The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
What? I'm not trying to perform any significant statistical analysis of the debate here. It's only meant to be a simple snapshot.
I know, I was just making the point that it's not a very useful snapshot.
TeeEff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Final Survation poll:

Cameron: 21%
Miliband: 22%
Farage: 22%
Clegg: 8%
Sturgeon: 19%
Bennett: 4%
Wood: 4%

(Original post by Aph)
I know, I was just making the point that it's not a very useful snapshot.
I'm starting to get the feeling your style of debating is more devil's advocate than anything else. Arguendo in essence.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Is it time to have the debate over whether we should have a debate before our election?
I hope we do and definitely think we should. I hope all the party leaders will agree to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Is it time to have the debate over whether we should have a debate before our election?
Lol, yes we're getting to that time.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
I hope we do and definitely think we should. I hope all the party leaders will agree to.
This is the sort of thing I suggest.

The debate will take place over three periods of two days. Each of these periods will focus upon one of the following: home affairs, foreign affairs, and the economy.

Each topic will commence with four questions, with at least two from non MPs and no more than one from a member of any one party, which will be answered as soon as possible by the party leaders. There will then be a period where the leaders debate each others responses and expand on their plans.

Non-leaders will not be allowed to comment in the debate thread, and a separate reaction thread will be set up for the inevitable discussion.

This will require party leaders or their nominated debaters, however, to be online regularly during the debate period.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
Final Survation poll:

Cameron: 21%
Miliband: 22%
Farage: 22%
Clegg: 8%
Sturgeon: 19%
Bennett: 4%
Wood: 4%

I'm starting to get the feeling your style of debating is more devil's advocate than anything else. Arguendo in essence.
Not always.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)

The debate will take place over three periods of two days. Each of these periods will focus upon one of the following: home affairs, foreign affairs, and the economy.

Each topic will commence with four questions, with at least two from non MPs and no more than one from a member of any one party, which will be answered as soon as possible by the party leaders. There will then be a period where the leaders debate each others responses and expand on their plans.

Non-leaders will not be allowed to comment in the debate thread, and a separate reaction thread will be set up for the inevitable discussion.

This will require party leaders or their nominated debaters, however, to be online regularly during the debate period.
(Original post by Birchington)
QFA
Let's make it so.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
We should certainly hold a party leader debate before elections. It will invite engagement with the MHoC if nothing else.

Since elections only come once a year we should sort it quickly to get it in this year. All we need to do is ask each party leader whether they will take part.

(Original post by O133)

This would work very well. We should petition the community team to advertise the debates on the front page sliders.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)

I think that's a great format. I'd suggest the party leaders get the mobile app like I, as well as many others, have, as it allows you to be online and ready all the time.

Edit: Party Leaders/Debaters should also make opening and closing statements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Let's make it so.
Absolutely. I'll take a proper look tomorrow and start planning things.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Looking at the ICM tables it's unsurprising that every party's members in the debate thought their own party had won. The only exception being Plaid who thought the SNP won.

Cameron is probably going to happy with the outcome because in 5 weeks nobody will remember this, he got his 0-0 draw. Polls all show he and Miliband getting near enough the shame and they won't be on a stage any longer together which means the election comes purely down to policy and the Tories obviously think they have a massive edge on the economy.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting that Milliband maintained his stance on privatisation as capping profits, not banning them altogether.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pre-debate voting intention..

Labour: 36%
Tory: 32%

10% changed mind., Ukip gained 27% of them.

Post-debate voting intention..

Labour: 34% (-2%)
Tory: 31% (-1%)
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Looking at the ICM tables it's unsurprising that every party's members in the debate thought their own party had won. The only exception being Plaid who thought the SNP won.

Cameron is probably going to happy with the outcome because in 5 weeks nobody will remember this, he got his 0-0 draw. Polls all show he and Miliband getting near enough the shame and they won't be on a stage any longer together which means the election comes purely down to policy and the Tories obviously think they have a massive edge on the economy.
Definitely this, plus UKIP didn't do any extra damage, while some lefties are now surely looking at Ed hoping he pushes out a bit (if only the SNP were an English party too)

Glad the DUP weren't there now for sure. Feel sorry for Clegg, great debator, seems a genuinely nice guy, the Lib Dem slogan works (borrow/cut less) - it just isn't working for them.
That Bearded Man
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Pre-debate voting intention..

Labour: 36%
Tory: 32%

10% changed mind., [b]Ukip gained 27% of them.[/]

Post-debate voting intention..

Labour: 34% (-2%)
Tory: 31% (-1%)
What do you mean? Increased to 27%?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
What do you mean? Increased to 27%?
Of the 10% of swingers 27% swung to UKIP so UKIP gaing 2.7%
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In all the debate excitement it seems we missed an incredible poll (just one and fieldwork done early week)..

YouGov
CON 37%, LAB 35%, LD 7%, UKIP 12%, GRN 5%.

Showing the Tories, increasing their 2010 vote share.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In all the debate excitement it seems we missed an incredible poll (just one and fieldwork done early week)..

YouGov
CON 37%, LAB 35%, LD 7%, UKIP 12%, GRN 5%.

Showing the Tories, increasing their 2010 vote share.
And the greens... And UKIP... And labour... Basically everyone gained other then the libs so no suprise... But labour made the biggest gain.
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

The state of the press in this country :facepalm:
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Didn't see the derbate, intend to watch it tomorrow given I was in the pub and the voilume was VERY low, but I expect to go to the relevant sub forums and see the labout propaganda officers claiming a Labour victory because a couple of initial polls put Labour 1% infront even though that means next to nothing.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads