Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    Perhaps we will see the hundreds of thousands of them that live around Paris in the square where they are protesting, holding placards saying " I am a Muslim- not in my name! "
    Can but hope.
    why should they protest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_guns)
    Actually, the evidence from Twitter suggests many of them are cheering on this vile attack.
    I am talking about the Muslims that I personally know.
    No doubt there will be some trying to justify the attack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Decorpi12)
    Security should be tightened even further.
    Urgh.

I like their response to the firebombing.

ReputationRep:
    Every national newspaper and magazine should print the images on their front pages in solidarity a week from today.
    Every Shop office and home should do the same.

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly the same situation as with Rushdie; it's pure medieval barbarism.

And those leftists who constantly tell us islamists do have legitimate grievances, that this is really about American/Israeli foreign policy... well, all of their pathetic excuses for these medievalists are bunk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon_g)
    "Religion of Peace strikes again"
    You mean a small group of people from a very large group of people strike again*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_guns)
    So you're saying these people on Twitter are not actually people? Or that they don't really believe what they're saying? :dunce:
    No I am not saying they are not people. The internet is full of trolls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe01223)
    why should they protest?
    Are you for real.
    Because I and a million others did so in London before the invasion of Iraq.
    It is time for non radical Muslims to stand up and show that they don't want this.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

This is from the BBC website
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-30710777
    Statement from Salman Rushdie, British author. The Booker Prize-winning writer has released the following statement:

"Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms.

"This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today.

"I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity.

"'Respect for religion' has become a code phrase meaning 'fear of religion.' Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect."

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radicalathiest)
    So what should the backlash be against muslims then?
    Yeah lets charge all of them for the mistakes of a few, are you crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Are you for real.
    It is time for non radical Muslims to stand up and show that they don't want this.
    How can muslims be non-radical. They are either hypocrites in my opinion or radical. If you call yourself a muslim then you are obliged to follow its main rules, in particular CONDEMN many things that are acceptable in europe. E.g. homosexuality, freedom of speech - including cartoons about muhammed and allah etc...

ReputationRep:
    Are you for real.
    well done for protesting against the invasion of Iraq!

Did they listen? No! they didnt give a toss!

If muslims protested, no one would care and it would fall on deaf ears. The media would not report it as its far too opposite of what they want to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)

Statement from Salman Rushdie, British author. The Booker Prize-winning writer has released the following statement:

"Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms.

"This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today.

"I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity.

"'Respect for religion' has become a code phrase meaning 'fear of religion.' Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect."

Thoughts?
    I completely agree with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    Yeah lets charge all of them for the mistakes of a few, are you crazy.
    Not what I said (straw-man)

a Muslim said 'Yes, the company should have faced some sort of backlash but not murder.'

So I asked what should the backlash against Muslims be

As I didn't ask you I don't know why you decided to reply to only my half of the thread:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe01223)
    well done for protesting against the invasion of Iraq!

Did they listen? No! they didnt give a toss!

If muslims protested, no one would care and it would fall on deaf ears. The media would not report it as its far too opposite of what they want to see.
    Yes that's right. If a million Muslims protested against this barbarism in Paris, it wouldn't be reported on would it.

Tell you what, give it a go anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radicalathiest)
    Not what I said (straw-man)

a Muslim said 'Yes, the company should have faced some sort of backlash but not murder.'

So I asked what should the backlash against Muslims be

As I didn't ask you I don't know why you decided to reply to only my half of the thread:rolleyes:
    By refering to mulsims you refere to everyone that has ties to the religion. Maybe you should be more specific and say what should the backlash against the gun men should be.

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
    Salman Rushdie knows of what he speaks; he more than almost anyone in the Western world understands how regressive and intolerant Islamofascism is.

I would add that Charlie Hebdo is a solidly left-wing magazine of the sort that Christopher Hitchens would have appreciated.

I hope the murderers are caught, sentenced to life in prison and locked up in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day.

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts?[/B]
    Rushdie is obviously completely correct. Religions are a hangover of superstitious beliefs from times when man's experience could be neither rationalised nor explained and understood. Modern man doesn't have the same excuses for holding such beliefs as his forebears did and, as the century progresses, they will wither on the vine of education. To be harming others in the name of such beliefs is both barbarically unacceptable in an advanced society and ridiculous.

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
    Absolutely spot on. Some on here could learn from him.

ReputationRep:
    RIP.

Life is not worth it living fear.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.