My heart goes out to you!!! Are your parents gna help? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojojojo)
    Maintenance Loan: £3610
    Maintenance Grant: £0
    Bursaries: £0
    Scholarships: £0
    Savings: £5000 in an ISA from a part time job. I don't want to touch it though!
    Money from Parents: £0
    Accommodation cost £3927

Going to try and get a job, there else I won't be able to afford food! It's so annoying how everything is based on your parents income when they may not be able or willing to help you. Your loan should at least cover accommodation!
    me too.Got nothing but maintainence loan .which is 3610.I think I'll have to work to support myself.Acc is >5000 (catered)
    &I don't have any savings -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameliasophia)
    Maintenance Loan: £3610
    Maintenance Grant: £3387
    Bursaries: £1000
    Scholarships: £0
    Savings: £0
    Money from Parents: £3500
    Accommodation cost £3500

Idk how to work that out per week tbh
    £3,610 + £3,387 + £1,000 + £3,500 = £11,497
    £11,497 - £3,500 = £7,997
    £7,997 / Contract Length = ??
    Weekly spend after Accommodation = ??

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: £5750
    Maintenance Grant: don't know what this is haha
    Bursaries: £500
    Scholarships: none
    Savings: £6500 from working on my gap year. Saving this for a car when I am on placements.
    Money from Parents: £200pcm

Accommodation Cost: £4680 per year (12 month lease)
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £70 (including summer) but I'm going to live in a tenement so will probably be spending a considerable amount on heating haha.

We are only £500 over one of the income brackets which is really annoying! So glad the loans have went up because my sister had to drop out the first time because she couldn't afford to eat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowclare)
    Maintenance Loan: £5750
    Maintenance Grant: don't know what this is haha
    Bursaries: £500
    Scholarships: none
    Savings: £6500 from working on my gap year. Saving this for a car when I am on placements.
    Money from Parents: £200pcm

Accommodation Cost: £4680 per year (12 month lease)
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £70 (including summer) but I'm going to live in a tenement so will probably be spending a considerable amount on heating haha.

We are only £500 over one of the income brackets which is really annoying! So glad the loans have went up because my sister had to drop out the first time because she couldn't afford to eat
    A grant is money you get and dont have to pay back.
    Also, if youre after a good car for that amount a dacia sandero is about 6k new. And its a really good car. Cheap to run etc (totally not biased)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah! See I just call that bursary, Scottish system is very different.
    I'm probably a bit premature with the car thing haha since I STILL haven't passed the stupid test.
    Third time lucky!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowclare)
    Ah! See I just call that bursary, Scottish system is very different.
    I'm probably a bit premature with the car thing haha since I STILL haven't passed the stupid test.
    Third time lucky!
    Bursarys are given by the school itself tho..
    Well i see them as different.

I had my car before i passed.. but thats just how my family is
    But if youre wanting a new car, id suggest it for that price :3 (its a sauna in summer tho as theres no a/c.. it does however have bluetooth.. winsome you lose some..)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    Sounds awesome. What would you like to do for a career?
    I'd like to be an Opera Singer. Tis my crazy dream.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrietROAR)
    No. But i live in london currently and live off less than that a week (not including petrol) but i buy the majority of my food myself etc x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So it is doable on less than what I was planning to earn? I just thought the cost of living would be really expensive but that makes me feel a lot better not needing to work as much as I'll mostly be buying my own food and stuff

ReputationRep:
    I don't even wanna begin working out how much I'll be able to spend per week. I just know that my loan doesn't cover accommodation and I don't get any other kind of funding. There better be a job for me at uni otherwise I'm screwed to the max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v1k2a3t4)
    So it is doable on less than what I was planning to earn? I just thought the cost of living would be really expensive but that makes me feel a lot better not needing to work as much as I'll mostly be buying my own food and stuff
    I do work too but it is possible, you learn where to shop etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by einnap101)
    I don't even wanna begin working out how much I'll be able to spend per week. I just know that my loan doesn't cover accommodation and I don't get any other kind of funding. There better be a job for me at uni otherwise I'm screwed to the max.
    Approx how many hours you planning to work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by livealittle)
    Approx how many hours you planning to work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As many as I possibly can. I mean, I honestly have like no idea, haven't really looked into it yet! The amount other people on here are getting is just so sad

ReputationRep:
    As many as I possibly can. I mean, I honestly have like no idea, haven't really looked into it yet! The amount other people on here are getting is just so sad
    I know .I hate how they base it on this whole household income criteria.
    Well sorry our parents bother to go to work 6 days a week:| Even on Christmas Day.
    Same.I think (if I go to uni) I'll try to do as much as I can.My course is 25+ hours a week with a few 9-5s.Idk how that's going to work out tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know .I hate how they base it on this whole household income criteria.
    Well sorry our parents bother to go to work 6 days a week:| Even on Christmas Day.
    Same.I think (if I go to uni) I'll try to do as much as I can.My course is 25+ hours a week with a few 9-5s.Idk how that's going to work out tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's gonna be hard but definitely worth it (I hope!). What course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    It's gonna be hard but definitely worth it (I hope!). What course are you doing?
    Pharmacy (Hopefully!!).Questioning my future after some exams this exam season.wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacy (Hopefully!!).Questioning my future after some exams this exam season

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's cool! I'm questioning my grades too haha! I've applied to do Law!

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: 3610
    Maintenance Grant: 3387
    Bursaries: 2000 (1000 for 1st year. 500 for 2nd year and 500 3rd year)
    Higher allowance from SF: 1945 (was entitled to extra due to being in a household that earns less then 14,000 a year)
    Scholarships: 0
    Savings: 0 (I work atleast 70 hours a month but all my money goes to my mum for rent, driving lessons and bus travel... i run out of money 2 days after i get paid)
    Money from Parents:
    0 (dont make me laugh as if my mum would ever give me money.)

Each term I get 2332

Accommodation Cost: 1398 a term (116.5 a week)
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: (left over for the term 934) 131 a week (but im giving myself a limit of 70 a week. 20 a week to pay back my credit card and phone bill at the end of the month)

** terms are 10-13 weeks and there are 3 terms in a year, half terms dont count for anything

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's cool! I'm questioning my grades too haha! I've applied to do Law!
    Forgot to ask you what you applied for on my previous post.Ive edited it now.Law sounds difficult:O

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to ask you what you applied for on my previous post.Ive edited it now.Law sounds difficult:O

Posted from TSR Mobile

Won't know till I get there but yeah I've heard it's hard. It's kind of off-putting when you tell someone you want to do Law and they're like 'Law's hard maybe you should pick something else' as if I'm not capable haha! I guess if you enjoy something you'll like doing the work though right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.