The Student Room Group

Cambridge Re-applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WithoutMuchHope
I got feedback and got told that one of my interviews was A2 the other was A3 on a scale of A1-A5 with 1 being strongest. This seems a really odd scale; has anyone ever heard anything about this before? I really wanted a score out of 10...

Hi, what else did they say?
Original post by AmarPatel98
Hi, what else did they say?

It was extremely brief (like a couple of sentences) and basically said that overall my performance was good and I was competent and although I generally got the right answers I needed more prompting to get there than the most successful candidates.

It said the whole interview scale was. used only a clare (ie. A3 was average at clare interviews). You'd think some colleges have stronger candidates so I wonder how this scale compares university wide...
Original post by WithoutMuchHope
It was extremely brief (like a couple of sentences) and basically said that overall my performance was good and I was competent and although I generally got the right answers I needed more prompting to get there than the most successful candidates.

It said the whole interview scale was. used only a clare (ie. A3 was average at clare interviews). You'd think some colleges have stronger candidates so I wonder how this scale compares university wide...

Ahh yeah I see. I'm still waiting to hear back with my feedback! Hopefully it'll come soon
Just a quick note to manage expectations with feedback - often it's the case that a candidate didn't do anything wrong or have any specific weaknesses, just that we preferred other candidates who might have been slightly stronger in some ways. Don't necessarily expect it to pinpoint exactly where you feel short as you might have been a good candidate, just not as strong as others.

Interview scores aren't generally included in feedback as these are for internal use only.
Is there a "Cambridge re-applicants [for] 2017" thread?
Fortunately my feedback was very detailed so I know exactly where I need to improve.
Original post by dorababy1995
Is there a "Cambridge re-applicants [for] 2017" thread?

It seems not - feel free to start one :smile:
Hi, just wanted opinions really. I was pooled and rejected this year for Cambridge ( Emma) . I looked at some other unis but tbh, didn't really feel it as had my heart set on Cambridge. Anyway, got my a level results - all good - 4 a*s etc, so decided to take a gap year to reapply. Also finally felt brave enough to get full feedback from emma.Kinda wished I hadn't. Has made me doubt my decision to reapply and proaaly wouldnt have if Id got it earlier..No scores were given, but the notes from the general interview was quite brutal - 'not listening to prompts, it obstinate etc. The academic interviews went a bit better with one of them highly complimentary, the other had some good points but again pointed out my weakness to address follow up questions/prompts at times. Anyway, I feel committed to reapplying now having taken a year out , but im a bit worried about reapplying to Cambridge in case the professors talk amongst themselves and also because im not entirely sure i can address the weaknesses. tbh, the feedback was totally the reverse of what I had expected, so has really thrown me.:frown:
Original post by anneduffy
Hi, just wanted opinions really. I was pooled and rejected this year for Cambridge ( Emma) . I looked at some other unis but tbh, didn't really feel it as had my heart set on Cambridge. Anyway, got my a level results - all good - 4 a*s etc, so decided to take a gap year to reapply. Also finally felt brave enough to get full feedback from emma.Kinda wished I hadn't. Has made me doubt my decision to reapply and proaaly wouldnt have if Id got it earlier..No scores were given, but the notes from the general interview was quite brutal - 'not listening to prompts, it obstinate etc. The academic interviews went a bit better with one of them highly complimentary, the other had some good points but again pointed out my weakness to address follow up questions/prompts at times. Anyway, I feel committed to reapplying now having taken a year out , but im a bit worried about reapplying to Cambridge in case the professors talk amongst themselves and also because im not entirely sure i can address the weaknesses. tbh, the feedback was totally the reverse of what I had expected, so has really thrown me.:frown:

Apply to a different college for a start :smile: I doubt very much if tutors at different colleges would bother talking about individual candidates. At least not so that they would be identifiable.

With 4 A*s you are guaranteed at least another interview :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending