Turn on thread page Beta

Leaving Islam/ telling my family I'm athiest? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily Z)
    God is the most merciful,
    The evidence is the Qur'an.
    "The most merciful" means that it is not possible for anyone to be more merciful.

Is punishing someone with an eternity of unbearable pain the "most merciful" way of dealing with the finite "crime" of being born into a non-Muslim religion?

If anyone can think of a more merciful way of dealing with that situation, then Allah is not "the most merciful" and the Quran is shown to be flawed.

Can you think of a more merciful way of punishing someone for being brought up a Christian (for example) that to torture them for ever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamestaneh)
    Even if there was a true religion which existed (from the perspective of the current irreligious), there would always be something to call 'convenient' or complain about, and even if God decended from the sky, skeptics like you and Qe2 would probably say "this isn't God, it's just a created superior life form that we must research"...
    If what you are saying is that I will always favour the most reasonable explanation for something, then you are correct.

If you are claiming that Islam is the most reasonable explanation for the way the universe is, then I (and 75% of the world's population) disagree. Not to mention nearly 100% of the world's foremost physicists, biologists and chemists.

How do you explain the fact that almost every leading scientist in the world rejects Islam? What is it that you know that they don't, and why are you not able to convince them?

ReputationRep:
    The Qur'an has told us about the mentality of the Jahil

And of them there are some who listen to you; but We have set veils on their hearts, so they understand it not, and deafness in their ears; if they see every one of the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) they will not believe therein; to the point that when they come to you to argue with you, the disbelievers say: "These are nothing but tales of the men of old."

And how true the Qur'an is.
    So a new religion, following many others that had many disbelievers, claims that there will be people who will not believe?

Wow! Never thought of it like that before. Obviously must have come from god, and not from man. Men could never have come up with that idea!

but We have set veils on their hearts, so they understand it not
    Why would Allah deliberately stop people from believing in him? After all, the Quran says that the sole purpose of mankind is only to worship him.
    This needs properly explaining.

ReputationRep:
    Once you change religion, its a very serious decision, so sort your issues out first, try going into a mosque and ask them to help you, but ultimately your decision we all have free will

ReputationRep:
    If you say something enough times you end up believing it, as is the case with you sir.
    You mean like lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāhu muḥammadun rasūlu-llāh?

How many times have you said that?

Again, if you wont to find out about Qadr, then listen to a talk, because It requires a lot of explaining.
    Personally, I have read a great deal into the concept of Qadr, and I have seen no explanation that is not mere circular logic and non sequiturs.

The usual argument is along the lines of..."Just because Allah knows exactly what you are going to do, and he cannot be wrong about it, doesn't mean that you have to do it".

So, If I don't do exactly what Allah knows I am going to do at moment X, then he was wrong about it - which cannot happen.
    So, if I have to do what he knows I am going to do at moment X, I cannot do anything else - so my free-will is restricted.

However the Qur'an is a unique book, clear to those who look
    Hardly unique. It is full of existing Christian, Jewish and pagan ideas.
    And it is certainly clear to those who do not approach it with the indoctrinated presumption that it is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaisalNaeem03)
    Can I please stay
    Yes, as long as you are entitled to do so (according to the law, not according to Truth Teller, that is).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssdizzy12)
    I choose what I want to believe
    Ah, so you don't believe on the strength of evidence, merely because you choose to.

and I believe that there is a God , God created the sun, moon, earth all the other planets, humans and all living things.
    This is somewhat different. We pretty much know how and when all these things happened. It is not belief, it is knowledge of natural processes.

You may claim that it was god who made all those natural processes happen, but all you are doing is adding an unnecessary and unexplained extra layer to the explanation that works perfectly well without the supernatural element.

It's like insisting that you need to say a prayer over your car before you start it. You may believe this, but the car will start perfectly well without the prayer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muhammad Shehzar)
    According to Quraan, Hazrat Isa has not died
    But you just said...
    "Has anyone been there who has escaped death. No, no one has been able to do this."

So, which is it?
    Has no one escaped death, or has someone escaped death?
    Can't be both.

ReputationRep:
    Quraan and 3 other holy books were sent by Allah to show the humans what is right..
    So you claim that slavery is "right"?
    Having sex with your female slaves is "right"?
    Beating your disobedient wife is "right"?
    100 lashes for people for having consensual, adult sex is "right"?
    Killing those who oppose Islam is "right"?

All I can say is that I am mighty glad that only a tiny minority of the world's governments actually believe that the Quran is a guide to what is "right".

ReputationRep:
    I dont wanna be rude here to anyone regarding their religion & beliefs.. But rather than that I would just advise u to read Quraan with its translation which might help u answer ur questions...
    I have read the Quran (two different translations) consulting Ibn Kathir's tafsir, and it is quite clear that it is the work of 7th century Arabian culture, rather than the work of an omniscient, omnipotent, infallible supernatural being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    1. Trust and honesty are foundation stones of any healthy relationship.
    2. Parents must learn to accept that their children are individuals, not extensions of themselves.
    Yes but for some parents this is beyond thir belief I mean her parents may have dedicated themselves to the religion and having a daughter that claims to have left the religion is pretty harsh.

ReputationRep:
    Well OP, seems I'm in exactly the same position as you. However, telling my family would surely lead to them shunning me, though I suspect they may just be patronising and act like I never said I didn't believe. They'd just be in denial tbh.

I'd advise you to not say anything until you're financially independent just to be on the safe side tbh. Then after that, ease them into it and give them time to be a ****. They may be dicks for a long time, but introduce a cut off point. Maybe a couple of months, or a year max. Tell them if there's any questions you'll happily answer and be understanding. However, after that year, if they're still shunning you (this is if they react very badly to you coming out as atheist), tell them you won't see them anymore. Use that as leverage when you're financially independent. If your family loves you at all they'll respond to this and want to keep connected with you somehow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Being gay is a choice.

Some people were straight but now they are gay so, what has happened? It is a choice.

In secs school I knew 2 gay people.
    When did you make the choice to be straight sister?

ReputationRep:
    Being gay is a choice.
    OK. Could you, personally, have sex with another woman?

Some people were straight but now they are gay so, what has happened? It is a choice.
    Many people resist or hide their natural sexuality for a number of reasons - not least if they are from a religious community. Have you heard the expression "coming out"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MamzZass)
    Im...idk a liberal muslim maybe? Agnostic? Anyway I find myself questioning a lot of Qur'ans teachings these days especially after studying RMPS for 5 years and i still am. I do consider myself a muslim in identity, however, that doesn't mean that i blindly follow everything in the faith. tbh a lot of the sayings and teachings are quite nonsensical. But despite all of Islam's flaws, be they plentiful indeed, i myself chose to accept the good parts of the religion whilst disregarding all of the outdated mumbo-jumbo it offers.
    A very interesting, and refreshingly honest, approach. Unusual amongst Muslims.

So, do you still consider the Quran to be literally authored by god?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rat_Bag)
    And you weren't present 1400 years ago, so by your reasoning, you cannot say it is written by God.

U were also not present 1400 years ago, so ho can u say that is is wrong...
    You need to understand the nature of evidence and the concept of "burden of proof".

You are making the extraordinary claim that a supernatural being wrote a book. Not only is there no real evidence for the existence of said being, but the content of the book suggests that it was probably written by 7th cebtury Arabs.

Therefore, if someone doubts your claim, it is your responsibility to support it, not the sceptics to disprove it.
    Just imagine a legal system where anybody accused of anything by anybody had to prove their innocence!
    An example: I accuse you of eating pork and drinking alcohol in secret, a year ago. Now, is it up to you to prove that you didn't, or up to me to prove that you did?

As Carl Sagan said (paraphrasing Truzzi, Laplace and Hume) - "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salx.x)
    I come from a fairly liberal Muslim family in London. I don't wear Hijab and I don't pray. My family aren't bad people, but they really do have high expectations for me. My mum says everyday that she knows I'll be great and that she prays everyday that I'll be successful. My siblings are more the issue though, they also have high expectations and have recently become more practising. I know I should wait till I'm old enough to move out (I'm still in school), but it's been a few weeks since I've come to realise of my atheism and I'm already going crazy. I have studied Islam in depth and there's many things I believe are wrong and disagree with. I'm going to ask you not to post any Qur'an verses, even though I know someone will. What can I do to prepare myself to tell them I'm atheist? And how should I tell them? I can already see what my life is going to be if I don't leave Islam soon. I'll only carry on living my miserable life, doing things I don't believe and passing those beliefs to my children who'll have to live the miserable life I did. I respect Islam and Muslims, but I really do have strong views about things on the dark side of religion that everyone seems to overlook. I got into a really heated argument once with a friend who said that being gay is a choice because it says that nobody is born gay in the Quran. I have my own morals and I don't need religion to keep me in place.
    Has anyone else ever left Islam, and if so how did your family react?
    Im in the exact same boat.
    I've left Islam but my family is clueless about my "new" found atheism.
    If you ever need to chat or talk just PM.

Good luck to you and please ignore some of the comments on this thread by hurt Muslims. The concept of having your own opinion, having choice and being secular is a concept they dont understand.

ReputationRep:
    Being gay is a choice.

In secs school I knew 2 gay people.
    Name:  e4a829e2-502a-42d4-898f-f3169442026b-bestSizeAvailable.png
Views: 98
Size:  205.0 KB

(Original post by QE2)
    OK. Could you, personally, have sex with another woman?

Many people resist or hide their natural sexuality for a number of reasons - not least if they are from a religious community. Have you heard the expression "coming out"?
    No, I will never have sex with another woman as I don't think is right and whilst I may find some pretty I am not sexually attracted to them.

Yes, some people may hide the fact that they are gay and pretend to be straight but we should not forget those who were actually straight but now they are gay, this is a possibility that we can't deny.

(Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    When did you make the choice to be straight sister?
    well, when I see people(friends and secondary groups) of the same sex as me and see nothing sexual in them.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.