Should we scrap the monarchy? Watch

Poll: Should the monarchy be abolished once The Queen dies?
Of course. I'm a diehard republican. (131)
41.07%
No - they are doing no harm. (151)
47.34%
I'm undecided. (22)
6.9%
What? (15)
4.7%
caracharlotte
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
no prince harry is fit
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
Quoting such obviously biased sources makes you look ridiculous.

The crown estate is the property of the royals. It is ceded back to parliament by every new monarch for the duration of his or her reign.
They are thoroughly researched figures which you don't like as they weaken your argument.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHous...statesxyz.aspx Not owned by the Queen.
BoomCha!
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by wwelol)
they are a bunch of nazis.; our national anthem is stupid, why do we have to say; "god save the queen" what the heck has she done for us !!!
What am utterly ridiculous comment.

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

Posted from TSR Mobile
BoomCha!
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DarrenBCFC)
I am suprised the majority are in favour of the monarchy
The majority of the whole population are in favour of the monarchy. It says something that there are rarely any anti monarchy protests. In fact they only ever spring up during a Jubilee/royal wedding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by United1892)
They are thoroughly researched figures which you don't like as they weaken your argument.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalHous...statesxyz.aspx Not owned by the Queen.
Yes, it cannot be disposed of by the monarch because it has been ceded to the control of parliament for the duration of the monarch's reign in exchange for the sovereign grant. It would therefore be completely absurd to count that grant as a cost to the taxpayer.

I don't know what other expenditures your flagrantly biased republican report includes, but I don't intend to get into them. If you can find a neutral source that produces similar figures I'd be happy to look over them.
DarrenBCFC
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BoomCha!)
The majority of the whole population are in favour of the monarchy. It says something that there are rarely any anti monarchy protests. In fact they only ever spring up during a Jubilee/royal wedding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont like them too much they try and be secretive and in the public eye, and when they recieve criticism from MPS in parliament they get warned about conduct. They can not expect to be secretive whiost being in the public eye we need to get rid of them
United1892
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, it cannot be disposed of by the monarch because it has been ceded to the control of parliament for the duration of the monarch's reign in exchange for the sovereign grant. It would therefore be completely absurd to count that grant as a cost to the taxpayer.

I don't know what other expenditures your flagrantly biased republican report includes, but I don't intend to get into them. If you can find a neutral source that produces similar figures I'd be happy to look over them.
Even without the grant the cost is over £100 million.

Security costs, all the costs are from neutral sources just compiled together by republic.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Even without the grant the cost is over £100 million.

Security costs, all the costs are from neutral sources just compiled together by republic.
So cite them.

Not that I would consider that rather piddling expenditure in national terms anything other than fully justified.
BoomCha!
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I dont like them too much they try and be secretive and in the public eye, and when they recieve criticism from MPS in parliament they get warned about conduct. They can not expect to be secretive whiost being in the public eye we need to get rid of them
That comment makes little sense, perhaps they don't like forever being watched by the media? Getting rid of them would bring no major benefits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
United1892
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So cite them.

Not that I would consider that rather piddling expenditure in national terms anything other than fully justified.
Read the document on the page and you will find them referenced in it. I'm not searching for evidence of each individual cost when if you clicked the link I gave you, you could find them.
DarrenBCFC
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That comment makes little sense, perhaps they don't like forever being watched by the media? Getting rid of them would bring no major benefits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It would we would get a better national anthem. The queesn can pay taxes like normal people, get a job like normal people and not sit on the asses whilst having the money of the this countries people to maintain the palace(s). What i meant is they like to be secretive and get rather defensive against anything published in the media ie kates ass in the media whilst always wanting to be secret
TonksTheCat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think they are really worth it, she has to sign bills from Parliament, and that seems A- a waste of time and B- a bit risky. They have too much power. They are wayy to rich. don't wait till she dies leave her some money, Take all her property and charge tourists to walk around, have weddings etc in the palaces and spend the money on something useful. Sure let them have plenty to keep them comfortable, but no more.

Plus the national anthem sucks people fall asleep to it. Sure its pretty stirring the first time but... Also it is VERY outdated, it assumes everyone belives in a god and has some rather concerning lyrics like:
"Confound their politics"
And worse
"Rebellious Scots to crush"
so yea...
Last edited by TonksTheCat; 3 years ago
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Read the document on the page and you will find them referenced in it. I'm not searching for evidence of each individual cost when if you clicked the link I gave you, you could find them.
Lol I had a skim through. Counting the 'costs' of not kicking the royals out of their own palace? Hilarious. :no:
BoomCha!
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It would we would get a better national anthem. The queesn can pay taxes like normal people, get a job like normal people and not sit on the asses whilst having the money of the this countries people to maintain the palace(s). What i meant is they like to be secretive and get rather defensive against anything published in the media ie kates ass in the media whilst always wanting to be secret
The Queen "sitting on her ass?" Like the thousands of benefit scroungers in this country? We'd be better off scrapping the Benefits system which coould save just as much taxpayer money as getting rid of the monarchy would.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DarrenBCFC
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They do nkt get handed millions a year though. Austerity cuts actually put us in more debt getting rid if the queen and the monachs of which i cant stand they like to always be in the public eye but are very defensive when getting challenged. If it is going to be a dictatorship
The Queen "sitting on her ass?" Like the thousands of benefit scroungers in this country? We'd be better off scrapping the Benefits system which coould save just as much taxpayer money as getting rid of the monarchy would.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yellow 03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would totally support the abolishment of the monarchy. It's just such an anachronistic institution it's embarrassing. But the majority of the population love the idea of the royal family so that's never going to happen.
wwelol
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What am utterly ridiculous comment.

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!

Posted from TSR Mobile
what the heck has she done for u ? and for this country other than toursim ?
who made that old bag a queen ? the lazy blob sits on a pile of gold while doing a talk on austerity; absolute hypocrite.
use some logic and common sense, rather than being under mind control to say long live the queen
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TonksTheCat)
I don't think they are really worth it, she has to sign bills from Parliament, and that seems A- a waste of time and B- a bit risky. They have too much power.
The Queen acts on the advice of the elected Prime Minister.

They are wayy to rich. don't wait till she dies leave her some money, Take all her property and charge tourists to walk around, have weddings etc in the palaces and spend the money on something useful.
We'd still need a head of state. I don't think it's a serious contention that they would not occupy royal palaces, or that we could use one of our nation's most famous buildings as a money-spinner.

Plus the national anthem sucks people fall asleep to it. Sure its pretty stirring the first time but... Also it is VERY outdated, it assumes everyone belives in a god and has some rather concerning lyrics like:
"Confound their politics"
And worse
"Rebellious Scots to crush"
so yea...
I'm not really sure what's concerning about the first line. The second one is not part of the National Anthem at all - it was sung in some music halls in 1745.

Many National Anthems make reference to God. Even in overtly secular countries like the United States or France. The UK, on the other hand, is not a secular country.
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
they are a bunch of nazis.; our national anthem is stupid, why do we have to say; "god save the queen" what the heck has she done for us !!!
should make everyone feel a right pansy to say it at the very least
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what the heck has she done for u ? and for this country other than toursim ?
who made that old bag a queen ? the lazy blob sits on a pile of gold while doing a talk on austerity; absolute hypocrite.
use some logic and common sense, rather than being under mind control to say long live the queen
lmao old bag. lazy blob. stop. I'm dying.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (325)
92.07%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (28)
7.93%

Watched Threads