OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015 Watch

OrionMusicNet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Makashima)
Wow very informative
Did you do the notes as you went through the spec?
Yeah pretty much. Some of it was from the book but I have added extra things in that the book has missed out and mnemonics (some our from my teacher). I have unit 2 notes as well if you want them:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/1blv5a...Finished).docx
Yousf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by keynes24)
It has been discussed before, if you go a few pages back I posted one and other have done the same. Have a look and try to come up with a structure, if you post it I can give you some feedback.
i cant find it
Yousf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
how does smoking lead to negative externalities??
justfly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can someone help me with determinants of demand/supply questions, for e.g I always get 2/3 or 1/3 for my explanation of how a certain factor will increase demand/supply - how can I make sure I'm hitting the right marks and not waffling!

By the way I do know all the determinants of supply and demand and how they influence each its just that I can never be too specific to get 3/3!
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by justfly)
Can someone help me with determinants of demand/supply questions, for e.g I always get 2/3 or 1/3 for my explanation of how a certain factor will increase demand/supply - how can I make sure I'm hitting the right marks and not waffling!

By the way I do know all the determinants of supply and demand and how they influence each its just that I can never be too specific to get 3/3!
Have you look at the mark scheme? Can you provide an example?
Rosie213
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yousf)
how does smoking lead to negative externalities??
the marginal social costs of smoking (both private and external costs aka to those who smoke and therefore waste all their money and can't afford fruit and veg, to the NHS for smoking-related illnesses, to those experiencing second-hand smoke,) are higher than the marginal private costs (only those smoking aka lack of available real disposable income) = welfare loss

also cigarettes are over-consumed as they are addictive = market level of output above the socially optimum level of output = welfare loss

try to imagine it on a diagram - it helps me
Super199
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can someone explain information provision and state provision to me.

How do you correct information failure?

How and when do you use tradeable permits?
Makashima
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Super199)
Can someone explain information provision and state provision to me.

How do you correct information failure?

How and when do you use tradeable permits?
Information provision, if we are thinking the same thing ie provisional of information, a way of government intervention to correct market failure...

Alcohol, a demerit good ie oversumed which bring many neg ext e.g. liver illnesses > strain on NHS and our tax revenue is affected or usually people get into crimes/fights etc

You provide info to the consumer saying, alcohol is very bad for you, you can die due to liver cancer etc etc etc

This changes the consumer behaviour towards to alcohol like "omg this is bad, i shouldnt consume it", which then reduces their demand of alcohol, demand falls, quantity falls Q1 to Q2...showing less consumption now, so the market failure is reduced but not completely eliminated

not sure what is state of provision, never taught

correct me if im wrong :P
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
State provision is when the government provide merit (NHS) and public goods
Yousf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rosie213)
the marginal social costs of smoking (both private and external costs aka to those who smoke and therefore waste all their money and can't afford fruit and veg, to the NHS for smoking-related illnesses, to those experiencing second-hand smoke,) are higher than the marginal private costs (only those smoking aka lack of available real disposable income) = welfare loss

also cigarettes are over-consumed as they are addictive = market level of output above the socially optimum level of output = welfare loss

try to imagine it on a diagram - it helps me
i'm not gona use a externality graph in my 18marker
Yousf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For elasticity questions, when we comment saying data are estimates, change over time, liable to inaaccucies, how do i explain these. For instance, how do i prove data are estimates, or explain/prove how they can change over time?
Makashima
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yousf)
how do i prove data are estimates

they usually say it next to the given data...
Attached files
Yousf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

they usually say it next to the given data...
So could i just say, the data are estimates as it is mentioned in the article, and then say as a result of them being estimates they can be liable to inccauricies..?
Makashima
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yousf)
So could i just say, the data are estimates as it is mentioned in the article, and then say as a result of them being estimates they can be liable to inccauricies..?

Yes, from all the mark schemes Ive seen they award it as 1 mark only though, but the comment is like 2-3 marks right so you gotta say other stuff too?

"These are only estimates thus it is not reliable and not accurate"

You can say data changes over time or if the data was like 2 years ago you can say it is out of date thus not applicable,

In some year they award it another mark but in other years they counted as 1 mark with the estimate comment...Lets hope examiner be lenient and award it each separately so 2 marks cos I always put these two points defooo
Yousf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, from all the mark schemes Ive seen they award it as 1 mark only though, but the comment is like 2-3 marks right so you gotta say other stuff too?

"These are only estimates thus it is not reliable and not accurate"

You can say data changes over time or if the data was like 2 years ago you can say it is out of date thus not applicable,

In some year they award it another mark but in other years they counted as 1 mark with the estimate comment...Lets hope examiner be lenient and award it each separately so 2 marks cos I always put these two points defooo
Kl, its just that i saw it in a tutorial that if you simply state data are estimates you will not get a mark:eek: which got me worried..
Makashima
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yousf)
Kl, its just that i saw it in a tutorial that if you simply state data are estimates you will not get a mark:eek: which got me worried..

Literally what I typed is what it says in the mark scheme...

Hope they continue to award it a mark ahehe

So if you just wrote these are estimates then yeah no mark. You need to explain how it is an issue ie not reliable and not accurate
keynes24
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yousf)
Then the tutorial is wrong. Even if the data doesn't indicate estimates, any calculation for any type of elasticity is an estimate. It has been awarded before and it has to be awarded in the future.
justfly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Will someone check this essay out? be honest etc
OrionMusicNet
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by justfly)
Will someone check this essay out? be honest etc
1. For the first page I would have defined regulations the same as you did but also adding that they are imposed by the government.
2. On the third page I would break up the definition and mentioning that producers pass the tax on to consumers as it is a bit confusing to read as it sounds like the part about producers passing on the tax is part of the definition.
3. On the third page also you made a small mistake as you said "decreasing supply, increasing supply" when I think you meant to say increasing price.
4. On the third page you also say "like a subsidy" which is a bit confusing as you haven't mentioned them before and so I wouldn't bother mentioning the "like a subsidy" part.
5. On the third page I would have said that regulations are "the most effective solution" or "not the most effective solution" rather than saying it is a "suitable solution". It is quite pedantic but the question does ask if it is the "most effective" so you don't want to lose marks and get capped for something so small just because you didn't technically answer the question.
5. I would have also made the conclusion a bit longer and said that I thought regulations were more effective than an indirect tax as it is very possible that the PED for sunbeds is inelastic so the producers will likely pass most of it onto the consumers and so it is more likely that the level of indirect tax will be too small and not solve the market failure in comparison to the extent of the regulation which is more likely to be correct.
I know I probably sounded really negative but it was actually a very good essay and you did well on the analysis which is actually where most people usually get capped. My main suggestion would just be to watch out for little mistakes and make sure that your conclusion isn't too weak as it would be a shame to lose a mark because you didn't write enough for the conclusion.
I made some notes on both unit 1 and unit 2 and both of them have one model 18 marker so I hope they help.

Unit 1 Notes:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/4ait8a...vel_Notes.docx

Unit 2 Notes:
Yousf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by OrionMusicNet)
1. For the first page I would have defined regulations the same as you did but also adding that they are imposed by the government.
2. On the third page I would break up the definition and mentioning that producers pass the tax on to consumers as it is a bit confusing to read as it sounds like the part about producers passing on the tax is part of the definition.
3. On the third page also you made a small mistake as you said "decreasing supply, increasing supply" when I think you meant to say increasing price.
4. On the third page you also say "like a subsidy" which is a bit confusing as you haven't mentioned them before and so I wouldn't bother mentioning the "like a subsidy" part.
5. On the third page I would have said that regulations are "the most effective solution" or "not the most effective solution" rather than saying it is a "suitable solution". It is quite pedantic but the question does ask if it is the "most effective" so you don't want to lose marks and get capped for something so small just because you didn't technically answer the question.
5. I would have also made the conclusion a bit longer and said that I thought regulations were more effective than an indirect tax as it is very possible that the PED for sunbeds is inelastic so the producers will likely pass most of it onto the consumers and so it is more likely that the level of indirect tax will be too small and not solve the market failure in comparison to the extent of the regulation which is more likely to be correct.
I know I probably sounded really negative but it was actually a very good essay and you did well on the analysis which is actually where most people usually get capped. My main suggestion would just be to watch out for little mistakes and make sure that your conclusion isn't too weak as it would be a shame to lose a mark because you didn't write enough for the conclusion.
I made some notes on both unit 1 and unit 2 and both of them have one model 18 marker so I hope they help.

Unit 1 Notes:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/4ait8a...vel_Notes.docx

Unit 2 Notes:
Dont you have to talk also about supply decreasing in that essay as well because the regulations affect both consumers and producers..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (146)
38.32%
No - but I will (21)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (186)
48.82%

Watched Threads