Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samboosa0)
    There is a man in a room who hung himself. Below the man there is water. There are no objects in the room that would have helped the man hang himself except a rope hanging from the ceiling. How did the man get to the rope to hang himself?
    Stood on a block of ice to reach the rope, the ice then later melted?

ReputationRep:
    the man doesn't actually kill himself... he just grabs the rope from the ceiling and just hangs there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boods8897)
    correct! guess thats was a slightly easy one

(Original post by Bustamove)
    the man doesn't actually kill himself... he just grabs the rope from the ceiling and just hangs there?
    haha no

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't that be a slow death?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is round and yellow and fluffy and snirps all day long sitting high in the tree "i am a purple brick, i am a purple brick"

What is that ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)
    Wouldn't that be a slow death?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe if the Ice is slippery enough he could sort of skate over the edge? Then he wouldn't be on the block anymore but it could still be melting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dossedudex)
    It is round and yellow and fluffy and snirps all day long sitting high in the tree "i am a purple brick, i am a purple brick"

What is that ?
    a yellow fluffy bird high on drugs?

ReputationRep:

What is that ?
    A parrot/bird on drugs?! It is sitting 'high' in the tree after all.....
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

What is that ?
    Bird on LSD?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    its a red baloon with issues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    The people are counted by the number of times the counter has seen the counting lever in the up position. What if the counting lever begins in the up position, producing a false positive? Remember, the first inmate to visit the room doesn't know that someone hasn't already been there.
    I think the following modification of the previous solution fixes this problem:

Spoiler:
    Show

Let the levers be A and B, and pick a particular prisoner to play the role of the 'scorekeeper'.

i) The scorekeeper should do the following:
    a) If A is down, then move it up.
    b) If not, then move B (in either direction).

ii) Any prisoner other than the scorekeeper should do the following:
    (a) If A is up, and the number of previous occasions when he has moved A is either 0 or 1, then he should move it down.
    (b) If either A is down, or he has already moved A twice, then he should move B (in either direction). [Aside: The previous solution replaced 'twice' with 'once', but this doesn't work because we don't know the initial positions of the levers - see the quote at the start of this post.]

There are two possible scenarios:
    i) If A is initially up, AND the scorekeeper is not the first person to visit the room: In this case, somebody else pushes A down before the scorekeeper sees it. The scorekeeper will therefore be able to move A 'up' 38 times, but after that he will not be able to move it again.
    ii) Any other scenario: Then the scorekeeper will be the first person to touch lever A. Overall, he will be able to move A 'up' 39 times before not being able to touch it again.

In either scenario, there will come a time when the scorekeeper will push A upwards 38 times. Moreover, in either scenario, the scorekeeper can guarantee that everybody has visited the lever room at this point.

The rules of the thread say that we must post a riddle in return. [EDIT: I have modified my riddle to be more interesting.]

The first 20 prisoners managed to escape from the prison, but now the warden has a new test to give to the next 20. He says,
    "Tomorrow, you will all be given a hat to wear, each of which is either red or blue. You will not be able to see the colour of your own hat, but you will be able to see all the others. I shall blow my whistle, at which point you must all, simultaneously, shout out a guess as to the colour of your hat. If at least half of you guess correctly, then you will all be freed. If not, then you will all be executed. You are free to communicate now in order to decide on a strategy, but once the hats have been assigned, communication is strictly forbidden."

How can the prisoners guarantee that at least half of them will guess correctly?

ReputationRep:
    Are these hard or am i just dumb? :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Sherlock was sat home one cold winters night, when all of a sudden a rock was thrown at his window.
    It crashed through it and glass shattered all over his floor, he stood up he saw three boys running around the corner to hide. They were all brothers, their names were Billy Crimson, Mark Crimson and Paul Crimson.
    The next morning Sherlock awoke to a note pinned to the door of 221B which read'? Crimson. He broke your window.' Who should Sherlock ask about the window?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is the random question mark in what the note said a typo? Also is it either the boy's mother or the window repair man? Alternatively is it Billy because the B in '221B' makes the note say 'B.Crimson'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theOldBean)
    Is the random question mark in what the note said a typo? Also is it either the boy's mother or the window repair man? Alternatively is it Billy because the B in '221B' makes the note say 'B.Crimson'?
    Nope to all of those. I thought you were gonna have it when I read your very first bit.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suudsioee)
    Are these hard or am i just dumb? :ahee:
    I've literally been thinking that. I've only been able to guess the ice block one but that's only because I've heard it before

ReputationRep:
    Sherlock was sat home one cold winters night, when all of a sudden a rock was thrown at his window.
    It crashed through it and glass shattered all over his floor, he stood up he saw three boys running around the corner to hide. They were all brothers, their names were Billy Crimson, Mark Crimson and Paul Crimson.
    The next morning Sherlock awoke to a note pinned to the door of 221B which read'? Crimson. He broke your window.' Who should Sherlock ask about the window?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mark. When you read the note and say out load what it says, it reads 'question Mark Crimson'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiramay)
    Mark. When you read the note and say out load what it says, it reads 'question Mark Crimson'.
    Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theOldBean)
    I think the following modification of the previous solution fixes this problem:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Let the levers be A and B, and pick a particular prisoner to play the role of the 'scorekeeper'.

i) The scorekeeper should do the following:
    a) If A is down, then move it up.
    b) If not, then move B (in either direction).

ii) Any prisoner other than the scorekeeper should do the following:
    (a) If A is up, and the number of previous occasions when he has moved A is either 0 or 1, then he should move it down.
    (b) If either A is down, or he has already moved A twice, then he should move B (in either direction). [Aside: The previous solution replaced 'twice' with 'once', but this doesn't work because we don't know the initial positions of the levers - see the quote at the start of this post.]

There are two possible scenarios:
    i) If A is initially up, AND the scorekeeper is not the first person to visit the room: In this case, somebody else pushes A down before the scorekeeper sees it. The scorekeeper will therefore be able to move A 'up' 38 times, but after that he will not be able to move it again.
    ii) Any other scenario: Then the scorekeeper will be the first person to touch lever A. Overall, he will be able to move A 'up' 39 times before not being able to touch it again.

In either scenario, there will come a time when the scorekeeper will push A upwards 38 times. Moreover, in either scenario, the scorekeeper can guarantee that everybody has visited the lever room at this point.

The rules of the thread say that we must post a riddle in return. [EDIT: I have modified my riddle to be more interesting.]

The first 20 prisoners managed to escape from the prison, but now the warden has a new test to give to the next 20. He says,
    "Tomorrow, you will all be given a hat to wear, each of which is either red or blue. You will not be able to see the colour of your own hat, but you will be able to see all the others. I shall blow my whistle, at which point you must all, simultaneously, shout out a guess as to the colour of your hat. If at least half of you guess correctly, then you will all be freed. If not, then you will all be executed. You are free to communicate now in order to decide on a strategy, but once the hats have been assigned, communication is strictly forbidden."

How can the prisoners guarantee that at least half of them will guess correctly?
    how much time do they get? is the number of different coloured hats equal?(e.g. 10 blue, 10 red)
    when you say communication is forbidden, is it only speaking or all forms of communication? they can still communicate without being caught i guess?

I don't know if it's a guarantee, but they can pair up into twos. Once given the hat, they can use hand signals to signal to their partner whether their hat colour is red or blue.

e.g. signalling to their partner thumbs up for blue, thumbs down for red

but if they want to avoid being caught communication, they can use their eyes I guess?
    e.g. close your eyes for 3 seconds then one blink for blue, 2 blink for red...

I have a feeling I may have over thought it.. XD

ReputationRep:
    Yehhhhhh ladz!!!

ReputationRep:
    Sherlock is sitting in his house, by a fire. Suddenly a rock is thrown into his house. He runs outside and sees three boys, John Crimson, Mark Crimson and Paul Crimson. The following day, Sherlock receives a notes, '? Crimson. He throw the rock'. Which brother does Sherlock question?

Quite easy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.