory is that God can actually intervene, it's weak.

From our previous interaction earlier about Allah creating us out of mercy (makes no sense) and making us worship him out of mercy (makes no sense), we know the basis of 'God' in Islam makes no sense at all and is countered with 'Allah knows best'.

I mean, can't you see the past the clear deception of Muhammed, E.g having situational revelations to benefit his cause, such as a new revelations on how to do deal with war booty. It started with an intelligent man on a mission to conquer, religion was his tool to keep people obedient. Half of Islam seems like keeping people obedient. E.g repeating words you don't understand (yet this still gets you rewards. Yet Islam is meant to be intellectual. However you can get rewarded for repeating words you don't understand? Obedience. Fasting for a month, obedience, praying 5 times day at set intervals, obedience.

I know you've been deep into Islam but you have to start somewhere.

Everyone is different. Islam is great for some, Islam is worthless for others. I think you're the latter... I don't think you actually 'need' Islam at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As a muslim myself i have felt like this many times, but i realised that god is there during the lows and highs, and that whatever happened it could have been worse, so just be grateful and patient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    You seem to think that being a good muslim is memorising the full quran and praying 5 times a day..My definition of a muslim is a good human being, someone that has hope and believes even when things aren't right and is still able to accept defeat and carry on..I say this to make a point that when I really want something truly from the bottom of my heart I get it, now I havent memorised the quran or prayed five times a day, but I'm a muslim since I believe there's no god but Allah and my prophet is Muhammad SWT..thing is I dont except a great deal back even when I want something, I know that I cant always get it because Allah makes things happen for a reason and I've accepted that because I'm no angel.. and dont say I'm just lucky, if anything I'm unlucky

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're using any excuse you can find to tell the OP that he should keep believing, quite obviously to strengthen your own resolve. If he had been doing the things you're saying, you'd be telling him he should have memorised the Quran and prayed five times a day. Make up your own mind about religion, don't feed off other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    You're using any excuse you can find to tell the OP that he should keep believing, quite obviously to strengthen your own resolve. If he had been doing the things you're saying, you'd be telling him he should have memorised the Quran and prayed five times a day. It's so ****ing transparent and pathetic. Make up your own mind about religion, don't feed off other people.
    She's pointing out what she thinks, dont be jel just cos you have nothing good to say btw I think you're wrong, after all you cant be religious if you're not a good person:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jilal)
    She's pointing out what she thinks, dont be jel just cos you have nothing good to say btw I think you're wrong, after all you cant be religious if you're not a good person:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The only part of his/her post that she/he can actually have based on any evidence is the part where she/he suggests that the OP may not be believing no matter what. The fact that he/she lists that in the sentence about being 'a good human being' doesn't give the idea that they are linked any merit. There's nothing to suggest that the OP isn't a good human being. I also said absolutely nothing about the importance or otherwise of being a good human being.

ReputationRep:
    The only part of his/her post that she/he can actually have based on any evidence is the part where she/he suggests that the OP may not be believing no matter what. The fact that he/she lists that in the sentence about being 'a good human being' doesn't give the idea that they are linked any merit. There's nothing to suggest that the OP isn't a good human being. I also said absolutely nothing about the importance or otherwise of being a good human being.
    Lol this post made me laugh I dont think she's basing anything on evidence..it's personal experience bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    I've also read it in English.
    I advise you to learn the Arabic language. Reading an English translation of the Qur'an doesn't to justice to it's meanings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muj121)
    I advise you to learn the Arabic language. Reading an English translation of the Qur'an doesn't to justice to it's meanings.
    I've tried, I know very basic phrases. But it is ridiculously difficult, don't even get me started on Arabic grammar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    I've tried, I know very basic phrases. But it is ridiculously difficult, don't even get me started on Arabic grammar.
    It's not hard. Trust me. You just need a bit of patience.

ReputationRep:
    You're using any excuse you can find to tell the OP that he should keep believing, quite obviously to strengthen your own resolve. If he had been doing the things you're saying, you'd be telling him he should have memorised the Quran and prayed five times a day. Make up your own mind about religion, don't feed off other people.
    That's what I've been thinking too. A lot of Muslims are saying I don't truly believe or I should try harder, but I genuinely have no idea how to. I am being the best Muslim I can be, whilst trying to maintain some sort of normal life.

ReputationRep:
    It's not hard. Trust me. You just need a bit of patience.
    It annoys me how you're telling me how it's not hard. When I've tried and found it ridiculously difficult, I'm not the type of person to easily give up but I just couldn't get my head around it. Lets just say languages isn't a very strong point of mine. Why should I trust you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    It annoys me how you're telling me how it's not hard. When I've tried and found it ridiculously difficult, I'm not the type of person to easily give up but I just couldn't get my head around it. Lets just say languages isn't a very strong point of mine. Why should I trust you?
    I'm trying to advise you. I'm telling you it's not hard because it's not. Knowledge comes through effort.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to advise you. I'm telling you it's not hard because it's not. Knowledge comes through effort.
    Well obviously we're different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arfah)
    Just give up then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did. Can I ask, can you read arabic?

In my experience south asian muslims, especially every single one that I know are taught to read arabic with no understanding of what it says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Bit of background.

I've memorised the the Qur'an cover to cover

Anyway got to go away for a bit so I'll answer the questions when I get back.
    What's the fifth word on page 7?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.