Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don'tMessThisUp)
    Oh, maybe.

Way to make things complicated; SGUL.

63's a good score though.

There's got to be some kind of statistical analysis....
    Considering the cut off was 62 though...I imagine the GAMSAT score bell curve will be some sort of indication. i'm not feeling too hopeful but if you know any GEM students at st george's they may be able to tell you if anyone got in from waiting list last year?

ReputationRep:

Email mentions overall score specifically. I would expect the wait list positions to be skewed to the lower end of the cut off, which was 62. My reasoning being that the distribution of scores would likely reflect the distribution of all GAMSAT scores; fewer as you go higher. 68/69 puts you close to the top 5% if I recall correctly, thus I would imagine you are in the top 3 of the waiting list. 63 would likely place us in the middle, perhaps towards the end of the waiting list, of 20 people I'd hazard a guess at 12-15.

I do wonder how they decide when it comes down to same GAMSAT score, do they return to the interview score to distinguish perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)

Email mentions overall score specifically. I would expect the wait list positions to be skewed to the lower end of the cut off, which was 62. My reasoning being that the distribution of scores would likely reflect the distribution of all GAMSAT scores; fewer as you go higher. 68/69 puts you close to the top 5% if I recall correctly, thus I would imagine you are in the top 3 of the waiting list. 63 would likely place us in the middle, perhaps towards the end of the waiting list, of 20 people I'd hazard a guess at 12-15.

I do wonder how they decide when it comes down to same GAMSAT score, do they return to the interview score to distinguish perhaps?
    Is the waiting list only 20 people long? Jesus.

Overall score for ranking, but what we were saying is for those who have the same score. How are they ranked? Back to interview, I suppose. What happens if you have the same interview score?

I was also a bit confused by the last bit of the email - suggesting to apply for 2016. I'm guessing that if you're on the waiting list then you can re-apply twice, whereas if you've been rejected twice, you're not allowed to?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else not heard? Refreshing my emails manically instead of doing any lab work.

Almost tempted to go down and ask them since my lab is next door to admissions.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...2013%20060.pdf

This is quite interesting for anyone on the waiting list. It seems there was only one point in it - so if you're on the WL, you have the same interview score anyway.

What I don't understand is what is going to happen to the ones who don't get places. It appears that in previous years, they gave you a place for the following year, but this year, I assume you're just going to get told to GTFO?

ReputationRep:
    Offer here.
    I have seen an old FOI where someone asked all about the waiting list, which is on Internet and might be useful for those on the waiting list.
    Good luck to anyone still waiting to hear and for other interviews - this was my only shot as was rejected from other unis on low UKCAT and am quite a bit older than most, so pretty relieved!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On the waiting list, gahhhhhh. It seems everyone in this thread is on the darn thing!

I scored 64 on the Gamsat, but that is the average of the three not double weighting science, will they work it out the same way? Double weighting mine brings the score down.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...2013%20060.pdf

This is quite interesting for anyone on the waiting list. It seems there was only one point in it - so if you're on the WL, you have the same interview score anyway.

What I don't understand is what is going to happen to the ones who don't get places. It appears that in previous years, they gave you a place for the following year, but this year, I assume you're just going to get told to GTFO?

I take that info to mean that they gave out 104 offers for 100 places which means only 4 people said no thanks. Does not look good!

ReputationRep:
    Rejected. Slightly surprised as have two offers already, and I felt like George's was my best interview. Guess you never know!

Congrats to everyone with offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilfred87)
    On the waiting list, gahhhhhh. It seems everyone in this thread is on the darn thing!

I scored 64 on the Gamsat, but that is the average of the three not double weighting science, will they work it out the same way? Double weighting mine brings the score down.
    Oh jeeez I hope they do it both ways! If you average mine rather than doubling the final section I got 65..

And as if they used to give a deferred place to WL holders! This is a sad day!

ReputationRep:
    Well waitlist crew, I am quite keen to defer as I have a young baby (told you I was old!) so if they let me that is one freed up space!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ceciafb)
    Oh jeeez I hope they do it both ways! If you average mine rather than doubling the final section I got 65..

And as if they used to give a deferred place to WL holders! This is a sad day!
    As I recall, they do it both ways and take the higher. Or at least I thought they did...

ReputationRep:
    For interview I know they do both ways, I've imagine it's the same for wait list though it's not explicitly stated.

Re. Wait list size, I'm estimating 20. I can't imagine many would reject SGUL but they obviously want a contingency plan and 40% of the cohort size seems reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    For interview I know they do both ways, I've imagine it's the same for wait list though it's not explicitly stated.

Re. Wait list size, I'm estimating 20. I can't imagine many would reject SGUL but they obviously want a contingency plan and 40% of the cohort size seems reasonable.
    If there were 18 last year lets be slightly more hopeful and say that, reflecting the cut in places, there are only around 12-15 people on it this year also my dad said this morning 'maybe loads of people will be put off because of that case of the dr being accused of FGM on the news this morning' yes dad, I'm sure that will make people reject their places in the hundreds...

ReputationRep:
    If there were 18 last year lets be slightly more hopeful and say that, reflecting the cut in places, there are only around 12-15 people on it this year also my dad said this morning 'maybe loads of people will be put off because of that case of the dr being accused of FGM on the news this morning' yes dad, I'm sure that will make people reject their places in the hundreds...
    Just read the article. Seems like it may be so, so we just need to off 6 or 7 people then. Also slightly crestfallen that it only seems to be one or two points in it! If only I'd answered that one question better!

I'm liking your dad's thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Offer as well!
    Just got the email a couple hours ago!

Sorry for those of you who have been rejected / wait listed!
    But i do know that a lot of people I met were keeping st.george's as a back up!,
    So for those wait listed you may have good chances! Don't give up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilfred87)
    I take that info to mean that they gave out 104 offers for 100 places which means only 4 people said no thanks. Does not look good!
    Yeah, but I think that that is going to be the original offers and places; I would hope that every time someone declines, someone from the waiting list gets on...

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's really shocking, because it used to be that everyone on the waiting list got a place one way or another and now...?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but I think that that is going to be the original offers and places; I would hope that every time someone declines, someone from the waiting list gets on...
    You're right just totted them up and it comes to 104. It's a mystery how many are offered from the waiting list then, i am going to hazard an optimistic guess and say 463,108 waiting list offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esthersparklebut)
    Rejection. I am so devastated, I feel so emotionally drained. I feel like this rejection doesn't bode well for Swansea. I just don't know what to do, applying again next year is just an unbearable thought. :'(
    I know exactly how you feel. Don't lose hope! Plan for the worst and make preparations for next year, but hope for the best. That's the best we can do. Good luck with swansea! I didn't apply there as I was unsure of how good my GAMSAT would be, wish I had.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.