Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    1) What GCSE's are you taking?

I'm going to be in Yr 11 in September and I'm taking about 9/10 GCSE's:
    English Cambridge IGCSE Extended, Maths, Science (Core Science and Additional Science), RE, French, ICT,History and Child Development. I already did my Core Science exam and ICT exam in May but I think ICT was harder because I couldn't revise properly because I also had my core science exam in the same week as my ICT. I'm doing my English Cambridge IGCSE coursework and my Child Development coursework at the moment as homework. I did my English Literature coursework in March and had to write a 2000 word essay on Macbeth and World War poems. I had 4 hours over 4 lessons to complete it. And my planning really helped me write the essay. The History coursework seemed hard to complete but it was okay. I'm happy I finished the first part of my coursework and I think the second part will hopefully be done this year.

2) What are your expectations of year 11?

I expect Yr 11 to be stressful because of the amount of coursework and exams I will have to do. I think I will be doing about 16/17 exams. I will be continuing with my ICT and Child Development coursework when I get back. My school offers lots of revision classes so I'm hoping to attend those invaluable sessions. But I think I learn more when I'm in a quiet environment with no one around and I put some relaxing music on to help me concentrate. Music also helps me to develop my ideas as well.

3)Are you looking forward to year 11?

I am looking forward to Yr 11 and I just want the year to go quick and get my results. Then it's all about the prom and the well deserved holiday. Can't wait!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Workangel_24)
    Thought I would make an 'advice' thread where Current Year 10s can ask questions about Year 11 and get any advice from me or other year 11s. To get things started:

If you are in year 10 going into year 11:

Hi funkydee19,

I'm going to be in Yr 11 in September and I'm taking about 9 GCSE'S:
    English Cambridge IGCSE Extended, Maths, Science (Core Science and Additional Science), RE, French, ICT,History and Child Development. I already did my Core Science exam and ICT exam in May but I think ICT was harder because I couldn't revise properly because I also had my core science exam in the same week as my ICT. I'm doing my English Cambridge IGCSE coursework and my Child Development coursework at the moment.

I expect Yr 11 to be stressful because of the coursework and exams I will have to do. I think will be doing about 16/17 exams.

I am looking forward to Yr 11 and I just want the year to go quick and get my results.

Oh and I'm a new user in TSR so if you spot any mistake please tell me!!
    First and foremost, welcome to TSR
    If you have any questions regarding year 11, please feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee19)
    1) How was year 11 for you?

2) How many exams did you sit?

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
    1) I actually really enjoyed year 11, the academic rigor definitely increased as suspected but I found the preparation for exams and the intensity of learning much more intellectually fulfilling.

2) 26:eek:

3) Be organised, and really really, do not procrastinate! Make sure you have the correct equipment at all times and don't wait till deadlines to work. Really, revision for the exams at the end of year 11 should start after Christmas, by recapping everything as there's alot to take in!
    I know it's easily said, but when it comes to exam time, make yourself a revision timetable - allowing time for breaks and building in time to do things you like.
    Ensure you don't burn yourself out too - only revise one topic for an hour, giving yourself a quick break every 20 minutes! Eat and sleep well too, definitely eat breakfast - porridge or low sugar cereal is best to keep yourself energised through exams, and also drink lots of water (make sure you take a clear bottle into exams!!)

Most of all, don't become distracted by social issues, as after that year, you'll be off to college/sixth form and worrying about things that aren't important will effect your grades badly and are really not worth you time or energy which could be used more productively.

Best wishes and luck to you all,

Alexandria x

ReputationRep:
    Thought I would make an 'advice' thread where Current Year 10s can ask questions about Year 11 and get any advice from me or other year 11s. To get things started:

And if you have just left year 11:

I have left year 11 so I will answer these questions aha..

Year 11 for me was rather calm for the first few months up to about November. It was mainly trying to finish off coursework. From January onwards it was the piles and piles of stress. But tbh I believe it would have been less stressful if my school did not put so much pressure on us.

22 :eek:

3)What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
    Listen to everything in class, it's most likely to come up in the exam. & You don't necessarily have to start revising from the get go. You will most likely forget everything by time May comes.. I would say revise from January if you feel you will remember. If not start in the Easter Holidays (March/April), if you feel you do better revising closer to the time. I started in February.. had a long break (well not really due to my school ) and restarted in April.

Any other questions? Leave them below, and I or any other person will answer it

hey guys!

i just finished year 11. one thing for sure.. it was really fast; it felt like your life said "Hey! lets fast forward!" so one thing that I will surely say to you guys is: work hard and don't.. for any reason... waste your time. the exams are like this really sneaky shadow that will try and catch you by surprise so before your exams start your revision 3 or 4 months earlier at least. this will make sure that you're really ready for what it takes to ace them. of course! everyone will be like.. hey it's our very last year so let's mess around and chilax! for those of you who really need fab grades... don't agree with them. instead.. just focus on what you really have to do because otherwise you'll regret it for the rest fo your life.

on the other hand.. do enjoy year 11 because it is the last year in school and you will miss your uniform and school: shocking! I know! but it's the truth so believe me you will! make the most of your time and get ready to rub some knuckles with the ferocious exams!

Good luck with year 11 everyone... wish you all happy smiles on the results day of 2015. PS: i hope that the exams are better that year and that you do get second chances at getting the grades that you want in order to show your best performance as a high school student!

ReputationRep:

English lang & lit
    Maths
    Stats
    Triple Science
    Astronomy
    French
    Japanese
    Geography
    Graphics
    (and Ethics in yr 10)

It's going to be really hard, especially my graphics coursework which I am dreading. I will have a lot of work to do to improve my grades and so I'll probably far more busy than in yr10

Not really, because of the stress of exams and knowing that this is the last year I will see my friends, which is sad

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    I have just finished secondary education and am off to uni this coming october.
    Speaking with hindsight, it really was harder than it needed to be. I was in Year 11 in 2011, where half of my exams for my GCSE were already completed. I took extra GCSE's (13 in total) and therefore still had loads of exams. Get in the habit of writing up and organising notes, you can get through the rest of your previous school years without this, but once you get to A-level (Year 12,13), the expectation increases dramatically.
    It was successful though (9 A*, 3 A) and generally had loads of light hearted fun with friends

I think about 25, yeah, it was rough and I had early entry AS Maths as part of that as well.

3) What advice would you give to Yr 11's?
    Relax, and stick to deadlines/plans, just keeping with up your work throughout the year, working extremely hard when required during revision time, will get you strong GCSE results. Unlike A-level, GCSE's dont demand loads of independent thinking, memorising notes and standard exam answers.
    Ask around for help, if your way of doing things doesn't work, like if you feel you're not getting the results you want in class, learn what other people are doing. Textbooks, on-line revision websites

THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT: find out what you enjoy doing and not just what is easy for you through GCSE subjects, explore your interests, when you do A levels, which are like the be-all and end-all, you will be wanting to work hard on something you genuinely like doing.
    Another thing is just casually reading around, magazines and websites. Doing these things in your routine have a positive effect on your studies going forward.
    Enjoy yourself though, being 15/16 is a good time, you're old enough to go out with friends but not so old enough that you have loads of responsibilities.

Panicking over exams is the worst, so just be prepared and be focused when you need to be. Good luck

I always look back and wish someone had given me advice. I am happy to answer any questions people have.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into Y13 but remember Y11 fondly...

Tons of fun! Yeah the exams were stressful, but in all honesty they weren't that bad. I didn't revise as much as I should have done, but still did pretty well. ISAs and coursework are designed to assess different things to exams, so don't get stressed over those. If you put in work, coursework is your friend.
    Loved year 11 because there's that sense of achievement at the end, but without the ridiculous stress of A levels.

25 ish I think? But survived them all so it's cool

Listen in class, do your homework, put the effort in for coursework. Don't stress out all year for exams, because you'll go insane. Start revising late April ish, unless you actually listened in class all year. If you worked reasonably well all year, you can get away with revising in May.
    Mostly though, enjoy it. It is a big step up next year and you'll have to work hard all year, so do chill out and enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    Oh also Youtube videos are your best friends! MrBruff for English was a god-send, along with myGCSEscience. There's also a few good maths channels which are fab for getting your head round tricky things.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=funkydee19;48618009]Thought I would make an 'advice' thread where Current Year 10s can ask questions about Year 11 and get any advice from me or other year 11s. To get things started:

geography, health and social care, history
    I am so nervous about the mocks and the real exams
    yes a bit

ReputationRep:

Hiii guys!

1) I'm taking: English Language/Lit, Maths, Further Maths (maybe), Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography, History, French, Spanish, Latin and Ancient Greek

2) I think Y11 is going to be hard work (obvs) and especially with Maths, English and Science I think the difficulty will increase. Saying that the work also looks more challanging and interesting especially in Latin and Greek.

3) I'm kinda really excited to go back but I was soooo stressed in Year 10 and I know Year 11 will be even more work. I do enjoy a lot of my subjects though so maybe it won't be so bad-trying to remain optimistic

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I know it's a bit late but I have a question at the end of this:
    English lit & lang, maths(maybe further..?), core(got and A!!!) & additional science, ICT, French, Geography, Music and German.
    Stressful at the end of it (from what I've read so far), hard and with some pressure from the prefect position I got.
    Yeah, and I'm looking forward to the end of it because apparently this is going to be the year I have to work hardest in, in order to reach the goals I have..

And a question-
    I have set some really high goals for myself for uni, because I just reallllllllllllllly want to get into one of the big ones (Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, MIT etc..) but the only bolder standing in the way is when it comes to revising/homework as I am such a big procrastinator :/ I don't know how to get out of it and hw that's meant to take 20mins suddenly takes 40mins+.... Please send some advice/motivation! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If your going into Year 11, then start revising as soon as possible. Teachers put so much pressure on you to finish off coursework, hand in work, go back afterschool etc. they make it so stressful! It's all worth it at the end though when you get the results you were hoping for!!

ReputationRep:

Started off really well. Then I didn't work hard enough for January exams and was a little disappointed when results came around. Over all I Definitely felt that there was more work especially after January exams because you're trying to finish so many things off at the same time. Over all I felt more motivated and had learnt my own style of revising, so I felt much more comfortable.

January - 9
    Summer - 20 (But i re-sat 5 - Maths Applications+Methods Unit 1, English Language Paper 1+2 and Physics 1)

When you get coursework, do it straight away to avoid mountains of work. Begin doing your revision notes around 2.5 months before your exams start. For summer exams really begin to knuckle down in the 2 weeks of Easter brake, to begin getting into a routine of revision. If you don't understand anything, ask your teachers straight away, so when you get to the more challenging aspects of the work, you actually understand it. Make sure you know how you like to revise and effectively learn information.

Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:

It was fun as i took gcse music and i did a lot of performances with my friends. It became a bit harder when i had to revise for 11 subjects that were all completely different and all my exams at the end of the year everything a bit hectic but it was ok!!

Revise early like in december or before because that gives you lots of time in the summer to do past papers and go over topics in more detail. also have fun as well

ReputationRep:
    sd

ReputationRep:

Although in year 10 I was quite nervous about the stress of looming exams and high expectations, I found that the pressure and pace of work in year 11 was actually far lower than anticipated. I thought January mocks prepared me well for Summer exams. In addition to this, classes were largely just revision sessions which were pretty laidback. The extended holiday at the end of it all was definitely worth the hassle of exams. Probably my favourite year so far.

22 I think?

Don't compare the amount of revision you do to others. Someone might do 10 hours for one exam and get a C. Someone else might do an hour and get an A*. Just ensure you understand everything as you go along, asking questions if you don't. This will truly minimise the amount of revision you have to do at the end as it's merely a refresh. I also strongly recommend past papers as often as possible. Exam boards tend to use similar questions year upon year, but they're just phrased slightly differently. A final note - have fun! Don't just let your life revolve around exams. Strike a balance.

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    English Lang&Lit
    Triple science
    History
    Business
    French
    Ict
    D&T

I'm expecting it to be quite stressful because of the amount of coursework and exams I will have to do. I'm also expecting that a lot of Hard work and Revision will be needed

3) Are you looking Forward to Year 11?
    I guess you can say that, to be honest I just want to put the work in and get the year over and done with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sefty)
    I did double languages too, I took Spanish and French and got an A* and an A in them respectively. The best advice I can give you is practise all the time with your languages, and if you can associate certains words/stems with each other, that really hepled me in my exams Also be glad that most language exams are over and done with pretty soon!
    Thank you so much for the advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English literature + language,Maths,Science,ICT,Fine Art,Resistant Materials,Geography, Philosophy and Ethics short and long course.
    I'm not too sure on what to expect. I think that it will be a bit like last year apart from more work, less free time and more headaches!If you are in year 10 going into year 11:
    I'm pretty nervous as many of my teachers have left or retired (about 12 teachers have left in the summer) so I hope my new ones are as good as last year or better! Also I'm a little nervous about my classes and who is in them. But I'm looking forward to getting stuff done etc.

ReputationRep:

And if you have just left year 11:

I have left year 11 so I will answer these questions aha..

Year 11 for me was rather calm for the first few months up to about November. It was mainly trying to finish off coursework. From January onwards it was the piles and piles of stress. But tbh I believe it would have been less stressful if my school did not put so much pressure on us.

22 :eek:

Listen to everything in class, it's most likely to come up in the exam. & You don't necessarily have to start revising from the get go. You will most likely forget everything by time May comes.. I would say revise from January if you feel you will remember. If not start in the Easter Holidays (March/April), if you feel you do better revising closer to the time. I started in February.. had a long break (well not really due to my school ) and restarted in April.

Any other questions? Leave them below, and I or any other person will answer it

I've just finished year 11 so...
    1) Not too bad actually
    2) 26
    3) Start making notes early! I had all my class notes on my computer so I could just copy and paste them together to make revision notes, but even still it took me ages!! Also, check exactly what boards and modules you're doing - a friend of mine was doing the wrong practice paper for music until the day before her actual exam. Don't ignore mocks - I found that when it came to the real exams, I remembered a lot of the stuff I had revised for my mocks, so I could really focus on the stuff we'd learnt since then. Mocks also give you a good idea where you are losing marks, so make sure you take note and focus on those areas when revising. Lastly, keep on top of coursework. I had coursework for geography, english, english lit and graphic design (I did IGCSE's), and with both graphics and geography, because they were longer projects, I fell behind. BIG MISTAKE!! Keep on top, even if it means spending an extra hour after school every week - its better than staying till 8 every day for two weeks, which is what i ended up doing for graphics...!!

Good luck to any new year 11's!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.