Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    feminist response, boys supposed underachievement is a moral panic designed to shore up men's ego in a time of a 'crisis in masculinity', boys underachievement is only an issue as boys are 'naturally' supposed to do better than girls...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbidaIslam)
    You could say Jannette Elwood explains how coursework has an effect on achievement of students, and could increase the likelihood of girls achieving more, however due to the fact coursework is usually a small percentage of courses, there is no reason for boys to be doing bad.

Hope that helped
    that's just what i needed thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    It is important to note that Sociology essays for AQA are all about the QUALITY AND NOT THE QUANTITY. This cannot be stressed enough. So many papers have come back where people who wrote less got more marks than those who wrote more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risteard)
    one page. four points.

The fourth point is evaluation right? For example a 12 marker on Functionalism would have 3 points on Functionalism and the 4th point on let's say Marxism. And do you need a conclusion or does that count as a conclusion?

It's been so long since I've practised 12 markers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbidaIslam)
    Could you tell me what the letter stand for? Thank you
    Practical, ethical, theoretical, validity, reliability and representative

The other E stands for examples but these should be threaded throughout the essay if relevant and possible, instead of as a paragraph on their own.

ReputationRep:
    No social groups include gender and ethnicity

(Original post by H-Ali1)
    Np

Btw does are social groups the same as social classes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anzyy)
    No social groups include gender and ethnicity
    NO!

ReputationRep:
    PREDICTIONS!! But ensure you revise EVERYTHING butespecially look at :
    1. Roles and processes in schools ( interactionist)–streaming, subcultures etc- looking at social class, gender or ethnicity
    2. Policies- Marketisation- 1988 ERA, New Labour andcoalition
    3. Cultural deprivation versus material deprivation for working class underachievement.
    4. Ethnicity and underachievement5. Social class and underachievement

Methods- learn everything and prepare for x2 essays- a general and also a context essay. Especially revise :
    1. Experiments
    2. Documents
    3. Observation- participant /non participant
    4. Interviews
    5. Questionnaires

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smills12)
    what are natural experiments??
    natural experiments are comparative methods - Brunsma & Rockquemore (1992) U.S. study of the effects of school uniform

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ambitiousamah)
    PREDICTIONS!! But ensure you revise EVERYTHING butespecially look at :
    1. Roles and processes in schools ( interactionist)–streaming, subcultures etc- looking at social class, gender or ethnicity
    2. Policies- Marketisation- 1988 ERA, New Labour andcoalition
    3. Cultural deprivation versus material deprivation for working class underachievement.
    4. Ethnicity and underachievement5. Social class and underachievement

Methods- learn everything and prepare for x2 essays- a general and also a context essay. Especially revise :
    1. Experiments
    2. Documents
    3. Observation- participant /non participant
    4. Interviews
    5. Questionnaires
    Which method do you think is most likely for the methods in context essay, and which one for the research method essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob smith 23)
    Which method do you think is most likely for the methods in context essay, and which one for the research method essay?
    i can't really say as my teacher gave me this list

ReputationRep:
    i can't really say as my teacher gave me this list
    Thanks anyway- I'm really stressed about this exam, especially the research methods bit- we've never been over the last 20 mark in class so I have no idea how to write one or what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smills12)
    Yes please!! would be sooo helpful
    Here they are! I'm sorry they took so long - didn't quite realise how much there was to get through...

So these are the flashcards of researchers for Class, Ethnicity and Gender and educational achievement. I know there are a lot but if you can just get down 2 or 3 for each subsection then that would be enough as in a 20 mark question you need to refer to about 2 or 3 researchers!

Please let me know if you can access them easily, and feel free to ask me any question. I hope they are of some help!

https://www.goconqr.com/en-US/p/2762...ash_card_decks

Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob smith 23)
    Thanks anyway- I'm really stressed about this exam, especially the research methods bit- we've never been over the last 20 mark in class so I have no idea how to write one or what to expect.
    Basically the same as the context question but make it general instead of referring to labelling in schools and how interviews affect the research. But instead talk about how one using interviews can affect their research. if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    Basically the same as the context question but make it general instead of referring to labelling in schools and how interviews affect the research. But instead talk about how one using interviews can affect their research. if that makes sense?
    Yeah-thanks, so I weigh up the overall, general use of interviews as opposed to applying them to a situation in education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evekay)
    There will be retakes...
    There wont be any lol because there will be no more AS sociology exams. They changed A levels so that you can only do exams after 2 years. next year there will only be A2 exams and for the people starting A levels, they will be doing it in 2 years time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricefarmer)
    There wont be any lol because there will be no more AS sociology exams. They changed A levels so that you can only do exams after 2 years. next year there will only be A2 exams and for the people starting A levels, they will be doing it in 2 years time.
    they're in 2016 timetable along with new paper..

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_...-GCE-JUN16.PDF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anzyy)
    Do you know how you'd answer the education 20 marker?

Would it be:

Intro - define material dep
    Para 1 - diet and health
    Para 2 - housing
    Para 3 - cultural dep
    Para 4 - cultural capital?
    Conclusion - ?
    If it was an assess you could use two internal factors and two external and the conclude which ones have more impact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fieldy_xo)
    PERV(e)RT if its easier to remember, although this isn't the best structure.
    That's not necessarily true! The PERVRT structure allows for overall development throughout all you paragraphs and allows it to flow (for me at least), and it was recommended by ourteacher. However, it also wouldn't really matter what order you put everything in as long as you have all the information needed, since your structure does not change the facts!and remember, you need the facts more than anything!
    Practical
    Ethical
    Relaibility
    Validity
    Representativeness
    Theoretical

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got an evaluation for changes in the family (gender), if the point was:

higher divorce rates - girls cannot rely on a male - need to support themselves - need qualifications - achieve in school

??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.