Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    I'd go with the second option just because that's what I'm interested in. And even though the job security may be less, I'd probably be happier doing that and there are plenty of options within that scope. However, if you're not at a highly ranked university, it might actually be better to do medicine.

I reckon if you did a statistical analysis, lifestyle, job security and salary is probably better for those in medicine on average with less variance. Whereas, in economics, the variance is high with a minority doing extremely well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Surely if you're good enough to do medicine you can find your way into a good uni for economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, put it this way:

You can break into banking having studied medicine.

You can't break into medicine having studied economics/finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've heard about this, a family friend whos a dentist said that 1 or two guys in his year went into banking.
    The thing is you cant get back into dentistry/medicine after easily.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed - never really thought or looked into it like that to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its a really intelligent career choice when you think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    Surely if you're good enough to do medicine you can find your way into a good uni for economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Medicine is AAA, to get into a university for IB etc you'll need more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    Medicine is AAA, to get into a university for IB etc you'll need more than that.
    To get into a university for IB you don't need to take eco, they take on many degrees. Last year you could get into chemical engineering at UCL on AAB. I'm sure other courses too. Medicine students have to do a lot more outside of just getting their 3 A's to stand a chance of getting a place, and most applicants I know actually exceed that minimum AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To get into a university for IB you don't need to take eco, they take on many degrees. Last year you could get into chemical engineering at UCL on AAB. I'm sure other courses too. Medicine students have to do a lot more outside of just getting their 3 A's to stand a chance of getting a place, and most applicants I know actually exceed that minimum AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im well aware that you need more than just AAA grades to get into medicine, dentistry is what im looking at but same thing.
    For IB, and correct me if im wrong, but they also look at a level grades pretty heavily along with the university you graduated from. Someone who got A*AA and went to bristol has more of a chance than someone who got AAB and went to UCL

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it's probably something like Finance or Operations on that salary. That's still good to get into GS though however those roles are less competitive. And I think GS do target Bath for those roles ^. Congrats to them though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably...she did do Finance at QUB...can't remember what the Bath guy did.

ReputationRep:
    Im well aware that you need more than just AAA grades to get into medicine, dentistry is what im looking at but same thing.
    For IB, and correct me if im wrong, but they also look at a level grades pretty heavily along with the university you graduated from. Someone who got A*AA and went to bristol has more of a chance than someone who got AAB and went to UCL
    I'm no IB expert but as far as I know, UCL is a target university, it's in the city of London, and you are going to have some of the best networking opportunities to enter the industry. The only advantage that Bristol student would have is a level grades..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm no IB expert but as far as I know, UCL is a target university, it's in the city of London, and you are going to have some of the best networking opportunities to enter the industry. The only advantage that Bristol student would have is a level grades..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A Level grades are used as filtering by IB recruitment in the initial stages. After that, they carry no weight whatsoever. If you got through first round, it's unlikely anyone will ever look at your grades again - you'll be there for other reasons.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A family friend of mine graduated from dental school along with another classmate and got into IB despite going to sheffield. The one I know got AAAA (bearing in mind this was before the A* grade). When they went to interview, the interviewer said that we've had a few medics and dentists because they've often got similar a level grades and their courses were just as intellectually and physically demanding, if not more.
    But yes, a student from UCL would have more networking since its in London.

ReputationRep:
    A family friend of mine graduated from dental school along with another classmate and got into IB despite going to sheffield. The one I know got AAAA (bearing in mind this was before the A* grade). When they went to interview, the interviewer said that we've had a few medics and dentists because they've often got similar a level grades and their courses were just as intellectually and physically demanding, if not more.
    But yes, a student from UCL would have more networking since its in London.
    If it was before the A* grade then it was likely it was pre-crisis. IBs recruited from a much wider range of universities pre-crisis generally as they hired way more than they do today. Just my two cents.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Actually explain what objection you have or drop the conversation. Do one or the other rather than trying to sound smart.
    To summarise, you made a cocky response to someone who replied to your post talking about Warren Buffet while simultaneously you completely ignored the post above it (2 up for clarity as you're apparently a moron) which entirely dismantled your nonsensical point.

I'm done talking to you now. Feel like I'm having a conversation with a tree.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter what degree (you could even earn £50 k - which isn't really that much - without a degree) it depends on you as a person, whether you're business minded, risk taking and the experience you have to work your way up in organisations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    Doesn't matter what degree (you could even earn £50 k - which isn't really that much - without a degree) it depends on you as a person, whether you're business minded, risk taking and the experience you have to work your way up in organisations.
    60k salary would firmly put you in upper middle class outside of london
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    To summarise, you made a cocky response to someone who replied to your post talking about Warren Buffet while simultaneously you completely ignored the post above it (2 up for clarity as you're apparently a moron) which entirely dismantled your nonsensical point.

I'm done talking to you now. Feel like I'm having a conversation with a tree.
    So, they claim that "you can't beat an investment banker" and claim Warren Buffet is proof for this. Well, clearly if he is only third then it is possible to beat an investment banker, surely if you can't beat them they would occupy the entire list, ergo, they are clearly beatable.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    60k salary would firmly put you in upper middle class outside of london
    Lower, not upper.

ReputationRep:
    Lower, not upper.
    You have no idea what you're talking about kid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lower, not upper.
    LOL.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea what you're talking about kid

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Given that the difference between the sections of the upper class is generally distinguished by background, good luck shifting from working/lower middle to upper middle just by earning 60k, at best you get "middle middle"

ReputationRep:
    Given that the difference between the sections of the upper class is generally distinguished by background, good luck shifting from working/lower middle to upper middle just by earning 60k, at best you get "middle middle"
    You can send your child to an independent schools relatively easily on 60k, thats upper middle class.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.