Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caitlan)
    Assuming John's was your preferred college during application, did college finances play any part in your decision?
    Yes. It's quite hard to choose between colleges (they're all pretty similar) so I thought I may as well use that among my criteria. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...hn.27s_College

(Original post by SeaweedBrain)
    Both John's finances and fluteflute played a part in my decision :P
    :heart:

Spoiler:
    Show
    in a non-romantic way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yz5267)
    Oh that's unfortunate.. :/
    Did he then join the freshers in 2013 then?
    Unfortunately he wasn't ready, I'm not sure what he'll end up doing. (Possibly coming back to CompPhil, or possibly reapplying to uni for a different course, interests do shift!)

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed a couple of people talking about Oxford admissions statistics (not sure if it was on this thread or one of the others) - will these statistics be released for all subjects/colleges or are they only available for some? I can't seem to find any for psychology, but I'm not sure that I'm looking in the right place...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    They don't.
    Don't quite get why some people make such a big deal of it to the point of crying for it then...

(Original post by fluteflute)
    Unfortunately he wasn't ready, I'm not sure what he'll end up doing. (Possibly coming back to CompPhil, or possibly reapplying to uni for a different course, interests do shift!)
    Ohh.. So you mean he'd be coming back this October or reapplying elsewhere for 2015 entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yz5267)
    Ohh.. So you mean he'd be coming back this October or reapplying elsewhere for 2015 entry?
    I don't know what his plans are atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexgr97)
    Anyone else for St Catz? Well done to everyone for getting offers!
    St Catz here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    Ah you're from Northern Ireland?! I was interviewed at Wadham and PPE and Classics overlapped! I'm from Co.Down!
    I got an Open Offer so not sure of which college I'll end up at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahhhh it's so cool to find another Northern Irish person!! Sorry it took a little while to reply! I'm just outside Londonderry so it's a bit far out from County Down lol.
    That's cool, I originally interviewed at LMH and Regent's Park but then Wadham gave me the open offer. I hadn't even heard of them before but it looks like a fab college! It's too bad we didn't get to see each other when the subjects overlapped at interviews. It's so weird not knowing where we'll be staying next year, isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mnina19)
    Unconditional offer from St Catherine's for History - if anyone is at Catz or doing History, let's chat! Does anyone know if there will be a Catz Facebook group or anything where we can talk? Or will there be a general Oxford offer holders FB group?
    I do history at Worcester and a good friend of mine does history at St Catz!!!! Congratulations!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Somniare)
    Yay! I am also extremely excited! I really enjoyed the interviews ^o^ (what kind of questions did you get?) I applied to St Hugh's and received an offer from them =D did you have your second interview at Oriel? I am just a bit scared about A* in Further Maths as I hear it is quite hard to get...
    What areas of Maths are you interested in? And philosophy? I hope everyone is good friends then! =p
    Same, they were really interesting - except my philosophy one at Oriel which was a complete disaster hahaa.
    I got some questions when I arrived to have a go at for the first maths interview. The second was on cubics and a weird function that spat out different things depending on what you put in.. Errm and had some logic questions and general questions on personal identity in philosophy which were really interesting - probs my fave interview At Oriel we derived some summation formulae using combinatorics which was great fun. What kind of things did you get? I think the best thing about interviews, particularly the philosophy ones, was being able to talk to people (not just books...) about ideas and have them help me discover new ones! Oriel was my second college, yes.
    The A* in further is a little scary but I feel that now I have the offer, I'm gonna make sure I don't miss it and fill my life with past papers and revision
    Which areas of maths and philosophy? Hmm.. I don't think I know very specifically tbh - something on the pure side of maths. I've never studied philosophy but I've enjoyed reading about Plato's world of forms and I'm basing my french A2 oral on Voltaire! Hbu?
    Which uni are you going for as your insurance btw? Trying to decide between Warwick and Bristol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenuinemisspelt)
    Ahhhh it's so cool to find another Northern Irish person!! Sorry it took a little while to reply! I'm just outside Londonderry so it's a bit far out from County Down lol.
    That's cool, I originally interviewed at LMH and Regent's Park but then Wadham gave me the open offer. I hadn't even heard of them before but it looks like a fab college! It's too bad we didn't get to see each other when the subjects overlapped at interviews. It's so weird not knowing where we'll be staying next year, isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wadham is so nice! The people are great! I'd love to know my future college, but even knowing I'll be leaving Northern Ireland for Oxford is both exciting and terrifying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foalsgold)
    Hey I received an offer from St. Peter's which is exciting, but I seriously feel as if it was a mistake. There were and are so many people better than I and I don't know whether I'm to the Oxford standard. Maybe I'm just being silly

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Snap! What course will you do?

And same here. I look around me at both the people there on my interview days and people at my school and I just feel like I'm not intellectual enough but to quote my friend already at Oxford, 'Oxford dons don't make mistakes' so I think we're going to have get over ourselves and have a little faith.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really interested to know who else from my course got in, will there be subject-specific offer holders' days like other universities do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radk)
    For some reason, I can't reply to a person's comment because it needs to be 'at least 2 characters long' even though I practically wrote an essay as a response!?

Anyway this is a reply to simba_n's reply to my original comment.

Wow that sounds as though you really made the most of it and really had a good time of it
    Thanks a lot I'll be applying for maths. But I guess the thing is that I'm not that intelligent so to speak, I just work really hard. And even then I got 6A* and 5As at GCSE, which I'm really really proud of, but when I moved from a sports college to a grammar school, people were like meh. And people at my new school seem to be really really amazing like some got into BMO1, whereas I was considered in the top 5 students at my last school and I only ever got a bronze in Maths challenge

Enough of my rant! So what course you doing? Are you doing A-levels or other qualifications? Are you into other stuff too? eg sport, music
    Don't worry, I can spot your comments anyway :-)

Yes, I got everything I could have wished for out of the whole experience!

Oh I'm no genius either hahaha! Out if all the applicants from my sixth form with year, I was the only one that got in and I would consider myself the least 'genius' out of them all. I'm just very much into my subject and studied the application process and interview tips deeply enough to get a good outcome! Not EVERYONE who goes to oxford has all A*s and your school is an obvious reason as to why you don't have that.

I'm study Maths, physics, chemistry and product design at ALevel. I have quite a unique hobby haha, I compete in beauty pageants, which is controversial but a lot of fun and much more valuable than people believe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DodoManiac)
    Same, they were really interesting - except my philosophy one at Oriel...
    Oooh sounds interesting, especially personal identity =D I completely agree with you about being able to talk to people! One of the things that makes Oxford seem so appealing is because I believe all my peers would be as enthusiastic as me so we could just talk about all sorts of interesting things. And, should one person not have noticed a fatal flaw in their logic/see ony from one oerspective, it is easily remedied! (=^ェ^=)
    My first philosophy interview was very much based on the philosophy of mathetics (axioms, proof etc) as I wrote an EPQ on it and it was also the fellow's area of interest. Then maths had some probability/graph sketching/differention/talking about Japanese monkeys, the fellow's were so relaxing that ally nerves just floated away ~~ then a talk about arguments why God should exist (and whether said arguments are valid) where I got asked physics questions (not expected XD) and also about recent reading (Wittgenstein <3). Moving into the last maths interview the questions were about the function x^n + x - 1 and a set of numbers with which we had to find out approximately how many numbers were in the set...(that interview went rather badly...)
    I'm also very much on the pure side (and this course takes out all the mechanics =D), have been looking at axiomatic systems so thinking about set and group theory (but I am not as enamoured of it as I once was) geometric proofs also seem quite interesting! And number theory! Really everything looks cool >.< in philosophy it's the same D= but I am a great of Wittgenstein! Philosophy of Language and philosophy of mathematics are probably the places I am most interested at the moment =p just through the reading I've done (which is not very extensive at all...). Plato's theory of ideas also seems to be quite reflective of the world in my eyes. How much 'truth' do you feel there is in it? Are there any philosophical ideas you feel you agree with or are there simply so many you kind of feel like floundering? (<- Me)
    Wow! Talking in French about Voltaire =D that sounds very awesome (≧∇≦) think you learn much about him? Good luck!
    Yes..revision everywhere =d
    Aha you sound like a person of my own heart! I think I'll probably put Bristol as I don't have enough confidence in myself to get a 1 in STEP =s Have you done much practie for STEP? The questions can be quite fun ^o^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly_xox)

And same here. I look around me at both the people there on my interview days and people at my school and I just feel like I'm not intellectual enough but to quote my friend already at Oxford, 'Oxford dons don't make mistakes' so I think we're going to have get over ourselves and have a little faith.
    I believed I was only just above average in terms of intelligence all the way until I started at Oxford. Realising you can compete with all those smart people around you does wonders for your self-belief, and helps you believe you belong there. I hope you'll feel that as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly_xox)

Don't think people are better than you - most likely that they are not.

Honestly, I thought that Oxford was full of amazingly clever and well-read people: unfortunately, it turned out that this is not the case. You will probably meet quite intelligent people, but (a) most people are not hat interested in their subject: they simply want too "have fun" (which basically means getting drunk with cheap alcohol); and (b) given the characteristic British education system, almost everybody is quite knowledgeable in a specific sector of his/her subject, but has not got a clue about all the other subjects (and, most often, all the rest of his own).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amol_chalis447)
    I believed I was only just above average in terms of intelligence all the way until I started at Oxford. Realising you can compete with all those smart people around you does wonders for your self-belief, and helps you believe you belong there. I hope you'll feel that as well

(Original post by Caesar95)
    Don't think people are better than you - most likely that they are not.

Honestly, I thought that Oxford was full of amazingly clever and well-read people: unfortunately, it turned out that this is not the case. You will probably meet quite intelligent people, but (a) most people are not hat interested in their subject: they simply want too "have fun" (which basically means getting drunk with cheap alcohol); and (b) given the characteristic British education system, almost everybody is quite knowledgeable in a specific sector of his/her subject, but has not got a clue about all the other subjects (and, most often, all the rest of his own).
    Okay, I'll have to bear that in mind - reputation is getting the better of me! Thank you guys it's just all a bit overwhelming, you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    Wadham is so nice! The people are great! I'd love to know my future college, but even knowing I'll be leaving Northern Ireland for Oxford is both exciting and terrifying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's reassuring!! I only spoke to two or three current students at LMH and Regent's Park but it seems like everyone at Ox is so down to earth and friendly.
    Yeah I know what you mean, although I went on UNIQ last summer and wandered around a lot during interviews so I'm fairly familiar with the transport to and from Oxford and the city itself now. Although leaving to actually LIVE there is completely different and scary!
    How's your school reacting to your offer?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I also have an offer from St Catz (to do maths !)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenuinemisspelt)
    That's reassuring!! I only spoke to two or three current students at LMH and Regent's Park but it seems like everyone at Ox is so down to earth and friendly.
    Yeah I know what you mean, although I went on UNIQ last summer and wandered around a lot during interviews so I'm fairly familiar with the transport to and from Oxford and the city itself now. Although leaving to actually LIVE there is completely different and scary!
    How's your school reacting to your offer?
    And how expensive it is to go to Chester

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.