Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do you think is the best uni asking for 3 A's, mainly in terms of employment prospects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username13)
    What do you think is the best uni asking for 3 A's, mainly in terms of employment prospects?
    The only one I can think of is Birmingham and sometimes Bath with their contextual offer. All the others are A*AA or AAB and below.
    This is just for pure economics though, many good unis do joint economic courses with AAA entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magnetic19)
    It will be hard but is possible! The issue is that you have to tailor your personal statement to your first choice uni so if oxford PPE is your first choice then you need to include the relevant phil and politics but it depends where else your applying for? Have you considered E&M at oxford instead? Would be much easier to tailor it. Where else you thinking of applying? We do the same subjects!
    thanks for the reply man , i think im just going to apply for economics now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhytan)
    I am looking to study Economics at university. I have achieved 5A* 4A at GCSE, and i reckon that i will be predicted A* A A , at A level. A's being in further maths and physics, and A* being in economics. iI completed A-Level maths in 1 year and achieved an A.

A level maths -82 ums ), will be predicted an A in further maths for next year as i achieved an A in maths in this year
    as level economics- 90ums
    as physics - 87ums

I will be retaking C3 & C4 to achieve my A* in maths.

I have gained loads of work experience in investment management firms and HSBC, have gone to loads of lectures and read about 8 books on economics

What are the best universities that i can hope for, that will accept me with these grades?
    You can't apply for straight economics at cambridge or LSE realistically with at least 90 UMS in AS Maths. (There would be no courses I think you can apply to Cambridge with, with that subject combination and those grades)The standard offer is A*AA, A* specified in maths. However there are many other courses at LSE that you would be able to apply. They offer economics with a number of other areas like international relations and government. You would also be able to apply for oxford's economics and management course which is not as mathematically intensive as Cambridge's/LSE's courses and thus does not require the A*.

Best to check with your higher education department at school. They might advise you to take a subject like history or politics to gear you towards a stronger oxford application.

*even if you do achieve the maths A* Cambridge 'frown' upon retakes especially when they are in a subject that is pivotal within the subject and within their course.

no this should be fine as your predictions are higher than all the offers
      Should I maybe apply for an A*AA course such as at York, or would that be a waste of space on my UCAS form?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by a320airbus97)
      Should I maybe apply for an A*AA course such as at York, or would that be a waste of space on my UCAS form?
      You could always apply as a bit more of a what if, you've got 4 other choices so 1 A*AA uni could be alright, although I'm not 100% convinced whether you'd get an offer with your AS results

ReputationRep:
      Do universities respect biology as an A-Level if you wanna do economics?
      Bearing in mind I am doing Economics and Maths A2 as well
      Any advice would be great

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jayjay531)
      Do universities respect biology as an A-Level if you wanna do economics?
      Bearing in mind I am doing Economics and Maths A2 as well
      Any advice would be great
      Yes it classes as a facilitating subject so I can't see why there'd be any issue with it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
      Yes it classes as a facilitating subject so I can't see why there'd be any issue with it
      what do you mean by facilitating ?

You could always apply as a bit more of a what if, you've got 4 other choices so 1 A*AA uni could be alright, although I'm not 100% convinced whether you'd get an offer with your AS results
        Ok, in that case I'll probably just apply for unis with AAA or below. Can you think of any other universities (with good job prospects) that I should consider applying to?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by jayjay531)
        what do you mean by facilitating ?
        A good fairly taxing A-level (basically not soft/'mickey mouse')

ReputationRep:
        Ok, in that case I'll probably just apply for unis with AAA or below. Can you think of any other universities (with good job prospects) that I should consider applying to?
        It really is up to you though, like I said you have 4 other choices so if you really want to give York a shot apply there

And sorry but I'm not too sure, the ones you said in your other post on the thread seemed pretty good though

It really is up to you though, like I said you have 4 other choices so if you really want to give York a shot apply there

And sorry but I'm not too sure, the ones you said in your other post on the thread seemed pretty good though
          Thanks a lot for your input, and good luck with your own application

ReputationRep:
          Leeds, Edinburgh and lancaster!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by patrickcromb96)
          thanks for the reply man , i think im just going to apply for economics now
          yeah thats my plan. in an ideal world E&M at oxford would be the first choice but not sure im going to bother applying as i would definitely be weaker than lots of other applicants. where else where you thinking?

(Original post by Nikmali)
            Leeds, Edinburgh and lancaster!

Posted from TSR Mobile
            Thanks!

ReputationRep:
            you could always try. sometimes you never know what the top unis are really looking for. Thats my plan with oxford! putting it down just in case! then doing significantly easier ones for the other four

you could always try. sometimes you never know what the top unis are really looking for. Thats my plan with oxford! putting it down just in case! then doing significantly easier ones for the other four
              I'm just worried that top universities would automatically reject me because of my average AS grades, which is a reason why I want to play it safe and apply for AAA to ABB unis. However, I don't want to miss out on a place at a top university just because I was taking a conservative approach.

ReputationRep:
              I'm just worried that top universities would automatically reject me because of my average AS grades, which is a reason why I want to play it safe and apply for AAA to ABB unis. However, I don't want to miss out on a place at a top university just because I was taking a conservative approach.
              this is my issue too. i thought i may as well give one really aspirational one a shot

ReputationRep:
              Hope you remember me, ninjapanda

So I *think* I have narrowed down my 5 choices. Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham, Glasgow, Leicester.. Although, I have queen marys competing with birmingham for the third spot and manchester competing with glasgow for fourth.

Anyone here has a opinion on queen mary? They pushed up their entry requirements to AAA from AAB just this year, seems to have great graduate prospects and is the only on-campus uni in london. besides that, i don't know much, im afraid..

glasgow's campus looks like freaking hogwartssss.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.