What does good does the Monarchy really do ? Watch

Midlander
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SBKA)
I meant that using 'every child should be born equal' as an argument for the abolition of the monarchy is absurd. It is not a hard idea to implement, it is an impossible one.

Your argument entirely rests on this premise. That it is unfair that someone should be born into a life of privilege based on some sort of hereditary right. I agree with you, but as a realist I recognise that this is not specific to the monarchy. It applies to every child who goes to private school because their parents were successful and to countless other examples. I personally cannot respect the position of someone who calls for the abolition of the monarchy whilst not also calling for countless other measures which could be seen to equal this divide.
These things are not mutually exclusive, it is possible to be against multiple forms of inequality at the same time, as I am. Britain is heavily divided by class, more so than most other developed countries, and the monarchy is the ultimate symbol of that. An elitist institution that provides state funded privilege and celebrity status to the Windsor family for no good reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SBKA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
These things are not mutually exclusive, it is possible to be against multiple forms of inequality at the same time, as I am. Britain is heavily divided by class, more so than most other developed countries, and the monarchy is the ultimate symbol of that. An elitist institution that provides state funded privilege and celebrity status to the Windsor family for no good reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do not think we shall ever agree on this. I believe that the system of a constitutional monarchy is the best possible one that could ever exist in this country. I would argue that families that made their wealth through slavery and have kept multiplying it through corrupt business deals whilst exercising power that a monarch could only dream of are a far greater symbol of inequality that Lizzy and her Corgis are.
Kingpin152
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the queen is pointless. She lives in a huge palace wears ludicrously expensive jewellery and what does she actually do? All this is paid for by us. The monarchy is old, needless and demeaning to the rest of us. Why should she be put above us because she's been fed off of a golden platter her whole life?

I will never sing the national anthem and if I met her I wouldn't bow and wouldn't answer to her any different to a normal person

I say Ditch her and make her live in a normal house. I would hope anyone who has self respect would agree with me rather then Demean themselves further by practically claiming she is more worthy of a palace then Themselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SBKA)
I do not think we shall ever agree on this. I believe that the system of a constitutional monarchy is the best possible one that could ever exist in this country. I would argue that families that made their wealth through slavery and have kept multiplying it through corrupt business deals whilst exercising power that a monarch could only dream of are a far greater symbol of inequality that Lizzy and her Corgis are.
How many of these families made their son Field Marshal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
SBKA
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why does it matter? The Field Marshal isn't actually commanding our military forces, it is a ceremonial role. Just like the entire monarchy is in our country.
gladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Such appointments are with the approval of the Government and Parliament, and are of a purely ceremonial nature at that. There are honorary colonels of regiments; mascots, patrons if you will. They have no command capacity.
Crb822
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The monarchy bring in tourism which gets the country millions of pounds.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gladders)
Such appointments are with the approval of the Government and Parliament, and are of a purely ceremonial nature at that. There are honorary colonels of regiments; mascots, patrons if you will. They have no command capacity.
Might I ask what the point is, particularly when the role once had a purpose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Crb822)
The monarchy bring in tourism which gets the country millions of pounds.
How many times has this lazily been trotted out in this thread alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
gladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Might I ask what the point is, particularly when the role once had a purpose?
Morale booster to the soldiers? An extra bit of pageantry? Showing that they are taking an interest in the conduct of the Armed Forces? The Regiment itself has the choice of whom their Colonel-in-Chief is, so it's not imposed on them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (140)
17.83%
It's just nice to be back! (212)
27.01%
Not great so far... (281)
35.8%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.36%

Watched Threads