Turn on thread page Beta

Badges are live.... beta rollout! watch

• View Poll Results: What would you like to name the recognition system
    Badges
    61.61%
    Shields
    30.36%
    Something else (please post in the thread)
    8.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Most forums have this kind of system, our beta rollout is very basic in comparison at the moment but we have further plans to develop it.
    I think you responded to a different question to the one I asked. What is the actual point of this system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    I think you responded to a different question to the one I asked. What is the actual point of this system?
    It's to encourage members to stay on the website because many of them only come there to ask a question in the study help and then leave.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Does the bagdes which I got remain forever? what if I got all three badges? is a rise still possible?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Does the bagdes which I got remain forever? what if I got all three badges? is a rise still possible?
    Once you have the badge, you won't lost it - this is still in beta, but more badges and levels will be being added!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Once you have the badge, you won't lost it - this is still in beta, but more badges and levels will be being added!
    Fine. More badges in more categories? by the way I am satisfied with the current look of the badges.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Fine. More badges in more categories? by the way I am satisfied with the current look of the badges.
    Yup, there'll be more categories in the future!

ReputationRep:
    Everybody has three badges now. Not fun anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I still only have 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    I still only have 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then it's still fun for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    More will be added at some point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    It's to encourage members to stay on the website because many of them only come there to ask a question in the study help and then leave.
    And you think it will?

ReputationRep:
    And you think it will?
    Not currently, but if the system is seriously improved it will probably have an impact. I'd say it's just the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Not currently, but if the system is seriously improved it will probably have an impact. I'd say it's just the beginning.
    So you are non-committal.

I am going to stick my neck out here and say that anyone over 12 will not care.

ReputationRep:
    So you are non-committal.

I am going to stick my neck out here and say that anyone over 12 will not care.
    It has no impact on me as well as on everyone, but perhaps if the system improves, the younger members preparing their gcse (and still playing Skyrim & Final Fantasy) may find the system somewhat attractive and will stay a bit longer. Currently they only come to ask a question from their exercise sheet and then never come back.

ReputationRep:
    Just got 2 badges?

Clever Clogs and Hero?
    Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Just got 2 badges?

Clever Clogs and Hero?
    You don't post enough.

ReputationRep:
    I try so hard not to be critical nowadays.

But this whole concept brings to my mind an image of TSR HQ with a bunch of people sitting round a table having let age creep up on them. They're not 22 or 23 anymore, but 26, 27, maybe 30 years old. They have more in common with their own parents than a 14-16 year old.

"How do we get down with the kids?"
    "Well, we could - y'know be like all down with them. Like Glee and totally Gangham Style."
    "Whoa there cowgirl. Are you suggesting like something happening and cool?"
    "Straight from the fridge, dad. I'm thinking little badges like little mini-Duke of Edinburgh awards for them"
    [*One of the CT stands up and claps slowly. The others aren't far behind.]

++++

I just fail to see how this will achieve any of your desired objectives. I'm not even convinced that the whole idea of trying to retain 15-16 year olds is possible or even a good idea. They've got really short attention spans, generally no fixed idea of what they want to do next week (nevermind next year) and don't have the hormones or personal freedoms to conform to the TSR archetypes. More importantly, they have no effective money to spend on whatever revenue model TSR is pursuing. Moreover, I'm not entirely sure how any impact or benefit of this (to TSR) is going to be measured - aside from the usual TSR thing of waiting 12 weeks and declaring it an unqualified success regardless of the actual outcome.

I think you need to stop using development time and money on ancillary gimmicks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Just got 2 badges?

Clever Clogs and Hero?
    I would say so. Normally badges are awared whenever someone did an excellent or an honorable act.

ReputationRep:
    I would say so. Normally badges are awared whenever someone did an excellent or an honorable act.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but they are given out when certain criteria are met. Nothing more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with TSR with most of the recent changes (bar the notification bar which is a welcome change). I can't understand why I need a badge :confused: My first thoughts were that the website is becoming more and more childish with every update.

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I don't really see much point in the badge system if I'm being honest. What I think most people would much prefer is the resurrection of neg rep, but for some mysterious reason the CT seems to ignore our opinion on that..
    I'm like an old man, I still can't accept that neg rep has gone. Bring back the negs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.