Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Holly)
    this is exactly what happened to me! I wrote similar things for part A and also had to really rush the Depression question.. hopefully we'll have done fine!
    glad to hear somebody else was in the same boat. What did you conclude about international problems? I was slightly confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charliehero7)
    I answered the second question on Part A about the effects of WW2 and I added other factors like the baby boom, construction and home ownership and US trading position.
    I also did the New Deal for section B, there were parts where I thought i was drifting from the question and started talking about the successes of the New Deal but i think I managed to focus on the social groups by the end of it. My main focus was African Americans as thats what most of the source focused on, and I mentioned women, the elderly, unemployed, farmers and general workers. I generally found the paper a nice surprise, just got to wait for results now!
    We basically did the same thing, Relieved! I was so happy with the questions my predictions were correct. What does everyone think the grade boundaries are gonna be like, pretty easy questions I thought compared to previous years so I'm thinking higher grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarcieT)
    We basically did the same thing, Relieved! I was so happy with the questions my predictions were correct. What does everyone think the grade boundaries are gonna be like, pretty easy questions I thought compared to previous years so I'm thinking higher grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For new deal I split the question into how groups benefited socially and economically do you think that'll be ok???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that should be fine it did specifically ask for social factors but economic can count as own knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    my structure for the part A q on political and social tensions:

1) women - things such as how they were still unable to benefit from the boom era due to limitations of sheppard-towner act and how the 19th amendment didn't do much so they 'suffered' in the period. to balance it i talked about how women's social image changed so didn't really suffer in the years in that way

2) prohibition - talked about crime and gangsterism and treasury agents being corrupt but mentioned how their failure to enforce led to more drunkenness which meant society 'suffered'. To balance it i talked about how overall consumption was reported to decreased 30-50% etc so society did have some benefits

3) immigration/KKK - talked about how the rise of nationalism following WW1 led to immigration laws being introduced which led to the KKK rise and gave stats about their support and how they terrorised and said African-Americans suffered. To balance I said that nationalism was beneficial to the south so they didn't 'suffer' as their political power increased due to fewer immigrants in the north so they were represented more in the House of Representatives.

Was really confused with this question as it was so vague. I also didn't explicitly say which ones were political and which ones were social tensions and i realised i missed out things like Sacco and Vanzetti, Red scare and scopes monkey trial so was wondering how much of an effect it would have on my mark. Someone honestly and brutally say if my essay was along the right lines as I'm quite worried please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hf97)
    my structure for the part A q on political and social tensions:

1) women - things such as how they were still unable to benefit from the boom era due to limitations of sheppard-towner act and how the 19th amendment didn't do much so they 'suffered' in the period. to balance it i talked about how women's social image changed so didn't really suffer in the years in that way

2) prohibition - talked about crime and gangsterism and treasury agents being corrupt but mentioned how their failure to enforce led to more drunkenness which meant society 'suffered'. To balance it i talked about how overall consumption was reported to decreased 30-50% etc so society did have some benefits

3) immigration/KKK - talked about how the rise of nationalism following WW1 led to immigration laws being introduced which led to the KKK rise and gave stats about their support and how they terrorised and said African-Americans suffered. To balance I said that nationalism was beneficial to the south so they didn't 'suffer' as their political power increased due to fewer immigrants in the north so they were represented more in the House of Representatives.

Was really confused with this question as it was so vague. I also didn't explicitly say which ones were political and which ones were social tensions and i realised i missed out things like Sacco and Vanzetti, Red scare and scopes monkey trial so was wondering how much of an effect it would have on my mark. Someone honestly and brutally say if my essay was along the right lines as I'm quite worried please.
    That sounds fine, honestly you had the choice of many topics in the question and I doubt anyone used them all. Remember Edexcel are positive markers, so as long as what you wrote was to a good standard, which it sounds like, then it should all be okay!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I really ran out of time towards the end so had to scribble out a really brief conclusion. Will this affect my overall mark by a lot as I think the rest of my essay was up to a good level? Worried about this now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarcieT)
    Yeah that should be fine it did specifically ask for social factors but economic can count as own knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? I swear it just said something like the new deal benefited most groups of society' so you could discuss how they benefited economically and socially

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I answered part A (social tensions question) and I made the following points:

KKK: the threat of sabotage, Jim Crow laws, Red summer, the re- emergence, media (including film and literature) - and how these all contributed to social tensions, KKK membership numbers dropping, Harding's alleged membership

Immigration: Ellis Island, different cultures, fealty (in regards to communism), I mentioned a black population stat to show it really was all hysteria, WASP agenda, the increased representation in the North (HoR and the Senate), dubious tests that proved white supremacy, Catholicism

Red Scare: Sacco and Vanzetti, Palmer Raids, the bombs (anarchists), the conduct of Judge Thayer and how he was criticised (demonstrating the controversy), the huge communist rally that didn't come today fruition, the many strikes (police and steel)

Prohibition: 'brave new world', moral stance, the abstinence from German Brewers - this is the section I'm most worried about. Does this sound ok for prohibition?

Women: how their suffrage was a massive issue, as they were seen as supporters of prohibition. I also mentioned how the Supreme Court declared minimum wage for women as unconstitutional - I'm also worried about this section

Religious Fundamentalism : Scopes Trial and the controversy surrounding it, Butler Act (help with KKK).

Conclusion: there were heightened tensions, but it was more apparent in the social aspects rather than political. However, I don't think that is a fair and accurate judgement considering the points I made.

Section B:

Republic policies/international trade: Hawley-Smoot, Taft-Hartley (mentioned briefly in the conclusion), debt funding commission, increase in taxes

Overproduction/Redistribution of wealth: agricultural credits act - only affected big business, machinery and marginal land brought into production, talked about fall in demand and wages and how people didn't have money to spend on non-essential items.

Banking system/Big Businesses:
    More concerned with self-interest, source mentioned monetary policy so I talked about how they didn't increase money circulation, Wall Street crash and how they were more involved in that rather than international trade.

I am really uneasy about my answer for the 40 marker because they used Hoover for the sources, but I talked mainly about Coolidge, with no reference to Hoover apart from tariffs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, for the first question I wrote about red scare, prohibition, womens suffrage, movement to towns and cities and kkk.

Problem is I dont think I really balanced it well, the answer was mainly fixated on the negative impacts on society. How bad is this?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Vicky___;56749129]Really? I swear it just said something like the new deal benefited most groups of society' so you could discuss how they benefited economically and socially

yeah I did mostly economically (I don't really understand how you could speak about social) as the New Deal was made to improve the economy. My main argument was the fact that many policies i.e. NIRA excluded certain groups of society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkstar33)
    Hi guys, for the first question I wrote about red scare, prohibition, womens suffrage, movement to towns and cities and kkk.

Problem is I dont think I really balanced it well, the answer was mainly fixated on the negative impacts on society. How bad is this?
    I think the most important factor in regards to marking is how well you argued your point, I normally judge how well I do in exam through my gut feeling as soon as it's finished, you're probably just overthinking it and focusing on the negatives rather than all the good things your wrote and argued, don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=DarcieT;56744581]We basically did the same thing, Relieved! I was so happy with the questions my predictions were correct. What does everyone think the grade boundaries are gonna be like, pretty easy questions I thought compared to previous years so I'm thinking higher grade boundaries?

phew! I think the boundaries will be higher than normal however if you look at past grade boundaries with other periods of history American history is always a few marks lower anyway, so I don't think the boundaries will change so dramatically in comparison to everyone else if that makes sense haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charliehero7)
    I think the most important factor in regards to marking is how well you argued your point, I normally judge how well I do in exam through my gut feeling as soon as it's finished, you're probably just overthinking it and focusing on the negatives rather than all the good things your wrote and argued, don't worry!
    Thank you, made me feel better, just need to hope i got enough marks for a C in this exam because I think that would be enough for a B overall, but this is going to worry me for a long time

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=charliehero7;56759713]
    (Original post by Vicky___)
    Really? I swear it just said something like the new deal benefited most groups of society' so you could discuss how they benefited economically and socially

yeah I did mostly economically (I don't really understand how you could speak about social) as the New Deal was made to improve the economy. My main argument was the fact that many policies i.e. NIRA excluded certain groups of society
    Thank you! I was beginning to doubt my whole essay haha, and me too, but I have a feeling I mixed economic and social within my social section, but I really enjoyed the sources!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You were right omg social political tensions came up why oh why didn't I read this earlier it went so bad

ReputationRep:
    I chose the 2nd boom and for part b I chose to do the depression,
    I did pragraphs on -
    1) international economy
    2) government policies
    3) agricultural sector including overproduction and underconsumption
    4) industry including overproduction and fall in demand
    5) speculation, get rich quick schemes and the failure of banking system
    6) uneven distribution of wealth

Because I was running out of time at the end, I included no sources in the speculation and banking and uneven distribution of wealth paragraphs, will I lose a lot of marks for this even though I created a strong argument with mini conclusions after each factor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiemont)
    glad to hear somebody else was in the same boat. What did you conclude about international problems? I was slightly confused
    haha! and me too the sources were confusing, blamed it on international problems in the question and then blamed Hoover/government in the sources? what haha. Can't fully remember now and it was rushed but I think I said a mixture between the two factors or something in my conclusion lol, hopefully it's alright. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm currently in year 13 studying this topic for my A2 exam and I was just wondering if anyone still had any revision notes/resources for 'USA - Boom, Bust and Recovery' that they could possibly share with me? I really want to get an A/ A* so any help would be amazing!! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am also currently studying for my A2 exam. Does anyone know exactly what the question on social and political tensions was last year? Thanks.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.